Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-01-2010, 07:50 PM   #1
StealthMan

Drives: 88 IROC-Z Convert, 08 Jeep Rubicon
Is the reference to "Maro" new?

I have owned a Camaro since 1988 and so have many of my friends. I have never refered to my Camaro as a "Maro", but I notice that lots of people on here do. Is it the younger generation calling it this name?

Not to hurt any feelings, but I don't like the reference of the Camaro as "Maro"...sounds odd to me
StealthMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 07:52 PM   #2
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
My buddy owns a 1996 RS and has always called it the 'Maro.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 07:55 PM   #3
kutch720

Drives: Camaro 1LT RS
Maybe it is a location thing? I called it a Maro when i was younger.
kutch720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 08:01 PM   #4
PAUL SS
The Mark of Excellence

Drives: 2010 ABM 1SS RS LS3
Easier to fit on a license plate if you like it.
Old 01-01-2010, 08:10 PM   #5
Captain Vlad

Drives: 2010 Camaro Black 2SS/RS
I'd never heard it before I met CF, who sometimes used to refer to her 1980 model with the term. I sorta like it though. Seems affectionate.
Old 01-01-2010, 08:15 PM   #6
Easy Go

Drives: LLT MV5 B34 N65... period.
Is this supposed to be the counterpoint to "Stang"? Why not just add on the "Ca"? It's only one syllable and takes only a fraction of a second to utter.

some slang just isn't worth it
In the early morning... when there's only a mere suggestion that the sun is going to bother coming up at all that day - a CGM blur accompanied by the anthem of 312 horses awakens the morning commuters from their NPR-induced stupor. Charging past the front lines in an all-or-nothing battle cry that the King has returned...
Easy Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 08:21 PM   #7
Captain Vlad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Go View Post
Is this supposed to be the counterpoint to "Stang"? Why not just add on the "Ca"? It's only one syllable and takes only a fraction of a second to utter.

some slang just isn't worth it
Because the slightly shortened term sounds less formal, more familiar, and more affectionate than uttering the complete word, thus conveying your deep fondness for your vehicle with but a single syllable.

IE: "I love my Camaro. It's black." conveys the message, but "My 'Maro is black." conveys the same sentiment more efficiently and arguably with more emphasis on how much you like it.
Old 01-01-2010, 08:25 PM   #8
Easy Go

if it convey's anything at all, it would be laziness or a lame attempt at seeming hip.

Call it a "Maro" or a "Cammy" or whatever you like. All that really matters is that you drive one!
In the early morning... when there's only a mere suggestion that the sun is going to bother coming up at all that day - a CGM blur accompanied by the anthem of 312 horses awakens the morning commuters from their NPR-induced stupor. Charging past the front lines in an all-or-nothing battle cry that the King has returned...
Old 01-01-2010, 08:30 PM   #9
Captain Vlad

Quote:
if it convey's anything at all, it would be laziness or a lame attempt at seeming hip.
Then I guess you shouldn't use the term; to others, it means exactly what I said, and will continue to do so despite your incorrect assessment.
Old 01-01-2010, 08:33 PM   #10
Easy Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Vlad View Post
Then I guess you shouldn't use the term; to others, it means exactly what I said, and will continue to do so despite your incorrect assessment.
You are assuming, of course, that others will receive the slang as intended. I would expect a lot of people to say "Do you mean 'Camaro'?" - unless you are standing right next to it of course... Good for a license plate, I suppose.

If it was white, you could affectionately refer to it as your "Marsh-Maro".
Old 01-01-2010, 08:36 PM   #11
Captain Vlad

Quote:
You are assuming, of course, that others will receive the slang as intended.
True, though in most cases, if you're using the term around someone who doesn't own a Camaro, you're bragging about your car, and therefore the meaning, and the fact that you're using an affectionate pet name for it, should be sufficient to get the meaning across.

Not that I talk about the car a lot.

Totally don't.

Quote:
If it was white, you could affectionately refer to it as your "Marsh-Maro".
Thousands have been sold. You know someone does exactly that.

Though because of the way you spelled it, I'm imagining a camo SS with giant mud tires.
Old 01-01-2010, 08:39 PM   #12
Easy Go

I get what you're saying. I just think the full name "Camaro" radiates maximum coolness all on it's own.
Old 01-01-2010, 08:41 PM   #13
LS 1st gen
Kept the Faith.

Drives: 2010 VR 2SS
Send a message via AIM to LS 1st gen
Please stop the "Maro".
Old 01-01-2010, 08:42 PM   #14
Captain Vlad

Quote:
I get what you're saying. I just think the full name "Camaro" radiates maximum coolness all on it's own.
Not as well as just revving the engine.