Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-18-2012, 08:41 PM   #1
ActNup NY

Drives: 2011 1LT Black Camaro
Ever misjudge a distance with your car

Just curious as to see how many of you ever misjudge a turn, driveway, or ramp, etc. Got caught twice (second one was quite embarrassing-) since being a proud owner of my camaro. Today I drove up in McDonalds to get a grill chicken sandwich I saw the entrance (driveway) as I was driving up the street. So as I proceeded up the ramp and went to turn into the alloted space. Now mind you I clearly saw the the space I was going to park in from the entrance way.

So I thought I judged it right, so as I'm swinging(not crazy or nothing like that) in a hear like a "dragging" sound along side the passenger's door underneath. I quickly stopped the car, and reverse slowly figuring I would prevent any more "futher" damage to the car. I proceeded to come out and as I'm rounding the front of the car to see what I did to my girl, I'm saying to myself "oh please, oh please, dont let it be bad." First thing I did was examine the area by the door.

The car didn't come close to the railing because I'm gonna assume a McDonald worker probably earlier left the bun crates on an angle on the railing as you enter on to the lot leading into the parking space. (I've been there before and seen them just throw the crates out to the lot after they finished taking the buns off them) I let out a big sigh of relief Then I said to hell with McDonalds. Being that the car is so long at times It's hard to gage the distance. Just felt like telling the story today.
Old 05-18-2012, 08:44 PM   #2
SimpleGreen

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS
I'm still getting used to stopping well short of parking curbs. Luckily I haven't drug the nose up onto anything yet.

My previous ride was a 2005 crew cab Silverado. High up so you could hang the nose over curbs, etc, easily. You pretty much had to anyways since the truck was so long so you could get it out of the street.

Oh, I had to go to a drive in ATM today. Kind of unrelated, but still...that SUCKS.
SimpleGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 08:47 PM   #3
Dylan88
UCF Knights

Drives: 2012 2LT RS
First day I scraped the underside on a parking stop (no damage) and I drove over a curb while doing a u-turn.
Old 05-18-2012, 08:47 PM   #4
ActNup NY

Don't worry.... Be happy....(whistles)
Old 05-18-2012, 08:49 PM   #5

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Making a left hand turn, stopped, waiting for oncoming cars to clear, center median caught left rear wheel slightly...couldn't see it, didn't pull out far enough before turning...lol
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 08:51 PM   #6
CharlieRS

Drives: Metallic Silver RS
yeah at work the curbs aren't as high as normal ones, but they're low enough to not be seen. it's already pretty hard to see over the from end, intact i can't see over mine at all luckily i heard the little bump and went out and checked. i dented and scratched the bumper. nothing too bad. i pushed the bumper back in place but the scratch were still there... until i wrecked.
CharlieRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 08:53 PM   #7
shrinkdoc

Drives: SRT Yugo GT Super Sport with Manual
Thats because you cant see the right corner of the hood because of the Cowl Induction Hump.
shrinkdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 08:54 PM   #8
2xSSRS

Drives: 2017 SS Black on Black A8
With the cowl up and the front nose down, it's hard to judge. Been lucky so. No bumps or lumps.
Old 05-18-2012, 08:57 PM   #9
stlrammer

Drives: 2017 1SS Blue
Been driving the new Camaros for 3 years now and there are blind spots for sure. I tinted the SS and it made it worse. Guess I've been lucky so far as I haven't nicked a rim yet.
Old 05-18-2012, 08:59 PM   #10
ActNup NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan88 View Post
First day I scraped the underside on a parking stop (no damage) and I drove over a curb while doing a u-turn.
Dude that's simailar to my second story. I drove nose first into the mobile gas station to get gas. So when I was done filling up I too made a uturn from the pump heading towards the street. Once again I saw the ramp, but for some strange reason I misjudge where the ramp was again and drove right off the actual sidewalk. ( yeah I can laugh now, but back then it wasn't funny) I came home and told the wife-she called me a spas
Old 05-18-2012, 09:03 PM   #11
kjkjr27
COTW 9/16/13

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS Camaro IOM
Ran over a curb one time making a right turn. Other that that whenever I back into a space i always manage to leave so much room behind there. From all my mirrors it seems real close and when I hear the back up sensors going off I stop and when i get out there is like a 4ft gape
Old 05-18-2012, 10:45 PM   #12
trooper182

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1LT yellow non RS
First week I had her I was making a right turn out of a BOA parking lot and cut the turn too close and ended up driving up and off a curb. SCRAAAP!! Man I was ticked at my self. Surprisingly only a few scrapes under the passenger side
Staff Sergeant U.S. Army 13B Gun Bunny. 2011 Camaro 1LT A6 Mods: Pypes bomb V8 exhaust, Magnaflow x-pipe, resonator delete, Roto-Fab cold air intake, Vmax Black Ice-olator, Elite Engineering catch can, painted engine cover and fuse box cover, 3dCarbon Front Fender Vents, Street Scene Front Splitter, ZL1 Side Rockers, Anvil Notch Rear Spoiler, interior/engine bay LED lights, two JL Audio W3's 10" and 1000w kenwood amp
trooper182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 11:33 PM   #13
skipinminn
Chiquita

Drives: 2013 1LE/1SS YELLO1LE 1 of Only 28
Backed into a dumpster pretty much ignored the Beep beep beep beep Thinking can't be that close yet :( $1000 for bumper repair and it was just a little nick :(
skipinminn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 11:58 PM   #14
MagnusKrans

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS L99
I've scraped the hell out of the underside of my front fascia on parking curbs since the day I got my car. I just can't tell when I'm about to hit or not from inside the car. I try to stop short everytime I park now but shit still happens. You can't see the damage unless you are under the car and I don't ever plan on selling this car anyway so I'm not really worried about it. What I am worried about is running into one of those really tall parking curbs and damaging the front of the fascia.

2011 1SS/RS L99 VR

- - Livernois 2c-hl cam, Livernois stage 2 heads, ported intake, ported TB, CAI intake, ADM scoop, Stainless Works 1-7/8" headers w/ hfc, Magnaflow 3" exhaust. - - 451 rwhp/411 rwtq - -
MagnusKrans is offline   Reply With Quote