Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V6

Old 05-20-2012, 08:21 PM   #1
Outlaw_Nation
Account Suspended

Drives: 1LT/M6
Home Built.

Well i know im new to the site but i have been slowly lurking and picking up information where i can. and well i have decided at my money situation and with this crappy economy, i have decided to built or at least construct a turbo kit for my camaro (v6)(LLT) i already know all or most of the parts that i would need for the kit. of course i would need a turbo with housing and such. also of course im going to be need an Inter cooler with piping and such that will go to the car. also a waste gate and blow off valve with oil components and lines and such. Also tuning which i already have bought and installed (trifecta tune )

i have spoken to a few shops around my area and well one that is willing to do the turbo kit wants 7500 for install and all. Me myself knowing how things are and such i know i can build one for cheaper...way cheaper and well im very DIY and have a lot of friends and shops that can help in my area.

i have info and knowledge on turbos and turbo'ed cars from my brother owning an evo and also being part of a known JDM site ( i know im USDM ).

well here are a few questions i have. i know our motors and transmissions are Garbage..no one can lie about that, of course you can hide from it tho ? :dunno: me myself. ive blown my tranny at 5k , blew my motor at 38k , and snapped the rear at 40K right now im at 50ishK.

First..what turbo size/housing would be good/could be supported by our cars? of course i dont think im going to go twin turbo because i feel myself thats more for power making and such im looking for quick spool up and such. so single would be made for me.

Second what type / size of intercooler would be best to fit behind the bumper of course we are going to have fab and such to fit i think? i would like to keep it sleeper as many call it.

a local fab/speed shop offered to do the piping for the turbo kit ( connecting the intercooler and all that) for around 500$.

i know a memeber i think if i recalled correctly called PT_killa or something made his own kit. i think he either fell off the world or his car took a dump. i would LOVE to hear from him and see whats up with his car and such. how is it runnning how reliable is it and all that .

Lastly. i pretty sure i dont want to run it in the back of the car or such in the mid / under the car. where i live it rains alot and when it rains..IT POURS so the streets get a little flooded ( my brakes sometimes smoke because of the water hitting them or being flooded under or such ) so im mainly and hopefully looking into an engine bay turbo.

any help or info from anyone would be HIGHLY thanked for!

another home built for us!
Outlaw_Nation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:29 AM   #2
Mach

Drives: White M6 1LT RS
Wait for the HPS turbo kit. It will be a front mounted unit for under $5000. That's hard to beat and these guys do great work.

If you want to get a engine bay turbo at least buy their exhaust manifolds which sweep forward to the front of the motor. I cannot imagine building one of these myself.
Pfadt Sway Bars - FE3 Suspension - Barton Shifter - IdealG's Clutch Master Cylinder - Trifecta - Vmax TB - Vararam Intake - MACE 25mm Insulator - Plenum Insulator - Ported/Gasket Matched Intake Manifold - Rx Catchcan - AAC DRL's - 4 Pack Aux Gauges - Steering Controls - AAC Afterburners - DIY Led Sidemarkers - ZL1 Front End

Next mod: Done!

Last edited by Mach; 05-21-2012 at 09:10 AM.
Mach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:18 AM   #3
V6owner
Cedar Creek Woodshop

Drives: One Badass 1LE
Good luck man. Tracy is very knowledgeable if you have questions "SC2150"
Old 05-21-2012, 09:53 AM   #4
Outlaw_Nation
Account Suspended

i will have to buy a turbo manifold that is correct i guess i could buy it off HPS.

i dont follow to many companies because they never come thru >.< the only company that i see coming thru is RX -_- ima check up on HPS.
Old 05-21-2012, 08:27 PM   #5
Can't_C_Me
Don't Sleep on My V6

Drives: 2016 C7 1LT
Keep us posted!!
Old 05-21-2012, 10:31 PM   #6
Outlaw_Nation
Account Suspended

im waiting on HPS to give us an update. so far ive put the payment for the pipiing
Old 05-21-2012, 10:42 PM   #7
V6owner
Cedar Creek Woodshop

Drives: One Badass 1LE
I can't wait to see this!
Old 05-22-2012, 07:57 AM   #8
probee773

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1LT RS 6MT Double Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw_Nation View Post
i know our motors and transmissions are Garbage..no one can lie about that, of course you can hide from it tho ? :dunno: me myself. ive blown my tranny at 5k , blew my motor at 38k , and snapped the rear at 40K right now im at 50ishK.

probee773 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 08:14 AM   #9
Outlaw_Nation
Account Suspended

tell me about it -_- my parents were like sell that ******* car lol
Old 05-22-2012, 01:26 PM   #10
Pt_killa

Drives: Black 2010 Camaro V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw_Nation View Post
Well i know im new to the site but i have been slowly lurking and picking up information where i can. and well i have decided at my money situation and with this crappy economy, i have decided to built or at least construct a turbo kit for my camaro (v6)(LLT) i already know all or most of the parts that i would need for the kit. of course i would need a turbo with housing and such. also of course im going to be need an Inter cooler with piping and such that will go to the car. also a waste gate and blow off valve with oil components and lines and such. Also tuning which i already have bought and installed (trifecta tune )

i have spoken to a few shops around my area and well one that is willing to do the turbo kit wants 7500 for install and all. Me myself knowing how things are and such i know i can build one for cheaper...way cheaper and well im very DIY and have a lot of friends and shops that can help in my area.

i have info and knowledge on turbos and turbo'ed cars from my brother owning an evo and also being part of a known JDM site ( i know im USDM ).

well here are a few questions i have. i know our motors and transmissions are Garbage..no one can lie about that, of course you can hide from it tho ? :dunno: me myself. ive blown my tranny at 5k , blew my motor at 38k , and snapped the rear at 40K right now im at 50ishK.

First..what turbo size/housing would be good/could be supported by our cars? of course i dont think im going to go twin turbo because i feel myself thats more for power making and such im looking for quick spool up and such. so single would be made for me.

Second what type / size of intercooler would be best to fit behind the bumper of course we are going to have fab and such to fit i think? i would like to keep it sleeper as many call it.

a local fab/speed shop offered to do the piping for the turbo kit ( connecting the intercooler and all that) for around 500$.

i know a memeber i think if i recalled correctly called PT_killa or something made his own kit. i think he either fell off the world or his car took a dump. i would LOVE to hear from him and see whats up with his car and such. how is it runnning how reliable is it and all that .

Lastly. i pretty sure i dont want to run it in the back of the car or such in the mid / under the car. where i live it rains alot and when it rains..IT POURS so the streets get a little flooded ( my brakes sometimes smoke because of the water hitting them or being flooded under or such ) so im mainly and hopefully looking into an engine bay turbo.

any help or info from anyone would be HIGHLY thanked for!

Very cool trying to build your own turbo kit. Also sorry to hear about your car troubles but it sounds like you have it fixed up again.

My car is still running in good shape at about 55k miles boosted and 80k miles total (2 years worth of driving!). I'm out of the country for a while hence the reason for no posts. But to answer your questions:

turbo size/housing: You can make due with anything from a 60mm to 72mm turbo. If mounting in the front, I would definitely run a 67 or 72mm compressor with .80-1.00+ exhaust AR housing. I currently run a rear mount 67mm with .82ar housing and full 6.5psi in 3rd (auto) by 4000rpm. To compare sts kits use a much smaller 60mm with a .68ar housing but they spool a little earlier but tend to die off after 5500rpm due to the exhaust housing size and the turbo's efficiency after that rpm.

Intercooler size: The biggest I could fit with the transmission cool in place in front of the radiator without cutting or complicated piping was 4"x12"x31". The biggest physically if you wanted to cut and have fancy piping looks to be 4.5 to 6" thick, 18-20" tall and 35" long maybe. If you want a sleeper sized intercooler make sure the cross sectional (widthxheight) area is large enough to suit the flow as our cars demand a lot of air. I ran a 2.5"x12" initially and the intercooler became an air restriction and lost tons of hp. There are many more facts about getting the most hp and flow out of an intercooler so PM me or google if you want to know more.

If you could buy the manifolds from HPS that would be awesome and save a lot of time. You could have it all put together in a day once you have all the parts (Oil return might be some work to install without a pump though?). Last thing, is your car manual or auto? I have an auto trans and it seems like the two weak points are the rear diff and torque converter. You might want to think about updating those if your driving an auto.
(Sold Sept 2015) Stock 18" Heritage w/ BFG G-Force ZR tires / Blacked out bowties and tail lights / DIY Remote-Mount Turbo Kit (Precision 6776S .81ar ex. @ 6.5psi, Tial 38mm WG, Greddy Type-S BOV) / RX Catch Can / RX-FTI 3600 Stall / Blue Well Lights / Team LLT
Pt_killa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 04:32 PM   #11
Outlaw_Nation
Account Suspended

STICK SHIFT :P

where could i get the pump?