Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 06-05-2012, 09:24 PM   #197
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by D666MAN View Post
6L90 is basically a heavy duty 6L80. It shares 75% of the same parts. My point was since this is a software issue, maybe this new program will help make the AFM more tolerable.
Fair enough.. but the program would be in the TCM... AFM software is contained in the PCM... more engine related than transmission related.

Now if we are talking the tap shift delay then maybe you're on to something...
Old 03-03-2013, 02:45 AM   #198
Mattsmaro

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro SS/RS L99
To me, GM is holding back from admitting they goofed up. They could make a simple flash of the plug-in computer and have it as AFM in just D. That's the solution. Simple. Easy. If they would just get on it and branch it out to their dealerships.
Mattsmaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:39 PM   #199
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattsmaro View Post
To me, GM is holding back from admitting they goofed up. They could make a simple flash of the plug-in computer and have it as AFM in just D. That's the solution. Simple. Easy. If they would just get on it and branch it out to their dealerships.
You're right... a simple fix. AFM in "D" mode only would be great, but that would be a miraculous accomplishment to get GM to offer to flash many thousands of L99s. I think I'll write a letter and see what kind of response I get. (Not holding my breath though).
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 02:53 PM   #200
ghostrider2

Drives: 2014 Bright Yellow ZL1 Vert/M6
I agree with you Palmer! What can we do to force their hand?! We personally are looking at buying a new truck in the next year and we have decide even tho we have been a Chevy only family for 20 years, we will not continue to support a company that refuse to take care of its customers, they are forcing our hand to purchase something other than Chevy and I will also look to get ride of my beloved SS. We are very loyal but not to the point we will let you "GM!" just run all over us!
ghostrider2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 09:15 AM   #201
schockwave

Drives: 2010 camaro 1SS/RS
It's been four years on my 2010, bought it a year late, I'm getting it turned off for $300.00. Going into the computer, take it out, V8 all the time......
schockwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 10:56 AM   #202
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by schockwave View Post
It's been four years on my 2010, bought it a year late, I'm getting it turned off for $300.00. Going into the computer, take it out, V8 all the time......

Shouldn't cost more than 50 bucks for that or get the Range device
Old 09-17-2014, 03:39 AM   #203
schockwave

Well, after thinking about things a couple more days.... I did go ahead and order the range device just yesterday. We will see how this device works and go from there. Thank you for the input.
Old 09-17-2014, 11:30 AM   #204
qcman

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RDP Tuned L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by schockwave View Post
Well, after thinking about things a couple more days.... I did go ahead and order the range device just yesterday. We will see how this device works and go from there. Thank you for the input.
it works great! Changes the cars personality a lot in a good way. Smooth....
qcman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 10:22 PM   #205
CamaroJim56
Obsessed

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS RS
You can remove it to improve your mileage on long highway trips also if you choose. (The Range device)

Some say that their mileage doesn't suffer from it, but my "testing" a couple of weeks ago showed a 3mpg decrease on a long highway trip I took when using it.

So I will use it all the time unless I want better mileage on a long trip.

2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
CamaroJim56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 09:29 PM   #206
schockwave

Little gizmo does exactly what it said it would do on the initial testing. Looking forward to seeing how it works long term. Really does make the car work I believe like it should!! Amen...
Old 09-22-2014, 05:01 AM   #207
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroJim56 View Post
You can remove it to improve your mileage on long highway trips also if you choose. (The Range device)

Some say that their mileage doesn't suffer from it, but my "testing" a couple of weeks ago showed a 3mpg decrease on a long highway trip I took when using it.

So I will use it all the time unless I want better mileage on a long trip.
^^^ Exactly
It absolutely affects gas mileage... The sole reason DOD is in the L99 is to save gas and avoid the GG tax. Those that claim it doesn't affect most likely got a tune at the same time they turned off DOD like I did.
Old 09-02-2021, 11:18 AM   #208
'74CamaroZ28

Drives: 2011 2SS CAMARO RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
Just get a handheld SCT tuner from Jannetty Racing and turn off AFM yourself. (It's a very simple process) That way you can just turn it back on when you go in for warranty work. It still "could" void your warranty, but I seriously doubt anyone will call you out on it.
Has anyone else confirmed if:

1) going the SCT tuner route and tuning the AFM off will void any warranties when returning back to stock tune? How can they find out? Is there a lognin the ECM?
2) or fail SMOG check in States that have unnecessary stringent SMOG laws, when returning back to stock tune. How can they find out if going back to stock tune.
3) is there a plug in AFM deactivation device that plugs in the OBD II for our cars? I have heard that they have these devices for the 5.3 L SUVs and trucks. You just unplug them when you want to go back to stock.
'74CamaroZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 11:36 AM   #209
SSammy

Drives: 2015 2SS A6 Commemorative Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by '74CamaroZ28 View Post
Has anyone else confirmed if:

1) going the SCT tuner route and tuning the AFM off will void any warranties when returning back to stock tune? How can they find out? Is there a lognin the ECM?
2) or fail SMOG check in States that have unnecessary stringent SMOG laws, when returning back to stock tune. How can they find out if going back to stock tune.
3) is there a plug in AFM deactivation device that plugs in the OBD II for our cars? I have heard that they have these devices for the 5.3 L SUVs and trucks. You just unplug them when you want to go back to stock.
If you are wanting to turn AFM off, without showing record of a flash to your ECM, a Range Technology AFM disabler chip, part #'s RA003B (blue light), RA003R (red light), RA003G (green light) will do the trick. It just plugs into the OBDII. I used one for 15 months before I got my tune. Just make sure you remove it before emissions testing to give the readiness monitors time to reset.
SSammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 01:09 PM   #210
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSammy View Post
If you are wanting to turn AFM off, without showing record of a flash to your ECM, a Range Technology AFM disabler chip, part #'s RA003B (blue light), RA003R (red light), RA003G (green light) will do the trick. It just plugs into the OBDII. I used one for 15 months before I got my tune. Just make sure you remove it before emissions testing to give the readiness monitors time to reset.
Good info SSammy!! This, no harm, no foul.. lol.