Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 07-19-2012, 05:46 PM   #141
Maxcam

Drives: RY/2LT/RS 'Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by classicrockr View Post
Going on a month now with my new top- no rub marks yet!
Got a new top put on May 5, yesterday (July 18) noticed a rub mark in a place I didn't before and signs of fraying already. Keep a good eye on your new top.
Old 07-19-2012, 05:51 PM   #142
themoneypit

Drives: 2012 45th convertible ss ls3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacecarguy View Post
Well, bad news update. Just talked to the dealer, and yes, after taking my top off, and opening the box they realized that the new top IS the new design top. Right now, they don't have a clue on how to install it since they say it is "so different" and they believe other parts are needed. There was also an apparent design change to the 5th bow so they had to get that ordered overnight. They can't commit to when my car will be ready, and they are going to call Chevrolet Tech center to see how they can help. Has anyone had the new design top installed yet, or has anyone seen any documentation / TSB's, etc. on what all is involved / instructions on what is needed to install the new design top? He told me the same thing "He would much rather replace the whole mechanism."

For any GM folks out there, you need to get this act together. Frustrated ...
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=236480 heres all ive been able to find out so far regarding the newest top design. so its just the top in the box, no other parts?? i was afraid of that :(
Old 07-19-2012, 06:30 PM   #143
pacecarguy

Drives: 2010 Indy 500 Pace Car
Yes. They ordered the standard part number called out in the tsb to replace the top if needed and they received a box with a top in it - the new design. They said it just started shipping in the last week or so. No instructions, or anything else. They did have to order a new design 5th bow and just today the GM tech support center told them where to find about a 25 page document on how to install. Looking at hopefully getting it back on Monday evening now.
pacecarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 07:44 PM   #144
Oby1
The Force

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2LT RS
I had the recall work done and still have a lot of road noise and a dip on the drivers side. Drove to West Palm Beach and could hardly hear the person next to me talk without raising our voices. Let's see what's next.
Oby1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 02:05 PM   #145
pacecarguy

Just got a call my new design top install is complete and I can pick up car this evening. But... They mentioned some alignment pin/dowel or something that was apparently never installed at the factory on the header and they have to order and I will need to bring back for a quick install. Fingers crossed.
Old 07-20-2012, 02:29 PM   #146
Fnfalguy
Supreme Advisor

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS Convertible
I'm on day 7 regarding the dealer initiating a new roof replacment and they are missing a part that will take a few days to get in.
Fnfalguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 02:42 PM   #147
pacecarguy

Well, just got a call that they would be "pushing" to get it done today and want it to be right, so back on for Monday pickup.
Old 07-22-2012, 07:19 AM   #148
s58042095
steve

Drives: 2011 camaro conv
Send a message via Yahoo to s58042095
my vert. is the 2011 and i had the recall done to my vert in may and my top have not been right ever since i so pissed off i called jim few times i ready to give my car back i had this problem since may when they did the recall
s58042095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 11:02 PM   #149
pacecarguy

ok folks. picked up my Pace car today with the 2nd gen top installed - dealer had it for a week - Monday to Monday. Overall, much nicer fit and look I think, especially at the rear.

Here is a link to my personal Smugmug site where I have posted detailed photos.

http://pacecarguy.smugmug.com/Cars/Camaro-2nd-Gen-Convertible-top/24348314_Ms3Fxq#!i=1983875430&k=g6RWXSV

But, I have to say several things....

1. I never noticed on my old top, but there is now a silver metal wire above each rear side window that is visible, was that on the old top also, or you 2nd gen top guys, do you see that on your new top also? My concern is that it is close to the window weatherstrip and may eventually tear it?
  2. There is a slight waviness visible on the drivers side, but only if the light is hitting it in the right way.
  3. To me, it seems like with the top down now, there is nothing visible now that will flap in the wind if you drive with the hard tonneau cover off. I have not had a chance to take it on the road at speed yet, anyone else have any experience with this aspect?
  4. From the little driving I have done don't notice any wind noise to complain about. Also have not done any leak tests...
  5. I'm curious if anyone has this issue - may want to take a look. As you can see on several of the photos with arrows, on the front passenger side I am pointing to a silver guide pin that aligns the top onto the top frame when it closes. It was pointed out to me that my driver side guide was never installed at the factory? They have ordered me that part.
  6. I do see one area over the 2nd bow (barely visible by orange arrow) where it appears there is a cable routed between the bow and canvas as noted in another post, but it's very hard to see on mine and I don't think (aka hope it won't) it will cause any issues.
On another note, I have included several photos of my trunk lid seal/wire harness rub issue. There is a bulletin out there that has a fix of a certain slippery black tape that they are going to use to wrap the harness when they put the new seal on... pretty high tech... they have to order that special part.... lol.

Well, let me know if you have any questions. I don't have the paperwork in hand yet with any part numbers, etc. I was told they ordered the original part number in their system, and this new design showed up.

PS, they were also a little po'ed because the service book has GM paying them about $450 to do the replacement.... the specialty top supplier they use charged them $1200 due to he excess labor hours...plus the 7 days of a nice little Chevy Aveo rental car. oh well.
Old 07-26-2012, 06:24 PM   #150
Fnfalguy
Supreme Advisor

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS Convertible
I got my car back today after being in the shop for 2 weeks to get a new roof installed. The new roof looks really nice so now I need to water test it and pay close attention to how much road noise there is.
Fnfalguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 09:08 PM   #151
bombgolf

Drives: 45th Anniv 2SS/RS Convertible
I know I am a late arrival to this conversation but have any of you had to have the TSB done again, like the tape fell off or the caulk didn't stick or ?? I know we could all put tape on a bracket or put caulk on a seam but am curious what the dealer might have said in response...
bombgolf is offline   Reply With Quote