Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-25-2016, 02:54 PM   #1
Mg1a

Drives: 2011 Camaro ss convertible
2011 Camaro ss convertible rear half window motor problem

Has anybody had problems with their rear driver side window not going up and down on their convertible?i have a 2011 ss convertible with only 60000kms or 35000 miles on it and the window won't go up and down when you push the switch on the door.it goes down fine when I push the overhead button to put the top down.took it to gm who told me it needs a new motor already and they aren't covering the costs.this car was a daily driver for the first year when I put about 12000 miles on it and the past couple years I haven't put much mileage on it.the service writer told me it probably isn't working because I don't use the button much which blows my mind.any suggestions on how to deal with gm about this would be appreciated.ive already called the 1800 number to talk to gm and they are doing the usual not calling me back when they say they will
Mg1a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 02:58 PM   #2
paul84043

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS RS 1LE
You know.. It never even occurred to me that the rear windows on the Vert go down.

Can't be a motor if it actually goes down with the top. Probably a bad switch.
paul84043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 03:06 PM   #3
Mg1a

Thanks for your reply.i should have been more specific.i am talking about the small side window not the actual back glass.they have told me the reason it goes down properly when I use the convertible button is because the hatch is released and takes the pressure off the window.also when I use the door button to put the window down it makes all the noises just won't go up and down.so they have ordered me in a motor at a cost of 350 Canadian and are trying to weasel out of fixing it for me.i think gm should back up their products better.i baby this car it is heated charge kept no reason for the motor to go already because as they said "maybe you don't put the back window up and down enough" any suggestions on how to get gm to cover this for me?thanks for reading
Old 02-25-2016, 03:07 PM   #4
Mg1a

Heated garage*
Old 02-25-2016, 03:09 PM   #5
paul84043

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS RS 1LE
Huh.... well.. Maybe if the motor has gone soft, but my brain has a hard time accepting that. Stuff happens though, And yeah, I can picture the window you're talking about, just never put 2 and 2 together and realized that they're not fixed... duh...
If you're pressing the button and the motor is attempting to move, then you're eliminated all that and all you're really left with is the motor or an obstruction..
paul84043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 03:15 PM   #6
Mg1a

Thanks Paul any ideas how to deal with gm on this issue my drivetrain warranty is good for another few months but the bumper to bumper is obviously expired.
Old 02-25-2016, 03:54 PM   #7
sbubbaklein

Drives: early 2011 Camaro convertible
if the window goes down when the top is cycled it is not the motor. Try swapping the switch with the one side that is working to determine if switch is the concern. You really need to figure out what is the problem before you ask GM to pay for it.

Early 2011 LT Convertible, ZL1 bumper, hood, side skirts, belly pan and wheels, Truecarbon ECF hood extractor, K&N CAI, Elite catch can, Big Worm Bow Tie emblems, Jacfab bracket, Vitesse TC, BMR strut brace, BMR tunnel brace, NPP exhaust
sbubbaklein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 04:12 PM   #8
Mg1a

Thank you for the reply the gm dealership says it's because when the convertible top is unlatched it takes the pressure off the window and that's why it works only that way.the mechanic at gm claims it's because of the motor and not a switch so my main concern now is getting gm to cover the motor on a very expensive car that has a shoddy window motor in it
Old 02-25-2016, 06:05 PM   #9
Mr. Stacy
El Duderino

Drives: 2011 2LTRS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mg1a View Post
Thank you for the reply the gm dealership says it's because when the convertible top is unlatched it takes the pressure off the window and that's why it works only that way.the mechanic at gm claims it's because of the motor and not a switch so my main concern now is getting gm to cover the motor on a very expensive car that has a shoddy window motor in it
Mmmmm k. Would be nice if you used a capital letter and some punctuation now and then, but I think I get it.

1. When the top is down, does the window in question go up and down with the switch?

2. If the answer to 1 is yes, can you put resistance on the window and keep it from moving? (use your hand).

Answer these and report back here.
Old 02-25-2016, 08:35 PM   #10
DanielW

Drives: 2011 SS/RS convertible
What mr. Stacy said.
DanielW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 09:00 PM   #11
Mg1a

Mmm maybe when your done with your period I can borrow it?all jokes aside mr Stacy some of us are working 16 hour days and don't have time to proofread an essay on a forum.it was diagnosed as a window motor already so I was just asking if anybody has had a similar problem with gm not backing their product up on a low mileage car.
Old 02-26-2016, 12:08 AM   #12
Mr. Stacy
El Duderino

Drives: 2011 2LTRS Convertible
Quote:
Mmm maybe when your done with your period I can borrow it?all jokes aside mr Stacy some of us are working 16 hour days and don't have time to proofread an essay on a forum.it was diagnosed as a window motor already so I was just asking if anybody has had a similar problem with gm not backing their product up on a low mileage car.
Well, with what you have presented some of us don't think it's the motor. It's a simple exercise that would tell us for sure what to recommend. If you don't want to supply that information, and believe your service manager, that's your prerogative I guess... Trust but verify is what I practice.

Your bumper to bumper is well over. That is the only coverage that would apply to that part. Unless you got extended warranty? It's all in the fine print. Remember, big lettering gives you things, small lettering takes things away.

That being said, a GM rear window regulator/motor for your car is $45 on Amazon. Should be an easy replacement if one has basic mechanical skills and a tool set.

Good luck.

Oh, and nobody is asking for an essay. Just basic grade school grammar skills would suffice.
Old 02-26-2016, 12:23 AM   #13
Welker2
Ret AF, cancer survivor

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS & 2006 Corvette
Quote:
Has anybody had problems with their rear driver side window not going up and down on their convertible?i have a 2011 ss convertible with only 60000kms or 35000 miles on it and the window won't go up and down when you push the switch on the door.it goes down fine when I push the overhead button to put the top down.took it to gm who told me it needs a new motor already and they aren't covering the costs.this car was a daily driver for the first year when I put about 12000 miles on it and the past couple years I haven't put much mileage on it.the service writer told me it probably isn't working because I don't use the button much which blows my mind.any suggestions on how to deal with gm about this would be appreciated.ive already called the 1800 number to talk to gm and they are doing the usual not calling me back when they say they will
Does the window go back up after it goes down when putting the top down? If so, it's not a motor problem and sounds more like the (window) switch has failed. If this is the case, I would talk to the dealership manager to see if they can help. If they can't, I'd try taking it to another dealer to see what they say. If they don't help to resolve your problem, I'd contact GM directly (through email, phone call or letter) and explain your situation to them to see what they have to say. Good luck on resolving your issue.
Old 02-26-2016, 12:37 AM   #14
Mg1a

Thank you very much welder for your positive feedback.it does go back up when putting the top up.sounds like maybe the dealership is trying to hose me for a motor?it takes the dealership two weeks from today to get the motor delivered in the meantime I'm going to continue to try to get ahold of the person I've been talking to at gms customer service who still hasn't returned my calls since their diagnosis today.beautiful car by the way mine is silver with black stripes