Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-18-2019, 12:50 PM   #43
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
it did piss me off back in the day when i would have to compete with professionally restored classics with my classic pontiac which was restored on a shall we say somewhat lower budget.i did manage to take a couple of trophies in the daily driver class which was cool.i saw a few cars trailered in...wheres the fun in that?
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 01:07 PM   #44
Greenhornet2

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS LS3 Whipple
I don't really like car shows myself. I walk around for like an hour and I'm done. I get a hell of a lot more compliments on my car just driving it around. This years I've had about 8 people just randomly come up and talk to me about my car sitting at a gas station or out to eat at an outdoor place. I think it is silly to buy a new car and show up at a car show, people can see that car at a dealership. If you have done a bunch of stuff to it, or it is a rare car, then I can appreciate that no matter what year. I took mine to one this year, the big one in Putnam. If it was stock, I wouldn't have taken it. I really only went because I met up with a couple 1Le guys and we drove in together.
Whipple 2.9 CAI ID1050x injectors ZL1 Pump JRE FPCM JMS Voltage booster JRE Rough Idle blower cam BTR .660 springs CHE trunnion kit 1 7/8 Speed Engineering Borla Atak JRE scoop 1.5" lowering springs BMR trailing arms and toe links Cradle inserts 704WHP 603WTQ 93 octane
Greenhornet2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 01:17 PM   #45
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
We have a couple of shows out my way where the rule is, “1972 or older only.” As discriminating as that might be, it takes the guess work out it I suppose. : /
Old 09-18-2019, 02:24 PM   #46
2013ZL1FUN

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Convertible A6 BRM
Yeah, what is the difference between a classic car that was professionally restored at great expense or a new car? The owner in a lot of instances had nothing to do with it other than writing the check. Cars and coffee seems to be more accepting of what I have these days and maybe that's where I will focus my time.
Old 09-18-2019, 02:56 PM   #47
Memphis SS

Drives: 2017 SS A8 Hyper Blue/White Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013ZL1FUN View Post
Yeah, what is the difference between a classic car that was professionally restored at great expense or a new car? The owner in a lot of instances had nothing to do with it other than writing the check. Cars and coffee seems to be more accepting of what I have these days and maybe that's where I will focus my time.
I agree

I've never had anyone come up and tell me my car shouldn't be in an event or make a rude comment but I try and call the person putting the event on to see what classes will be at the show.

I had mine in a national show at the Corvette Museum a few years back, my signature has a picture of my car in the Museum... Fun event, really good group at the show.
Old 09-18-2019, 02:58 PM   #48
Greenhornet2

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS LS3 Whipple
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013ZL1FUN View Post
I think they see it as just another new car. I think everyone would look at a 2019 focus all stock showing up at a car show pretty funny. a stock SS Camaro can be seen as the same thing. Customized, a ZL1 or special edition has a little more clout. But I can see it both ways. A cool car to some isn't a cool car to others
Whipple 2.9 CAI ID1050x injectors ZL1 Pump JRE FPCM JMS Voltage booster JRE Rough Idle blower cam BTR .660 springs CHE trunnion kit 1 7/8 Speed Engineering Borla Atak JRE scoop 1.5" lowering springs BMR trailing arms and toe links Cradle inserts 704WHP 603WTQ 93 octane
Greenhornet2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 03:17 PM   #49
zlathim

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS M6
Honestly, I would rather look at old cars in a good junkyard than go to the typical car show.
BMR cradle & diff bushings, trailing arms, toe rods & upper control arm bushings
Hotchkis sub-frame brace
Stop Tech Z-23 brakes
4.10 gears, Eaton Truetrac, LPW diff cover
Best 1/4 mile 12.073 @ 115.68 mph 3,300 ft DA
zlathim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 03:28 PM   #50
SquawkVFR
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
In all seriousnessessess, there was a time when the playing field was a great deal more even, no matter what you brung. The classes were pretty strict, like 70’s muscle, 80’s muscle, 2000-2010...you get the picture, and there was pretty much only one trophy per class and one best in show.

(Now, there’s best paint wtf that is, best interior, best exterior, best engine, best carpet, furthest travelled, kids choice, class clown, most adorable, most likely to succeed, etc).

Anyway.

Some of you might remember the car show judging form. And those judges were tight. I’ve seen white gloves before... taking their jobs seriously. You actually had to work for your “Prize” not just show up with a pretty car. I’ve seen (please don’t take this the wrong way), but a well modified nothing fancy Camaro with a few aesthetic modifications beat fancy corvettes and others simply because of the pride and hard work they put into their car.

Now THAT’S a car show.

Nowadays. They just say that car looks cool, here, trophy. I shit you not...one time I won a car show I wasn’t even entered in. I had parked on the curb near the show to hang out with friends and they called out my car because they thought they lost the paperwork. On top of that it was dirirrrrrrrrty as hell.

This is just an example I plucked off google. Check out the bonus section...looks pretty fair to me.

Name:  02BB499D-A29B-4813-9D83-1E65694C8C6B.png
Views: 419
Size:  30.4 KB
SquawkVFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 05:00 PM   #51
JLSuperfly

Drives: 2014 Red Hot LS3
The snipe comments go away once they see my shiny new catch can.
JLSuperfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 05:07 PM   #52
AZCamaroFan
Camaro6 2016-2018

Drives: sometimes
that's pretty crazy that people act jealous or hate on newer cars. i havn't seen that myself. there is a culture at these shows where you feel like they are catering to the past. the ones local to me are always playing music from the 50's.
Old 09-18-2019, 05:08 PM   #53
SquawkVFR
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLSuperfly View Post
Omg that always wins best in show! I bet you carry caboodles of coveted catch-can championship car cups!
SquawkVFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 05:37 PM   #54
Jayjellyfish212

Drives: 2014 1LE
Funny thing about the people who whine about newer cars at car shows is 50% of the cars are modern cars there... another fun fact is the door man and event promoter don’t turn the modern cars away and love taking an entrance show fee.

I believe the most car shows have certainly made recognitions for years make and models since most have classes etc. those are usually the fun shows. Isn’t it a car show anyway; point to show your car.. lol

I personally would rather be out at a track event, driving and using the car for what it is designed to do ... Drive it! Run what ya brung still applies today .
Old 09-18-2019, 05:57 PM   #55
Iron Lung Jimmy

Drives: Iron Lung, Jimmy
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLSuperfly View Post
That's when the jealousy comes into play.
Iron Lung Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 06:11 PM   #56
xstuntman

Drives: 2012 Victory Red LFX
So far it's just been cars and coffee, no shows.

I have noticed the guys with classics and old school rods sit together with their folding chairs and avoid the newer car guys. And we are talking about zero detail on many of their cars too. How the hell can you be a true car guy with a dirty ride? Meh. Fuds.

My rides detailed and drop dead gorgeous every time.
2018 SS wheels, red Heritage grille, actual driving lights, ZL1 strut tower brace, GM Performance billet aluminum fuel door, front grille Bowtie delete, painted red rotors and calipers, 1/4 window American Flags, splash guards, AEM dry panel air filter.
xstuntman is offline   Reply With Quote