Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 08-25-2014, 01:14 PM   #1
slakjak1215

Drives: 2014 1LS
Engineering Question

As an aspiring Engineer going through a degree in Physics right now, I always loved knowing how things worked. I know how most cars work except for one thing. I searched for the past 3 hour and I could not find anything on this subject mainly because I don't know what it is called.

I understand the suspension system on an F1 car, what I don't understand is how the rear wheels are connected to the cars differential? What kind of joint is that? I'm asking because whatever is connecting the two has to move up and down with the arms as they absorb any bumps but still deliver power to the wheels. I can only guess but so far the only idea I can come up with is a Swinging Half-Axle Suspension but I don't know if that's it.

Thanks
Old 08-25-2014, 01:23 PM   #2
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
Here's a picture that should help. Other interesting engineering talk and images @ wiki- "Formula 1 race car rear differential"
https://www.google.ca/search?q=Formu...w=1600&bih=753
Attached Images

LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 01:38 PM   #3
slakjak1215

THE YOKE! Thanks that answered the question.
Old 08-25-2014, 10:07 PM   #4
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
If you want to be an engineer why are you studying physics?

As an engineer I can openly suggest you change majors.......and soon.

Me? I have a BME And MSME and the BME had a specialty in Automotive Engineering.
Old 08-25-2014, 10:17 PM   #5
G-Oil Guy
Where am I?

Drives: Zoe the ZL1, 2012 Frontier
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
If you want to be an engineer why are you studying physics?

As an engineer I can openly suggest you change majors.......and soon.

Me? I have a BME And MSME and the BME had a specialty in Automotive Engineering.
Depending on the field of engineering a separate physics degree can be very helpful.

/chemical engineer in the oil and gas industry
Old 08-26-2014, 06:20 AM   #6
slakjak1215

The school i'm at doesn't offer Engineering :( only Physics Concentration Engineering which is nothing lol
Old 08-26-2014, 10:54 AM   #7
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS
I would go as far as an associates with that and then transfer to a college or university that has a wider variety of engineering degrees to choose from

<--Bachelor's in Civil Engineering, Registered PE in Texas

My VIN = 2G1FK1EJ9A9105017
Build Date: 04-23-2009 according to:
http://www.compnine.com/vid.php
CamaroSkooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 03:18 PM   #8
HadA68

Drives: 2012 SS 45th Anniversary LS3
I am definitely no F1 suspension expert (and an electrical engineer to boot) but I think the joint is technically a universal joint. The yoke is just one component of the joint. I doubt if F1 cars use constant velocity joints due to the HP involved. Someone please correct if I am mistaken here.
HadA68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 08:01 AM   #9
slakjak1215

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSkooter View Post
I would go as far as an associates with that and then transfer to a college or university that has a wider variety of engineering degrees to choose from

I only have 6 classes left to get my BS and I went there because I was offered a pretty good scholarship for athletics. Figured it couldn't hurt to get my BS in Physics then get some sort of Engineering degree after.
Old 09-01-2014, 02:04 AM   #10
aurora

Drives: 2015 Black ZL1; 2012 Pathfinder
I would like to encourage the OP to pursue any other degree, for as a geologist, I can say that engineers are incredibly nerdy and almost impossible to tolerate.

But seriously, most engineers I know do different work than the work they specialized in at school. It seems many engineering fields are interchangeable….like mechanical engineering, reservoir engineering, chemical engineering....even civil engineering to some degree.

So bottom line is….just be charming and get your foot in the door once you graduate. However, I digress...because engineers are hardly ever charming...
aurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 08:39 AM   #11
G-Oil Guy
Where am I?

Drives: Zoe the ZL1, 2012 Frontier
Quote:
Originally Posted by aurora View Post
I would like to encourage the OP to pursue any other degree, for as a geologist, I can say that engineers are incredibly nerdy and almost impossible to tolerate.

But seriously, most engineers I know do different work than the work they specialized in at school. It seems many engineering fields are interchangeable….like mechanical engineering, reservoir engineering, chemical engineering....even civil engineering to some degree.

So bottom line is….just be charming and get your foot in the door once you graduate. However, I digress...because engineers are hardly ever charming...
Mechanical engineering spawned Chemical engineering which in turn spawned Resevoir and Petroleum engineering so those four (and to an extent biological engineering) are going to have a lot of overlap.

However, there is no overlap between those 4 and the rest of the engineering world.

Also, keep proliferating the engineering stereotypes.
Old 09-01-2014, 09:01 AM   #12
its a syn
B.O.D. 02/16/10

Drives: 2010 SGM Sp. Edition 2017 RS Conver
Locomotive engineer, went to choo choo U lol!!!
Old 09-01-2014, 09:11 AM   #13
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Oil Guy View Post
Depending on the field of engineering a separate physics degree can be very helpful.

/chemical engineer in the oil and gas industry
Quote:
Originally Posted by slakjak1215 View Post
The school i'm at doesn't offer Engineering :( only Physics Concentration Engineering which is nothing lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSkooter View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by slakjak1215 View Post
I only have 6 classes left to get my BS and I went there because I was offered a pretty good scholarship for athletics. Figured it couldn't hurt to get my BS in Physics then get some sort of Engineering degree after.
Quote:

Ok, makes perfect sense now. If you truly are interested in engineering, and what field is an entirely different discussion, go get an Engineering degree when you are done. And don't wait. Go as soon as you can. Waiting will make it harder to go back.

I saw something somewhere:

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in the mud. After an hour or two you realize the pig likes it.

Go get 'em OP.
Old 09-01-2014, 09:17 AM   #14
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:

Try working for a company specializing in custom technical equipment. All the sales and upper management are engineers and quite charming. I left design for applications engineering 20 years ago because interfacing with customers and vendors is where the $$$$ are. I never was the pocket protector type so it was an easy transition.

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote