Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Motorsports Discussions

Closed Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 01:57 PM   #29
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroScotty View Post
Here's your answer:

Here is a quote from the head of GM Racing, Mark Kent -

"We've looked at racing the Camaro, and one thing we do not want to do is to force the car where it shouldn't be," Kent said. "We looked at NASCAR, for example--took a very hard look at running the Camaro in the Nationwide series. That was a request made of us by NASCAR, and we have had a ... See Moretremendous partnership with NASCAR, so we took a very hard look at it.

"At the end of the day, because of the quest for very close competition and the need to have templated bodies in that series, we felt that by forcing the Camaro into the Nationwide templates that we were compromising the body lines of an iconic car. So at the end of the day we just could not get the Camaro in the Nationwide series to satisfy our requirements."

Been saying that since at least July

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSRSLY View Post
I was wondering when someone would get around to mentioning the Koni Challenge cars. Ladies and gents, there IS a stock car racing series much in the same vein as Trans Am and the original NASCAR racing.

There's also the NASA (National Auto Sport Association) events that run a wide range of classes, including the Camaro Mustang Challenge and American Iron. http://www.nasaproracing.com/

It's out there folks, and most are open for spectators
FYI, the Koni Challenge is owned Nascar. I don't know about the NASA series
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
Old 01-21-2010, 02:54 PM   #30
Brokinarrow

Drives: 2012 Honda NC700x
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSRSLY View Post
I was wondering when someone would get around to mentioning the Koni Challenge cars. Ladies and gents, there IS a stock car racing series much in the same vein as Trans Am and the original NASCAR racing.

There's also the NASA (National Auto Sport Association) events that run a wide range of classes, including the Camaro Mustang Challenge and American Iron. http://www.nasaproracing.com/

It's out there folks, and most are open for spectators
Now THAT looks much more interesting than 4 left turns all day (yes, I know there's much more to it than that, I don't care, its only fun to watch when someone wrecks)
Old 01-21-2010, 03:59 PM   #31
1fastdog

Drives: 2002 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapppy666 View Post
true, but manufactures do claim to "learn" things from NASCAR teams.... who knows?
Good experience and engineering info can be had from almost any form of racing.

Some good things have come out of the NASCAR series for Chevy.

Head design and "Beehive" valve springs are two that come to mind.

That being said, NASCAR is interested in furthering NASCAR and little else.

There are other racing series that can pay bigger technological innovations through involvement.

In my personal opinion, NASCAR has lost it's momentum and value for the manufacturers unless NASCAR is willing to allow any real gain for makers from any innovation.

In my heart, I root for the Chevy to win in NASCAR. I don't watch the races anymore. It's become racintainment. Not very good on either the racing or entertainment delivered, unfortunately.

The France family would make it a total " Spec" series if there was anything in it for them.
There isn't any money in it for them though...They could build their own motors, trans, etc. but they won't until they need to. There is no reason for them to go there though. The big manufacturers are a cash cow. Once NASCAR doesn't profit from the major makers? Well... they don't want to go there. It's more profitable to play all the brands against each other in gaining an advantage which NASCAR will outlaw once it's found.

They are satisfied with letting Chevy, Ford, Dodge, and Toyota spend millions and millions to service the NASCAR machine.

The manufacturers should have pulled the plug on this stuff a long time ago.

It's a one sided deal.

Chevrolet proved all they needed or could prove over the years in NASCAR.

IMO, it's time for NASCAR to be concerned about what manufacturers get out of "stock" car racing in the NASCAR present mindset.

I personally see very little return on investment for any car maker to dance to the France family tune.

Last edited by 1fastdog; 01-21-2010 at 04:12 PM.

Closed Thread