Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 05-20-2010, 02:47 PM   #29
CGM2SSRS
susp.ban4life!

Drives: Raptor
I experienced the same deal long ago with home surround sound. Muffled loss of clarity all from that center channel. No matter how good that speaker is or how high you bump the high end it cant clear out. I cant believe I didn't already do this in the camaro. Thanks for lighting a fire under me! Good call!!
CGM2SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 02:54 PM   #30
Wood

Drives: 2SS/RS
I'm glad somebody finally did this. I can't hear any other speakers unless I fade it way to the back, even then the center channel still makes the system sound like crap. I will be disconnecting the speaker ASAP.
Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 03:06 PM   #31
Dakota Kid

Drives: 2010 2SS/RJT/L99
I will be doing this on Saturday after I wash her.
Old 05-20-2010, 05:47 PM   #32
CGM2SSRS
susp.ban4life!

OK I have an update. After reading this I went out and did it both ways. At the amp and at the speaker. Now if you can work with the plug on the amp snug up to the rear fender that would be the easiest. I contend pulling the plug on the speaker is far easier. Even with the custom dash mat I have velcro'd down. Now for the results. This is the weird thing. Some songs on my mp3 were more muffled with the speaker pulled. This seemed to be the case more then not with the mp3. With xm,it sounded better 90% of the time unplugged. Considering I listen to the mp3 more often I opted to leave it plugged.
*********I suggest DOING THIS AT THE SPEAKER FIRST. Why cut a wire before you know what YOUR ear prefers?
Old 05-20-2010, 09:02 PM   #33
Dakota Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGM2SSRS View Post
OK I have an update. After reading this I went out and did it both ways. At the amp and at the speaker. Now if you can work with the plug on the amp snug up to the rear fender that would be the easiest. I contend pulling the plug on the speaker is far easier. Even with the custom dash mat I have velcro'd down. Now for the results. This is the weird thing. Some songs on my mp3 were more muffled with the speaker pulled. This seemed to be the case more then not with the mp3. With xm,it sounded better 90% of the time unplugged. Considering I listen to the mp3 more often I opted to leave it plugged.
*********I suggest DOING THIS AT THE SPEAKER FIRST. Why cut a wire before you know what YOUR ear prefers?

Very interesting indeed. Great post!
Old 05-21-2010, 08:36 AM   #34
recontango

Drives: 2018 ZR1
I did the speaker unplug this morning before i left for work, literally took 3 minutes. I agree, do this at the speaker, soooo simple. I am not exactly sure i notice a huge difference like some are stating, but the stereo effect is much better. I am curious for the guys that saw such a dramatic difference, what are your EQs set to? Mine are treble: 9, mid:7, bass: 11

Past: 2017 Challenger T/A 392, 2015 Challenger SRT 392, 2010 Camaro Synergy Green
recontango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 09:28 AM   #35
SS Drifter

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS L99
IAS - thanks for the black box info.

I think the center speaker will work great for my 9500ci. At least thats my plan for it.
SS Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 10:20 AM   #36
Racer-X
Rhymin and Stealin

Drives: The Search is on ABM V6.....
Send a message via MSN to Racer-X
SS Drift... it should work perfectly.

I Make Cars Sound Good.

Enchantment Editions
Arc Audio Competition Team
Image Dynamics Elite Sound Performance Team
Team Stinger
Racer-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 10:24 AM   #37
Racer-X
Rhymin and Stealin

Drives: The Search is on ABM V6.....
Send a message via MSN to Racer-X
Quote:
Originally Posted by recontango View Post
I am curious for the guys that saw such a dramatic difference, what are your EQs set to? Mine are treble: 9, mid:7, bass: 11

9,7,11???? WOW and you guys wonder why you speakers distort out so quickly. try bringing eveything down equally, to where nothing is abvoe zero. try -2, -4, 0 you will not be boosting the signal so badly and will be easier on the speakers.

I Make Cars Sound Good.

Enchantment Editions
Arc Audio Competition Team
Image Dynamics Elite Sound Performance Team
Team Stinger
Racer-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 10:58 AM   #38
Dakota Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by recontango View Post
I did the speaker unplug this morning before i left for work, literally took 3 minutes. I agree, do this at the speaker, soooo simple. I am not exactly sure i notice a huge difference like some are stating, but the stereo effect is much better. I am curious for the guys that saw such a dramatic difference, what are your EQs set to? Mine are treble: 9, mid:7, bass: 11
Pretty much the same settings I have mine at.
Old 05-21-2010, 12:28 PM   #39
CGM2SSRS
susp.ban4life!

I know if you have your bass set over 5 and run the volume over half way your likely clipping. I''ve got my treb's maxed,mostly because I lost most of my high end hearing from the military. My volume is never under half max. So I keep the bass at 4 if it's not distorting. Mid will be between 3 and 5 depending again on distortion. I ride that fine line of clarity/clipping. Running around zero and negative is so flat you may as well throw a cerwin vega spaker and a marshall amp. There isn't any fidelity in those settings.
Old 05-21-2010, 12:51 PM   #40
recontango

Drives: 2018 ZR1
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGM2SSRS View Post
I know if you have your bass set over 5 and run the volume over half way your likely clipping. I''ve got my treb's maxed,mostly because I lost most of my high end hearing from the military. My volume is never under half max. So I keep the bass at 4 if it's not distorting. Mid will be between 3 and 5 depending again on distortion. I ride that fine line of clarity/clipping. Running around zero and negative is so flat you may as well throw a cerwin vega spaker and a marshall amp. There isn't any fidelity in those settings.

Thanks, I'll give it a try

Past: 2017 Challenger T/A 392, 2015 Challenger SRT 392, 2010 Camaro Synergy Green
recontango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 03:11 PM   #41
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAS View Post
9,7,11???? WOW and you guys wonder why you speakers distort out so quickly. try bringing eveything down equally, to where nothing is abvoe zero. try -2, -4, 0 you will not be boosting the signal so badly and will be easier on the speakers.
Interesting. I need to do that then. I usually keep mine at treble 9, bass 4-5, mid 6. So I'll go treble 0, bass -4, mid -3.

Edit: So I just went and undid the wire at the speaker. First of all let me say I've never really been that unhappy with that BA system. I am a musician and I could hear the faults in the system, it's just that I thought it was pretty good compared to the crappy systems I'd had before. So my testing protocol went like this. 1) Listen to two songs with the stock configuration. 2) Unplug the wire 3) Listen to the same two songs with the center unplugged.

My results: Definitely not night and day quality-wise. Slight improvement, certainly no worse. One thing is that you do get that true sense of stereo. As a musician, I can say that there is a reason we record one guitar track on the right channel and another on the left. You don't want it to blend together when you worked hard to get them separate. Some of the tracks I recorded never sound right on "surround systems" and never worked well in the Camaro.

So here's my verdict: Do it.

You don't lose anything by doing it and you do gain that sense of stereo. Is it going to knock your socks off in a "night and day" fashion? Nope, but it will at least bring the music across the way it was recorded.

Anyway that's my .02, take it or leave it.

Last edited by CamaroDreams07; 05-21-2010 at 04:10 PM. Reason: Just tried it.
CamaroDreams07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 08:25 PM   #42
Alfieboy
Madman

Drives: 2017 1SS
nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
Interesting. I need to do that then. I usually keep mine at treble 9, bass 4-5, mid 6. So I'll go treble 0, bass -4, mid -3.

Edit: So I just went and undid the wire at the speaker. First of all let me say I've never really been that unhappy with that BA system. I am a musician and I could hear the faults in the system, it's just that I thought it was pretty good compared to the crappy systems I'd had before. So my testing protocol went like this. 1) Listen to two songs with the stock configuration. 2) Unplug the wire 3) Listen to the same two songs with the center unplugged.

My results: Definitely not night and day quality-wise. Slight improvement, certainly no worse. One thing is that you do get that true sense of stereo. As a musician, I can say that there is a reason we record one guitar track on the right channel and another on the left. You don't want it to blend together when you worked hard to get them separate. Some of the tracks I recorded never sound right on "surround systems" and never worked well in the Camaro.

So here's my verdict: Do it.

You don't lose anything by doing it and you do gain that sense of stereo. Is it going to knock your socks off in a "night and day" fashion? Nope, but it will at least bring the music across the way it was recorded.

Anyway that's my .02, take it or leave it.
Nice call..appreciate it..
Alfieboy is offline   Reply With Quote