Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Other Generations > 1st & 2nd Generation Camaros

Old 05-28-2008, 09:00 AM   #1
carguy_z28
eating 1 ricer @ a time

Drives: 1974 Z28, 2011 5.0
dealer messed up bad on my plugs...afraid there's damage

I went and bought some bosche X2 plugs yesterday, I didnt know exactly what one's I needed so I asked the guy at the auto parts ( napa ) shop, and he said " these are them" So after I pulled the old crappy NGK plugs, I installed the new ones, I thought somthing looked off with the new ones, as they were SLIGHTLY longer than the old ones, and once in, I fired up the car, and all I heard was a loud "clack clack clack" sound, so I shut the car down, I pulled a plug, and the plugs were bent!!! So now im afraid that I may have caused engine damage... I was going to do a compression test but dont know what it was at before so I figured thats usless anyways... So today im going to go down to NAPA and tear into him, ( it was the manager that sold them to me ) and let him know that he's going to be responsible for paying for my motor to be pulled apart and checked out... Do you think that 5 seconds of running would have caused some severe damage??
Old 05-28-2008, 10:30 AM   #2
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Oh boy,

At least the piston heads will be scratched and dinged. Which will create hot spots and greatly lessen the life of the pistons and efficiency of the engine.

Based on your post, it doesn't sound like there was heavy impact. But the worst case is all of the bearings between the piston and the crank could now be damaged and that's not good. You'll be able to run it for a while but you will start to hear significant knocking and then you are out of options. You are looking at a new bottom end much sooner than you would have other wise.

Get all your facts straight, and go after them. They will fight you so you need to be able to accurately recreate the transaction and everything you discussed with the sales person. In the end it will be your word against theirs. Hopefully they will come clean. Good luck!
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 11:02 AM   #3
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
^I was thinking the same thing. I'd go back in there w/ a voice recorder and ask him again what kind of plugs go for your application. If his mind changes in this new order, ask him about yesterdays order. He WILL recall it. Get him to say that he sold you the plugs for your application. Audio is admissable in civil court (or at least it should be) and should seriously help you get the cash you pay in damages recouped. They won't want to pay, though. That's why I say record it or bring in a witness with you.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 11:09 AM   #4
carguy_z28
eating 1 ricer @ a time

yes, my friend with the SS chevelle, ( a cop ) was with me when I bought them, and helped me install them also...so he's comming with me...
Old 05-28-2008, 11:15 AM   #5
Muscle Master
SS Lightning

Drives: An SRT8
wow I glad you did'nt run it longer, surprise the rod and piston didnt go thru the oil pan....

Quote:
The first rule of modding something that's not American is to not try to compete with modded V8 cars that are American. Really, they can run insane power with little investment. It's not even a fair fight.
Camaro 2SS RS, IBM, White Rally Stripes, custom fuel door: Status: going to the dealer: soon
Muscle Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 11:17 AM   #6
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy_z28 View Post
yes, my friend with the SS chevelle, ( a cop ) was with me when I bought them, and helped me install them also...so he's comming with me...
Excellent. Take him back w/ you. He witnessed everything. If there's any problems at the auto parts store, he would know it would be wise to get an on duty officer out to document the civil matter should it go to civil court later on.

Very good.
Old 05-28-2008, 01:51 PM   #7
carguy_z28
eating 1 ricer @ a time

yeah. its not going to go to court. I just got back from there, the general manager said he will work with me to sort out any problems that may have been created from this situation, and he'll find out what plugs I need and give them to me for free also...
Old 05-28-2008, 02:00 PM   #8
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
That's how business should be done.
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 07:53 PM   #9
MerF
Go Rays!

Drives: 03 Trailblazer
Grats!
MerF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 12:10 AM   #10
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy_z28 View Post
yeah. its not going to go to court. I just got back from there, the general manager said he will work with me to sort out any problems that may have been created from this situation, and he'll find out what plugs I need and give them to me for free also...
Good deal! I just hope there isn't too much damage and then general manager changes his mind. Congrats again.