Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - California

Old 02-08-2016, 08:07 PM   #1
i2disturbedSS

Drives: 2010 SS L99 IOM
What is it like to live in CA?

Thinking about moving to CA. Most likely the northern part. I am pretty much done living in this harsh winter state of MT. My other half is from CA so the location was on her side too. I am though actually from WA so I know the temps compare to those two places will be opposite. Besides that though how are the people, any advice on where to live or to stay away from? When people say high cost of living what is a number figure to that? WA was consider to be costly also but it felt fine because I was used to it.

What about registering my car and smog checks? What would be the ball park figure of how much that will coat? I have LT no mufflers or cats. Do I need to replace this system with stock?

Some places that people refer me to is Roseville, Rocklin, Yuba City, Woodland, Citrus Heights and Fairfield. Any positive or negative about these places?

I will have more random questions later so thanks for your time.
Old 02-08-2016, 09:20 PM   #2
CAmaroUSNgm

Drives: 2011 SS2 inferno orange
Fairfield is great, certain areas are to stay aeay from likr any other city and replace your car to stock get it smogged and registered or keep it registered out of state
CAmaroUSNgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 09:53 PM   #3
2010SSRSM6

Drives: My wife crazy with my C5 usage.
Negatives: They are all in California. Traffic sucks ass. Gas prices. Taxes.

Positives: It's a short drive out of the state? In and out!

In all seriousness, you pay a huge premium on everything here. Weather, gas, taxes, taxes, registration, taxes, wait I think I'm missing something.....Did I say taxes? Property tax is 1.8ish % and depending on the area it can go over 2.2%, most areas you are paying a premium for a nice house but in reality you are getting a house that is considered a mediocre house elsewhere (example, my house in say Texas would be on 1/2 an acre and cost just over $200k, my house is actually on a 7700 sq ft lot and cost more than 3X's that much).

I live in a nice area, I know its nice because its where the little thieving bastards come with they want new shit. So my property taxes are higher, I pay for schools I do not have kids in, we are in a drought because water is being diverted because of a damn fish that isn't supposed to be in a specific waterway, and we have been ordered to stop outdoor watering until March. So I have a big(ish) house with a dead lawn, break-ins in broad daylight while responsible adults are at work and I'm getting taxed over $1.57 per gallon on gas ($2.55 yesterday for 87 octane). Don't even get me started on the winter/summer blend for gas here.

Meanwhile the local police department sets up speed traps to generate revenue instead of trying to find the idiots breaking into houses and stealing cars, tools, etc out of peoples driveways.

God forbid you want to buy a gun.......

I've lived here almost all of my life (spent 5 years on the east coast while in the military, rest of my career was here) and I've watched it sink lower and lower every year. My wife is taking a job in San Antonio later this year and we are running as fast as we can. I love the weather, but there is only so much crap you can be expected to put up with for 85* February days.
Old 02-09-2016, 12:59 AM   #4
Nor Cal ZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
Out of the places you listed Rocklin and Roseville are pretty good with no bad areas. As mentioned Fairfield has some bad areas. Stay on the north side of the 80, or go further west to the Cordelia/green valley area.. The rest of the areas you mentioned are either in the middle of nowhere or are less desireable. Also look into Folsom since most of your list was in the Sac valley area.

For the Sac area Roseville, Rocklin, or Folsom would be my target area to move to.

For the solano county area I would choose Cordelia/greenvalley, North Vacaville near brownsvalley, followed by north side Fairfield. The south east of fairfield has an Air Base and is not very nice. Paradise Valley is also very nice on the north end of fairfield.

For any of the nice area's I mentioned expect to pay about 500000- 600000+ for a nice house.
For the Yuba City which is an hour in any direction to get anywhere about 260000, and about the same for Woodland. Both cities have good and bad areas. The wages in those areas are much less than the Sac area, there are a lot of commuters to Sac.

Yuba city nice areas are north or south only. Woodland south east only.

Lincoln is just north of Rocklin and is nice. You should also consider that on your list.

It is really hot in the sac valley in the summer. Hitting 110+ happens There are only really two seasons which seem to change overnight. Expect am 30 degree low and 50 high in the winter. Average rain fall is around 15 to 20 inches.

The cops are pretty agressive with speed traps on the major hiways, but hit up the 49 or 20 for a good country drive. Many of the roads up to Tahoe are nice as well.There are two road course tracks fairly close, as well as drag strips when you need to blow off some steam.

For smog the headers and no cats won't pass if they look.

Nor Cal is vastly different than So Cal. Here are some shots from a few road trips. Feel free to ask any specific questions as I am in all of those area's often. As far as the people it varies from city to city, Bay area is wayyyy more slow than Sacramento and more hip I guess. For the most part everyone is nice, but probably not quite as friendly as Oregon.
Attached Images

Last edited by Nor Cal ZL1; 02-09-2016 at 01:51 AM.
Nor Cal ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 02:03 AM   #5
SPCBA

Drives: pleather and Chiclets
Don't do it man. I wish I never came back to California about 5 days a week.
Old 02-09-2016, 12:40 PM   #6
i2disturbedSS

Drives: 2010 SS L99 IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPCBA View Post
Don't do it man. I wish I never came back to California about 5 days a week.
I hope it wont be like that:(

Thanks for all the detail answer guys I really do appreciate it and will continue to do my research. I plan on renting a house or a nice apartment first. If I do really like the area for the first few years a house will be on a radar to purchase.

Some things I'm worry about is all the Camaros that are getting stolen and this drought has caught my intention. Property tax is a bitch too.
Old 02-09-2016, 02:27 PM   #7
Phil_ar

Drives: 2LT RS
Hey buddy,

I just moved from California from the United Kingdom. Man, what a culture shock, but having said that, other parts of america would've been more extreme in that sense haha.

I gotta say, I absolutely love California. I actually live in Downtown Los Angeles, so it's not really representative of what California has to offer, but it's a fantastic place in my opinion. I work in the film industry, so that's why I am here.

Anyways, if you're living downtown Los Angeles, expect to pay 2k+ for a 1 bed apartment, but doesn't seem like it's where you want to be anyways. I can't really offer much advice for places to live in California cause i'm new here.

Anyways, car rules. I drive a 2011 Camaro 2LT RS and yeah there are a couple of rules. I sort of walk a thin line here, but I have a CARB approved Cold Air Intake by AEM, deleted my resonators and run Magnaflow mufflers. I passed the smogtest with no issues. I think as long as your car doesnt throw codes, it will be fine. I got mine done by a guy in Culver City, In and out in 15 minutes. Pretty good.

Make sure you have good insurance for your car, a good alarm and a garage to park it. I always keep mine inside overnight. Theft Insurance is a biggie tho.
Phil_ar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 03:07 PM   #8
SPCBA

Drives: pleather and Chiclets
Quote:
Originally Posted by i2disturbedSS View Post
I hope it wont be like that:(

Thanks for all the detail answer guys I really do appreciate it and will continue to do my research. I plan on renting a house or a nice apartment first. If I do really like the area for the first few years a house will be on a radar to purchase.

Some things I'm worry about is all the Camaros that are getting stolen and this drought has caught my intention. Property tax is a bitch too.
You pay the California sun tax soooooo many ways soooooo many times. Milk here is more expensive cuz special Cali milk rules. Gas is more expensive because special California gas tax, ohh ya now registration goes on a percentage few what you paid what they think it's worth but they added a new per mile tax cuz those two taxes weren't enough tax on cars. Want to have a kid and bathe them often and use water to run through sprinklers for fun and wash your car? Well your neighbor will bitch and complain and a few of those are actually some crazy offense that will get you fined.........

If you want the life want the California weather want the mountains desert beach farmland in a hour drive (some places take 3 hours for 40 miles) do it. It's amazing. It's just gonna cost you every which way. If it gets you more time with family (there's a lot of convenience but a lot of ****ed up time syncs nobody wants to do) , more security financially (don't forget the added costs add up to make Cali incomes much lower for standard of living comparisons) hell if it's gonna make your girl happy and you can do it do it! Just don't do it blind. Pros and cons.

DONT TOUCH THE ELK HERE ITS PRISON TIME
I can see the refinery from where I fill up and I paid 295 for 91
Old 02-09-2016, 04:03 PM   #9
Nor Cal ZL1

You will find diverse answers here depending on where people are located in the state.
I have lived at both ends and can say in my opinion I would run away from So Cal, I hated it there, traffic, smog, and dependant of Nor Cals water.

Your target area is just fine as long as cost wise you know what your getting into. For the thefts those are mostly in the south and east bay. Close to the Oakland chop shops. I wouldn't sweat it much near sac.
Old 02-09-2016, 06:43 PM   #10
pimpaluv

Drives: 2010 camaro 1ss
just my 2cents.. I live in SoCal. Best weather in all States. Not too cold n not too hot. Traffic is horrible but well worth it. Nice cars all day long. From Lowriders to Lambo's. Summertime comes around you hit the beach, lakes and rivers. Winter you hit the snow or bar hopping. You also have Disneyland, Six Flags,Knotts and Universal Studios(A Must)
I also go up north a couple of times a year as I have family out there in Sacramento, Nappa valley and San Francisco.The scene is different. It's very cold and very hot. Very quiet and boring. Not so many sport cars, mostly mini SUV's and plain as cars. People seen broke there or too rich to spent it on cars. There's no beaches or thing to do out there. Weather sucks in Frisco. Nappa Valley is all vine yards. "All" But in the good way you can grow a nice family and nice greens!!!
pimpaluv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 07:34 PM   #11
Nor Cal ZL1

Yep there you have it a completely different scene. True there are beaches up here but the ocean is very cold, however the crab fishing is fantastic. And sure there is nothing to do, if your not into motocross, sking, mountain biking, boating, or hunting, or hitting the tracks in the area. True people seem quite mundane with the car issue, but they are out there. So Cal does have a one up with the car scene.

We have better air, peace and quiet, and your water. There are some fantastic areas in So Cal but the traffic is horrid, an absolute insane mess and the main reason I got outa there. The op asked about a certain area in Nor Cal and got negative feedback about the whole state from So Cal posters. There is no right or wrong here, the south and north are just different.Very different.
Old 02-09-2016, 08:50 PM   #12
G7C ZL1
Bully

Drives: G7C ZL1
If you own a V8 Camaro, the bay area is home to poachers waiting for an unattended Camaro in the wild (or at your home for that matter). They are able to take it within seconds. Check out the threads regarding this matter and protect yourself if you find that your travels take you to those areas with any regularity.
2012 Dodge Durango Crew
G7C ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 08:53 PM   #13
BruHop

Drives: 2014 2SS 1LE,RS,NPP,Recaros in SW
Agreed, big differences in Nor Cal vs. So Cal. However we have the Bay Area. Traffic Sucks in those locations. I would think it would drive someone from Montana straight outta here living in those big cities. The So Cal posters mentioned nice cars down there, but driving stop and go on the freeway at 5mph is not my idea of enjoying my car. I lived in Citrus Heights (you mentioned it) you could do better. The before mentioned Roseville, Rocklin and Folsom are good. I am in Granite Bay now and have some room between neighbors, 1 acre. I think you would like the room and lesser crowds of Auburn a few miles East. Everybody has mentioned the taxes, and everyone is correct. Not sure where they are getting their gas but I paid $1.87 at Costco for 87 octane and $1.85 for Diesel this weekend. I think the 91 octane was $2.11. People are fine, not like Montana you will have more undesirables here.
BruHop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 09:36 PM   #14
LateBrakeU2

Drives: 15 RH Z/28, 23 RB2SS1LE, 23LT1VOM
I asked my Buddy from Montana what are the seasons like up there,he said there's three- July, August, and winter. Coming from a native I can tell you this state is circling the drain. Once my kids are in the wild I am heading for AZ ,it's a great car state and unlike here it ain't never gonna be an ATM for welfare fraud.
LateBrakeU2 is offline   Reply With Quote