Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 03-23-2012, 10:25 AM   #1
BaldCamaroStud
Camaro Owner & Enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS
Connecting LED Edgelit Sign To Battery

I have this LED edgelit sign that I want to use for car shows and stuff. It can run on a DC adapter or cigarette lighter. Neither of these options is practical for said purpose.

I am thinking about taking the cigarette lighter cord, cutting off the cigarette lighter end and attaching it somehow to the positive battery terminal in the front. However, in that setup, I would be left with wire hanging around under the hood.

I know I need some type of plug so I don't have as much wire in there, and for something I can unplug from besides the base of the sign which contains the LED lights. What's the best way to do this?
BaldCamaroStud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 10:02 PM   #2
With envy
It's a Synergy thing..

Drives: 2010 Synergy
Cutting off the lighter plug would not be a good idea, as it has a fuse built into it. The outlet has a fuse too. When I wired in my E.L. wire project and remote receiver unit, I tapped into the positive terminal on the front of the fuse box under the hood. (Not the big red capped terminal for jump starting.) I'm thinking you could probably get everything you need at any auto parts store. The first thing you would need is an inline fuse holder. Never wire anything in without a fuse. You could then run some wire down to somewhere accessible on the underside of the car. There you could mount a weather proof plug made for trailer lights. Wire a matching male plug to your sign, and you can plug it in whenever you need it, and you won't have wires running everywhere.
Just remember to unplug it before you drive away!

With envy is offline   Reply With Quote