Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-28-2013, 07:49 AM   #29
Supercamaro64
Right, right.

Drives: 79 Z28, 86 Camaro, 94 Burb 4x4
I concur. I love driving at night/early morning!
Supercamaro64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:22 AM   #30
strych9
I'll be back...

Drives: Subaru, HD Road Glide Special
Romanticizing the drive...very cool. Reminds me of Rush:

"I fire up the willing engine,
Responding with a roar.
Tires spitting gravel,
I commit my weekly crime...

Wind-
In my hair-
Shifting and drifting-
Mechanical music-
Adrenalin surge... "
Old 08-28-2013, 09:05 AM   #31
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
....drivin' all night my hands wet on the wheel...

Coolest time, unfortunately around here there's too may deer, drunks, and cops.

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:57 AM   #32
colemanvoice
team chicklet camaro

Drives: MOTL3Y
Quote:
Originally Posted by tramtwo View Post
I don't know about writing, but you definitely deserve your own show!
YouTube channel, or show?
Old 08-28-2013, 10:22 AM   #33
MMC

Drives: CGM 2SS/RS, 1987 & 2014 Silverado
I love getting the SS out early on Sundays and go for a drive when all I see out are car enthusiasts.
I would like to get on the pre-order list for the book, somehow you manage to put into words the way some of us feel.
Old 08-28-2013, 01:03 PM   #34
fbodfather

Drives: Camaros................
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdam1228 View Post
Great story. I'd definitely read your book....

Unrelated question, what GM cars are actually still made in Detroit, if any? Are all Camaros made in Oshawa? I was curious about what part Detroit has in the manufacturing process the other day, and couldn't find a whole lot of information.
Our Detroit-Hamtramck Plant builds the Volt, the Malibu, the Impala and soon the Cadillac ELR. (prior to this, it built DTS/Lucerne)

We also build our mid-sized SUVs at Lansing Delta Township - and the ATS/CTS at Lansing Grand River. Sonics and the Buick Verano are built at Orion Township. Chevy/GMC HD trucks built in Flint.

Ford Rouge builds trucks - Ford Wayne builds one of their passenger cars. The Flatrock Plant builds Mustangs.
(...rumor has it that there is always a line-up of Camaros seemingly thinking that this particular plant is a 'buffet'...)

(sorry -couldn't help myself)

Jefferson North builds Grand Cherokees and Durangos. Sterling Heights builds Chrysler 200 and Dodge Avenger. Warren builds Dodge Trucks.

I'm sure I'm forgetting one or two others........

The count is way down from the 50s -- when even Desoto had its own plant.....

And about Camaros? Yes - all Camaros for worldwide markets are built at Oshawa Flex. There are two lines at Oshawa - the "consolidated" line that builds the Impala "classic" for fleet - and Equini (that's plural for Equinox.... )

The Flex line builds Camaro, Regal, Cadillac XTS, and new Impala.

(...and they do a great job!)
Old 08-28-2013, 04:27 PM   #35
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
I drove convertibles for twenty years and people would make comments like: you must be a sun worshiper.

The absolute best time to drive a convertible with the top down is 2 am on a warm summer night, radio off.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:23 PM   #36
Red Jewel RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Thanks Scott for the great story! Please write your book someday, we would all love to have a copy.
My wife and I stopped by our Dealership this past weekend and took a look at the 14's Camaro's on the lot, we both really love the "refresh". Great job!

As you can seen from my avatar , my wife has a mustang and I read to her your mustang comments, we both had a good laugh!
Keep up the good work and thanks for taking the time to travel to our gatherings!
Red Jewel RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:11 PM   #37
jksynergy

Drives: 11 SW SYNERGY SERIES/14 1SS 1LE
Fantastic story. Thanks for sharing with us. I travel quite a bit for work and usually when I'm returning home after being gone for a few weeks, I leave before sun up. Makes the day start so much better and you get to see all the wonders that seem hidden during normal drive times. I may have to try some of those 5-70mph sprints this time. Though I don't have the Camaro with me, the company car has enough umphh to get me there quick.

2014 1SS 1LE. Bama, sporting Red Rock Metallic demon's horns, when we are ready to get naughty and open a can of whoopass! Airaid, Spectre, Xpel,Bowler shifter Peddars, UMI, Ult Perf. Diode Dynamics, JRE Tune, XS Power battery,
Hooker Headers Blackheart exhaust,Powerbrake
InstaGram & Twitter: @jlouie62
FB: hangtimeracing
jksynergy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 03:32 AM   #38
Thrillz

Drives: 2019 Dodge Daytona R/T
Great read. Thanks for sharing.
Old 08-29-2013, 06:23 AM   #39
EastWood-SS
Born To Run

Drives: 2013 BRM SS/RS LS3

"Waste your summer praying in vain
For a saviour to rise from these streets
Well now I'm no hero
That's understood
All the redemption I can offer girl
Is beneath this dirty hood
With a chance to make it good somehow
Hey what else can we do now ?

Except roll down the window
And let the wind blow Back your hair
Well the night's busting open
These two lanes will take us anywhere
We got one last chance to make it real
To trade in these wings on some wheels
Climb in back
Heaven's waiting on down the tracks " - Springsteen

2013 Blue Ray Metallic 1SS/RS
Dual Mode Exhaust + Fuse Pull / CAI inc. CAI/ 1LE Strut Tower Brace/ ACS T4 Splitter/ SunRoof/ BA Audio/ Performance Shifter/ White Rally Stripes

EastWood-SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 07:51 AM   #40
Optimus Prime

Drives: 2014 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS/RS 1LE
What a great article Scott! I was just thinking a couple days ago about how much I hate traffic here in Tampa, and I said to myself, when I get my 1LE, I'm gonna get up early, before sun-up, and just take a relaxed drive wherever the wheels take me. I already get up at 4:45 am for work, so it'll be easy. And when there's no other traffic around, I'm sure that dual-mode exhaust will sound glorious!!

Please write a book, Scott. As strong as your passion for Camaro is, when you write, it never sounds "nerdy" or over the top. Your writing says just what we all feel and think about these cars and the greatness of a good drive, that paints a picture that's still very down to earth. I hope to meet you some day. I'm hoping to go to the next Camaro5 fest in Texas, so maybe then.

Always keeping the faith...

Former garage: 2010 IBM Camaro 2SS/RS 6M
2011 Avalanche LT
Optimus Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 08:02 AM   #41
djcfuzz
Do somethin fun every day

Drives: 2012 45th V6 RS M6
Great story Scott and I concur with the others, write your book already and put me on the list when it is published.

Yesterday, I woke up at 4 AM and drove from my house, which is between Philly & Allentown, to south central Virginia, Danville to be exact, in my 2007 Tahoe to pick up my son. Driving in the wee hours of the AM is the best. That path took me down along the Shenandoahs (I-81, I-64, 29). It was rainy and cloudy but I have taken that drive before and it is beautiful. The Blue Ridge parkway is there, just a great place for a drive. I encourage everyone who can to drive in that area. Then I got my son, and we came back. My back muscles are sore from 900 miles & 15 hours of driving but I do enjoy driving. Therapy as it were.

On another note, my son got his drivers license last year and I said, "Let's go for a ride" he followed my Camaro in his vehicle and we just "took a drive". We drove for almost an hour, through the country, over a lake with hair pin turns, on a beautiful day last Fall. I was smiling the whole time. When I came back I said, "Wow, I haven't just taken a drive with no where to go in a long time and just 'cruised'. That was so relaxing and made me feel like a teenager again." Needless to say, I have taken that same ride at least two more times since then and take opportunities when I can to 'just go for a ride' in my Camaro.

Thanks for sharing your story and inspiring me to share two of mine.

Last edited by djcfuzz; 08-29-2013 at 08:15 AM.
djcfuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 07:22 PM   #42
Scalded Dog

Drives: 2011 1LT
Almost two years ago, I got my Camaro. Now, I'm a working schlub, cubicle hell, Monday through Friday... hey, hell I pay the price.

However, my morning commute begins in the dark... and the first 14 miles are winding mountain highway.

For nearly two years now, my mornings go like this:

1. Alarm clock hollers
2. Alarm clock silenced
3. Remember, "Oh dang... gotta go to work."
4. THEN remember, "Wait... I get to drive the Camaro to work, through 14 miles of twisties, at MY speed..."

And from then on, it's all good...
Scalded Dog is offline   Reply With Quote