Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 10-12-2010, 06:07 PM   #1
WhiteCrane

Drives: 2010 Mustang GT
Send a message via AIM to WhiteCrane Send a message via Skype™ to WhiteCrane
This paint is driving me INSANE!

OK, for starts let me say I do not have the patients or money to blow doing a full out detail of my car. (soap gun, claying, detail spray, $20 towels) Swirl marks do NOT bother me. What upsets me is filth and road grit flying onto my car.

My friend and I both have brand new black cars. He recommends I use Liquid Glass. We both put it on our cars the same day, the same application methods used. We did this together.

It rains. Within 2 weeks my car is showing white lime deposits, and water spots. It looks absolutely filthy, and to your touch the car feels rough.

HIS CAR... is silky smooth to the touch, and has a mirror finish!!! Neither car has ever been clayed or polished!

We used the same products, the same applicators, soaps (he used more dish soap than I did), applied the same day!!! My car looks absolutely disgusting! His looks absolutely beautiful. We both applied 2 coats.

What happened to my wax finish? It looked good for about a day.

I am considering washing with Dawn or Dish soap to strip all of the older waxes I've ever applied and starting over from scratch. Any thoughts? This car has been waxed so many times and always looks worse when I'm done.
WhiteCrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 06:14 PM   #2
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
I hate to say it, but you need to strip it with dawn then clay bar it. If that doesn't work then it's adam's time with the porter cable.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 06:18 PM   #3
garcmol

Drives: 10 1LT SIM; 91 B4C sleeper Z
Not a bad idea to strip all of the wax off and start over. Are you parking next to a sprinkler head at work or something? That's what the white spots sound like. Or, are you just hosing the car off and letting it dry? All could cause those spots.

Now, before you write off the clay bar, you might want to consider taking the time to do this step. Especially to get the grime that's in the finish. It will also help remove those lime spots that will drive you crazy.

You should NOT being using dishsoap for every wash though. Dries out all your rubber/vinyl pieces on the car.

Wish you the best!
Old 10-12-2010, 06:24 PM   #4
Baldman
EMERALD COAST CAMAROS

Drives: None
Question? Do you and your friend work at the same workplace. Maybe you have a enviroment that is is different from your friend. If your car stays out in a bad enviroment while you are at work that may cause what is happening to your car IMO.
Old 10-12-2010, 06:48 PM   #5
WhiteCrane

Me and my friend work at the same place! The car has been rained on but no sprinkler heads.

When I use Dish soap, how much do I use? And also, should I mix it with car shampoo?

Will one wash be enough? Do I have to SCRUB? or just run the sponge over the paint?
Old 10-12-2010, 06:55 PM   #6
motorhead

Don't mix it , don't scrub, just wash it as you would with the car soap. I use a lot because I want a lot of foam just as you would anytime you wash your car.
Old 10-12-2010, 07:03 PM   #7
WhiteCrane

Done. I'll buy Mother's clay and spray tonight.
Old 10-12-2010, 07:07 PM   #8
motorhead

Good luck! I don't know how big mothers clay bar is ,but what I like to do is cut it in two. That way if you drop it you don't have to throw out the entire thing.
I learned that from the junkman.
Check out some of his videos on youtube. He is the god of detailing.
Old 10-12-2010, 07:19 PM   #9
garcmol

With Dawn, I'd say an ounce for a five gallon bucket. About a good 1 second squeeze of the bottle.

You'll get that glassy smooth feeling after you wash and clay the car!
Old 10-12-2010, 07:23 PM   #10
lets_go_bills

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT/RS CGM M6
Unfortunately you purchased a black car. They are the hardest to keep clean. But when they are clean, they look the best. It's an even trade-off. But if you're not willing/able to spend on a full high-end detail kit, your paint is always gonna suffer.

My advice? Save up and purcahse the Zaino ultimate protection show car kit. Your paint will look remarkably gorgeous.
lets_go_bills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 07:25 PM   #11
CaniacFan

Drives: '10 SS CGM #75,288, '14 Stingray
I agree a heavy Dawn strip down for all contaminants followed by a thorough claybar treatment. Use an empty sandwich plastic bag - place your hand in the plastic bag and rub it over your paint - should be smooth as a babies ass after claybar, if not, repeat....
CaniacFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 07:27 PM   #12
motorhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaniacFan View Post
I agree a heavy Dawn strip down for all contaminants followed by a thorough claybar treatment. Use an empty sandwich plastic bag - place your hand in the plastic bag and rub it over your paint - should be smooth as a babies ass after claybar, if not, repeat....
Auh, another one of Junkman's students. Very good grasshopper. Nice post.
Old 10-12-2010, 07:27 PM   #13
garcmol

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaniacFan View Post
No doubt I forgot that step!

She said ass, lol
Old 10-12-2010, 11:10 PM   #14
WhiteCrane

Should I throw on a hand polish after claying? The swirl marks don't bother me, I'm just wondering if that will have any effect as per keeping the car clean or avoiding the constant white lime marks I get 2-4 days after washing/waxing.

I'm so tired of washing this thing constantly, I just want it to look clean. I don't even ask for it to shine at this point. I've given up on that.