Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-26-2011, 11:44 PM   #1
enyce0387

Drives: 2011 camaro 2ss/rs ls3
Why did you get a manual?

Since us M6 guys keep getting bashed for our responses on the automatic thread i figured we should start our own. My top three reasons for buying a manual...

1. So your saying i have to pay an extra $1,185 for GM to take away 26 horsepower?

2. I don't know if Im alone on this one buy whenever i drive an automatic i feel like i don't pay as much attention to the road. When i drive my M6 i have to be ready to change gears, rev match, downshift, and then i jump into an automatic car and it does everything for me its like i don't have to pay attention anymore like the cars on autopilot.

3. Correct me if Im wrong but on the auto cars when you pull the shifter all the way down i believe the car goes into M which would be manual mode. If and automatic was the way to go why would it need manual mode? i don't see any Stick shift cars with a D mode where the transmission shifts itself(not talking Smg's cars with an actual clutch pedal...)

I don't mean to come off like a jerk or offend anybody, obviously everyone is going to pick which they prefer regardless, but there's just something about driving a manual transmission that us manual guys understand, and from what i read in all the car magazines were the last of a dying breed....
enyce0387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 11:52 PM   #2
IamJacksCamaro

Drives: Camaro LS M6, Fiero, Ford F100
My first car was manual, most others have been; even the daily drivers. I've been driving since 1986.
IamJacksCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 12:38 AM   #3
gelboy1015

Drives: '10 2SS/RS, MKIII Supras
My other cars have been manual as well. Plus not many people can drive a manual, so those who cant drive manual cant drive my car, whereas anyone can drive an automatic...
gelboy1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 07:26 AM   #4
BigCarrot
xbox: this is tedious

Drives: 2011 1SS M6 Camaro IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gelboy1015 View Post
My other cars have been manual as well. Plus not many people can drive a manual, so those who cant drive manual cant drive my car, whereas anyone can drive an automatic...
Great point! That's nice insurance
Seems like just yesterday I spent $450 for a Roto Fab CAI!!! What the hell happened.
BigCarrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 07:57 AM   #5
SSRob

Drives: Acura RSX Type S
Quote:
Originally Posted by gelboy1015 View Post
Same here, it's a perfect reason to refuse to let someone drive my car. It can be a blessing and a curse....but mostly a blessing.
SSRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 08:04 AM   #6
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Just way more fun. I feel like I'm really driving the car. My wife feels exactly the same way. No way we would've bought an Auto. Not including the $1800 upgrade and loss of HP from the L99 but also the loss of power through the drivetrain.

Can't tell you how many times I've walked up to many great looking cars and say "man that's a nice car" to look inside, see it's an auto, and say "too bad it's an automatic".
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 08:11 AM   #7
c-dub
It's that guy

Drives: 2011 SIM SS/RS
I drove an 01 Z28 and it was fun and fast, but it was auto. When i went for my 11' SS I knew I had to get the 6 speed. Way more fun ot be had now. I like it also for the aformentioned reason that not many people can drive a stick.

The only PROBLEM I have now is a bunch of douche-bags in my office/unit trying to make fun of me because when I was getting re-accustomed to driving the M6 I naturally stalled out a few times, now they wont stfu about it even though half of them drive automatic cars.
Old 04-27-2011, 08:14 AM   #8
Tom

Drives: 2010 SS Red Jewel 6 spd manual
Because I wanted the most bad ass Camaro available in 2010.
The LS3
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 08:14 AM   #9
ronss

Drives: 2SS CGM/GRND FX/STRIPES/CAI, manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by enyce0387 View Post
Since us M6 guys keep getting bashed for our responses on the automatic thread i figured we should start our own. My top three reasons for buying a manual...

1. So your saying i have to pay an extra $1,185 for GM to take away 26 horsepower?

2. I don't know if Im alone on this one buy whenever i drive an automatic i feel like i don't pay as much attention to the road. When i drive my M6 i have to be ready to change gears, rev match, downshift, and then i jump into an automatic car and it does everything for me its like i don't have to pay attention anymore like the cars on autopilot.

3. Correct me if Im wrong but on the auto cars when you pull the shifter all the way down i believe the car goes into M which would be manual mode. If and automatic was the way to go why would it need manual mode? i don't see any Stick shift cars with a D mode where the transmission shifts itself(not talking Smg's cars with an actual clutch pedal...)

I don't mean to come off like a jerk or offend anybody, obviously everyone is going to pick which they prefer regardless, but there's just something about driving a manual transmission that us manual guys understand, and from what i read in all the car magazines were the last of a dying breed....
ditto!!!
ronss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 08:17 AM   #10
BigCarrot
xbox: this is tedious

Drives: 2011 1SS M6 Camaro IOM
Yeah I've stalled out on the road before and people about lose their minds when that happens. Like I intentionally did it!
Seems like just yesterday I spent $450 for a Roto Fab CAI!!! What the hell happened.
BigCarrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 08:26 AM   #11
nancygrl
雪の玉

Drives: '22 Z71 RST Silverado
1. To me it's not a proper muscle car if it doesn't have a manual.
2. I've been driving manuals for the past 30 yrs.
3. They're way more fun.
4. Anybody can drive an automatic.
nancygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 08:29 AM   #12
BlueDragonVT

Drives: 2011 IBM Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by enyce0387 View Post
Since us M6 guys keep getting bashed for our responses on the automatic thread i figured we should start our own.
Just my two cents here, but I think the reason you guys, "keep getting bashed," is because the manual guys start the fight. Go read through that thread again. You won't see anyone talking crap about the manual. You will see statements of personal preferences for why people chose the auto. Then you will see the manual guys jumping in with, "Only wimps drive autos," "A 6.2L V8 Auto is a sin," "Real men drive stick," and similar comments. The attitude always seems to be that Person A is somehow better than Person B, because Person A drives a manual, and Person B drives an auto.

It is almost the same issue as the V8 vs. V6 discussions. Some of the V8 folks around here seem to look down on the V6ers. At the end of the day, the reason I would never have bought a manual is the same reason I didn't even consider the V6: I wouldn't have been completely happy with my car. It wouldn't have been the vehicle I wanted.

Now, the $1200.00 difference in price? I'll give you that one. In my opinion, that is some serious , but oh well, it's what I wanted, so I payed it.
Old 04-27-2011, 08:32 AM   #13
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT
I just can't see owning a sports/pony/muscle car without a manual.

It's more fun, I don't mind it in the traffic.
Old 04-27-2011, 08:32 AM   #14
uefa2k1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Send a message via AIM to uefa2k1
Only wimps drive autos, A 6.2L V8 Auto is a sin, plus Real men drive stick

LOL sorry had to, my main reason was the LS3 and the price difference