Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 06-19-2018, 11:43 PM   #1
Hankwvu

Drives: Gto
Front end protection.....

I am prepping to set out on a 2 week cross country run. I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for front end covering (NOT a car bra) that I can put on for temp use. It doesn't have to look perfect, but should be something I can handle doing on my own. It has been recommended about the 3m clear covering. Anyone tried doing that on their own?
Hankwvu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 02:11 PM   #2
Joe M 2012 2SS

Drives: 2012 2SS
Road Warrior Paint Protection.

Roto-Fab intake, SW 1 7/8" LT w/hi flow cats, Flowmaster outlaw exhaust, UDP, 160* stat, Circle D 3200, Moroso catch can, TCI line lock, Zex Nitrous 125 shot, 3.91 gear, Eaton True-trac, DSS 1000hp axles.
Joe M 2012 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 02:17 PM   #3
gringo
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro V6
Novistretch. I don't think it will protect against rock chips like a clear bra would, but it will offer some form of protection rather than running with nothing at all.

Road Wrap. You got to watch out for the edges that like to peel up. I actually used clear packing tape to secure the edges and had no problem. However, I only had it on the car for a 2 days max, not 2 weeks.

Colllision wrap. They sell a long term version that you can leave on the car for up to 6 months, but it only comes in white, I believe.

Blue painters tape. It won't last two weeks and will need to be reapplied several times, but it's probably your cheapest option.
gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 02:26 PM   #4
the85darkknight

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS Green Flash Edition
NoviStretch. It can be taken off at any time. Great for bugs. They also offer covers for your mirrors:

https://www.amazon.com/Camaro-NoviSt...9522683&sr=8-1

https://www.amazon.com/Camaro-NoviSt...9522683&sr=8-2

IG: StarSaber85(https://www.instagram.com/starsaber85/)

Performance Mods:
CAI, Inc. Cold Air Intake; ADM Racing Scoop; Bo White Ported Throttle Body; GPI Ported Rod Mod Intake; Kooks 1-7/8" Headers with Catted Connections; Solo Mach XL Axle-Back Exhaust

the85darkknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 03:47 PM   #5
SSEssence
Instagram: Sangstah

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1LE
blue painters tape for a quick fix for sure

Follow the build https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=612717
SSEssence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 11:45 PM   #6
Hankwvu

Drives: Gto
Well, I'm going to give the 3m a try. I know it will take some time to put on, but I want the protection, but to look decent for TV.
Hankwvu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 06:29 AM   #7
Deputy347k9

Drives: 2014 Ashen Gray Convertible
From RPI Designs I purchased the Covercraft Colgan Bra which comes in two pieces. One smaller section for the leading 8" or so for the hood then the actual bra. I went with this one being it's padded and much thicker than others offered. This bra fits like a fine leather glove and secures extremely well. I only use it for road trips where there is much greater chance of small stone chips. I just came back from the 2018 Hot Rod Power Tour and I am so thrilled I had the Covercraft Colgan Bra on the Camaro. Each night I would brush off all the bugs from the bra, no scrubbing. Upon return home I removed the bra and the nose shined as much as the day I put the bra on 9 days earlier!

I found the service from RPI Design to be fantastic.
Attached Images

Old 06-21-2018, 09:30 AM   #8
Mike14bumblebee

Drives: 2014 yellow 2SS/RS
I would say the NoviStretch mask as well. I have one and it goes on and comes off in a matter of seconds after initial install. I think it looks good on the car too.
Old 06-23-2018, 07:11 PM   #9
gringo
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deputy347k9 View Post
From RPI Designs I purchased the Covercraft Colgan Bra which comes in two pieces. One smaller section for the leading 8" or so for the hood then the actual bra. I went with this one being it's padded and much thicker than others offered. This bra fits like a fine leather glove and secures extremely well. I only use it for road trips where there is much greater chance of small stone chips. I just came back from the 2018 Hot Rod Power Tour and I am so thrilled I had the Covercraft Colgan Bra on the Camaro. Each night I would brush off all the bugs from the bra, no scrubbing. Upon return home I removed the bra and the nose shined as much as the day I put the bra on 9 days earlier!

I found the service from RPI Design to be fantastic.

Deputy, was there any damage like fine scuffing or abrasion to the paint after the trip?

When you read about leather bra's, they make it seem like it's the worst thing you can do. You know, leather bra's are not good because dirt and moisture can get under and damage the paint, bla, bla, bla.

For the price of a clear bra front end kit, you can buy an old beater (and a pretty decent one at that) for the price these clear bra installers want.

If the leather bra doesn't damage the paint as long as you take it off after a few days and clean under it, I just might go with a leather bra myself if I go on long road trips. I think spending $2k+ for a clear bra front end kit is little excessive. Even if you're filthy rich, that's still a good chunk of change.
gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 06:36 PM   #10
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Drives: [COTW 2/09/15] '11 GPI LSA SC Z/LE
I’ve used road warrior plus with great success...trips and road course. Only thing against it is if it rains...

-Don
hammdo is offline   Reply With Quote