Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - California

Old 09-10-2012, 06:22 AM   #1
Spillz

Drives: 2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Send a message via Yahoo to Spillz
Any C5 Members in Long Beach, CA

Hi everyone, well I may have the opportunity to move from Alexandria, VA to Long Beach, CA and I need some help on what areas to live in and areas to stay away from. I'm single and ideally would love to find a home to purchase with 2 bedrooms, 1 bath, small yard, and most importantly a garage or a rental in the 1400 to 1700 per month price range. I've never been to Long Beach, CA before, so any insight would help. I will be working in downtown Long Beach, so I would like to be close. I've researched online and a lot of people have warned to stay away from North Long Beach and anything west of the 710. I may need to get rid of the ride if I cant find a place..thanks guys/gals
Spillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:35 AM   #2
linkwpc
The punching cat

Drives: '10 Camaro SS Black W/Hugger&W/IOI
I do not live in long beach but I visit a few times a year. I would look for a home in bixby knolls. I have seen the homes there and they are nice. But nothing in LA is cheap so good luck!
Old 09-10-2012, 09:56 AM   #3

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Long Beach is I think the 5th largest city in California...The types of neighborhoods and homes run the whole gamut A-Z...Just because you work in Long Beach, doesn't mean you gotta live there!....lol....I'd suggest you take your time and see for yourself...
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:32 AM   #4
Kronix
NJ/SoCal HT5 COTW 3/25/12

Drives: 2015 Z06/14 C7/08 Z06/07 Tahoe Z71
As a fellow East Coaster(South Jersey/Philly), I'll give you a few of my observations since I recently moved to LA area in May. I live in what's called the South Bay area (Redondo Beach, Hermosa Beach, Manhattan Beach) and it's a few miles north of Long Beach. Your price range is definitely low for rent if you want a house, but it could be doable. Not knowing much about you, age, job, etc..Buying would be the way to go, if the job you're getting is a good one and you see yourself there for years to come, then your mortgage payment will be where you want it. Property taxes are cheaper here than in NJ, not sure about VA. Some things are cheaper, some are more expensive.

Like someone mentioned just because you work in LB, doesn't mean you have to live there. I would look in a 10 mile radius, because here a 10 mile drive could take 30 minutes+, depending on what time you're on the road & what road you're on. There's many ways to avoid the infamous 405 (nicknamed the 4 or 5 hour), which is similar to I-95 back east.

Obviously like most places, East or West Coast, the closer to the beach you are the more money the houses are, and usually the better the neighborhood. Here in the South Bay area, the homes are very close together, one of the things I don't like, with homes usually being narrow & long.

But like I said, just get a 10 mile circle from your work will be and look at the surrounding towns. If you have any questions, feel free to shoot me a PM, as I know quite a few realtors that cover the area.

Built by Late Model Racecraft
Fastest C7 in Tri-State 10.13 @ 134mph
7/26/14 Corvette Challenge Raceway Park, E-Town, NJ
Kronix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 11:23 AM   #5
Spillz

Drives: 2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Send a message via Yahoo to Spillz
thank you

Thanks everyone for your replies. I will be working in downtown Long Beach and would like to stay pretty close by. I do realize that traffic can be hectic there, so I will take your recommendation of a 10 mile radius from the downtown area. Dont laugh, but I would like to purchase a home in an area within 45 minute drive of downtown long beach in the 250 to 350k range. I'm not looking for a huge place..its only myself...no wife, kids, or pets....Just want a garage...lol. Thanks everyone
Spillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 12:57 PM   #6
evilred6

Drives: ls camaro
I work in long beach off willow n clark in this area near the long beach air port its nice nothing crazy really.happens, ppl r nice and friendly so this part of long beach easy living
Old 09-10-2012, 03:19 PM   #7
mickandkimmie
So-Cal Race Team

Drives: 2014 2SS RS & 2013 Jeep Wrangler
We liver on the border of long beach, in Lakewood. Like someone in a prev post mentioned, the area around the airport which is just a couple of miles from me is pretty nice...
mickandkimmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:38 PM   #8
TripleB
SoCal Mayhem

Drives: 2017 2LT Hyper Blue Metallic Camaro
For prices, there's an app from realtor.com that you can do a search on a map and do a scout search and it'll pop up the homes in the area you're looking at and show prices. Some, most, have pics you can look at too. It could give you a general idea once you find an area.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:44 PM   #9
Kronix
NJ/SoCal HT5 COTW 3/25/12

Drives: 2015 Z06/14 C7/08 Z06/07 Tahoe Z71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spillz View Post
Thanks everyone for your replies. I will be working in downtown Long Beach and would like to stay pretty close by. I do realize that traffic can be hectic there, so I will take your recommendation of a 10 mile radius from the downtown area. Dont laugh, but I would like to purchase a home in an area within 45 minute drive of downtown long beach in the 250 to 350k range. I'm not looking for a huge place..its only myself...no wife, kids, or pets....Just want a garage...lol. Thanks everyone

If you don't mind me asking, what do you do for a living and who would you be working for? If you don't want to broadcast it you can always shoot me a PM. I'm not sure how Virginia is, but this state is in bad shape. Over populated, bankrupt state, over priced RE market, poor highway system & traffic, I could go on...I always thought the grass was greener when I lived in South Jersey, and quite honestly if I could turn back the hands of time knowing what I know, I would've never done it. I'm just happy I have all my properties still back east and they provide great income & I have one that stays empty for when I go back for the Eagles games and to visit family & friends.

Built by Late Model Racecraft
Fastest C7 in Tri-State 10.13 @ 134mph
7/26/14 Corvette Challenge Raceway Park, E-Town, NJ
Kronix is offline   Reply With Quote