Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-14-2012, 09:41 PM   #57
jesserayjames

Drives: Drives a 2012 IOM 2SS/RS 6M
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laserjen View Post
How am I being timid? They've already said they will repaint. Lawyers are not necessary. I'm just wavering over whether repainting is the best option. If you'd accused me of being too stupid to know that repainting and clear-coating half the car is the obvious choice with no possible drawbacks now or in the future, I'd be harder pressed to argue.

Repainting is not the problem, it can be done correctly by someone that knows what they are doing, your dealership couldn't repair anything right, bitch to GM, I saw in one of the posts, that a GM customer rep was willing to help you what happened there...................
Old 09-14-2012, 09:46 PM   #58
jesserayjames

Drives: Drives a 2012 IOM 2SS/RS 6M
Sorry, I didn't realize you are a girl, that's my answer good luck....................... JRJ
Old 09-14-2012, 10:23 PM   #59
Bad@ssCamaro
BeckyD Rocks :-)

Drives: 2015 1SS/1LE
I'm going to chime in and say you approached this whole issue in a professional and courteous manner, and in that regards, you are being treated as such.

In regards to having it repainted, IMHO, it would benefit you better in the long run than a touch-up will. I understand about the "possible" quality issues when it comes to a repaint, but the simple way to allay your fears about that is to discuss it with their paint department and ask to see some of the repair work they have done. If you don't feel comfortable with their process, see if they would be willing to have a professional auto-body shop do the work.

And Congratulations on your "new" vehicle may it bring many miles of smiles. Oh, and don't forget to get a good set of Winter tires.

Bad@ssCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 10:38 PM   #60
Laserjen

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad@ssCamaro View Post
I'm going to chime in and say you approached this whole issue in a professional and courteous manner, and in that regards, you are being treated as such.

In regards to having it repainted, IMHO, it would benefit you better in the long run than a touch-up will. I understand about the "possible" quality issues when it comes to a repaint, but the simple way to allay your fears about that is to discuss it with their paint department and ask to see some of the repair work they have done. If you don't feel comfortable with their process, see if they would be willing to have a professional auto-body shop do the work.

And Congratulations on your "new" vehicle may it bring many miles of smiles. Oh, and don't forget to get a good set of Winter tires.
Thank you, that is very helpful! And winter tires are definitely on my list...I had the Pirelli snow and ice tires on my old Camaro and they were very good (unfortunately just too small to fit over the brakes on the SS so I sold them).
Old 09-14-2012, 11:22 PM   #61
Laserjen

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroJim56 View Post
One of those free accessories needs to be a Heritage Grille.....

Best of luck to you.
Oh good call, I like that!
Old 09-15-2012, 08:24 AM   #62
redrocker

Drives: 2012 camaro ss rs
Tell them to keep the car or give u another one...
redrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 09:11 AM   #63
SirZeusor

Drives: 2012 Camaro LS
Originally Posted by Laserjen

Also, I have not filled out the survey yet so I do have that leverage left!

I feel much better now!

Bad news on that.....I just called my dealer because this thread sparked my memory that I never got a survey.
My car had HORRIBLE paint issues ....runs...scratches...unacceptable delivery apperance for a car with 12 miles on it.

so i called

dealer said....and I quote " GM stopped sending out the surveys"
i asked why...
he said....umm...umm....umm....let me transfer you......dial tone.....

they have had so many paint issues and other issues with these cars that they quit sending them out because thats how they get bonuses and paid out for the sales so in order (speculation) for the sales people to hold their job they quit sending them out on Camaros..

pathetic.
SirZeusor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 09:15 AM   #64
Laserjen

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirZeusor View Post
Bad news on that.....I just called my dealer because this thread sparked my memory that I never got a survey.
My car had HORRIBLE paint issues ....runs...scratches...unacceptable delivery apperance for a car with 12 miles on it.

so i called

dealer said....and I quote " GM stopped sending out the surveys"
i asked why...
he said....umm...umm....umm....let me transfer you......dial tone.....

they have had so many paint issues and other issues with these cars that they quit sending them out because thats how they get bonuses and paid out for the sales so in order (speculation) for the sales people to hold their job they quit sending them out on Camaros..

pathetic.
Wow, now that's a shady dealer! I have my survey in hand and my dealer knows it. They are keen to make sure I give them a good rating. I let them know that I want to do the repaint, so we'll see what happens next.
Old 09-15-2012, 09:30 AM   #65
heRS
Raised by Wolves

Drives: IBM 2010 2LT RS M6
Quote:
Wow, now that's a shady dealer! I have my survey in hand and my dealer knows it. They are keen to make sure I give them a good rating. I let them know that I want to do the repaint, so we'll see what happens next.
Good for you Jen, don't settle for less.

heRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 11:21 PM   #66
Rhyder

Drives: 2012 45 Anniversary Vert
Quote:
I agree, but to be fair I did buy the car knowing it had 2 scratches on it. And I've been given the option now, touch up by a professional or repaint by the dealer body shop. I've changed my mind several times at this point over which would ultimately be better. Although most here agree the repaint is the better option, I've spoken to people who've had bad experiences with repainted vehicles (poor quality, fading, etc).
Every paint job or repair Ive had comes with a warranty on it, I haven't had a GM dealer but once a ford dealer and twice a body shop did paint repairs. they had from 3 yrs to lifetime warranties on the paint.

If it fades take it back.
Rhyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 09:17 AM   #67
Laserjen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhyder View Post
Every paint job or repair Ive had comes with a warranty on it, I haven't had a GM dealer but once a ford dealer and twice a body shop did paint repairs. they had from 3 yrs to lifetime warranties on the paint.

If it fades take it back.
I did ask, and the dealer body shop has a lifetime warranty on all their work...which is one of the things (including the advice here) that convinced me to repaint. They've ordered a heritage grille for me (free of charge), and when it arrives I will take my car back to get the repaint and the grille installed.
Old 09-16-2012, 10:10 AM   #68
2SShowngo

Drives: 2013 black ZL1#456
Quote:
I agree, but to be fair I did buy the car knowing it had 2 scratches on it. And I've been given the option now, touch up by a professional or repaint by the dealer body shop. I've changed my mind several times at this point over which would ultimately be better. Although most here agree the repaint is the better option, I've spoken to people who've had bad experiences with repainted vehicles (poor quality, fading, etc).
ok im a little off on this but...the professional can touch up but the dealer has to do the repaint??? if it were me i would have them cover the cost of having the professional painter paint the car right. these guys,if reputable,take great pride in their work and know word of mouth keeps them in business.i would never trust a dealer to paint anything on my car.my dealer also offered the oil change for life which i quickly asked if that would include AMSOIL, hense i do my own and know its better protected for her life.AS FAR AS the accessories theyre offering you,whatever you decide its your ride that you have to look at everyday so get whats gonna make you smile when you look at it ...oh and for the chips from driving,might wanna look into a clear bra,they not only protect the front but can do the roof line,the mirrors,whatever you want covered. good luck and i hope YOU are satisfied with the results.
2SShowngo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 12:51 PM   #69
Grey Ghost

Drives: 2013 HWSE 2SS
Your dealer sounds very unorganized. Once you get your car back and I would not accept it if they haven't fixed what they said they would. It's sounds like its been sitting there and they haven't done a thing.

I would e looking for another dealer to get my service done in the future. Don't think I would be taking it to them.

My dealer does great service, but the body shop seems very unorganized. I went in to see about getting a high wing spoiler installed that I was buying from their parts department and they didnt seem interested at all in doing the work and when I actually got the manager to take me seriously and talk to me about doing the work. He acted like they didn't want to do it and pretty much gave me an absurd price for it. Basically he also told me they would have to reprint most the car to get my trunk to match and this is on a new car!!

So I do my own oil changes to save money. I like Mobil 1 and Mobil 1 filter, I save $60.00 doing my own oil change. They want $90.00 and a day to change oil. The service department has been doing service I can't do on my wife's car since 2006 and have been great. Always getting her car back to us same day.

For bodywork though I will be using a different dealer. Sounds like yours is the same as mine.
Old 09-16-2012, 01:04 PM   #70
Laserjen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey Ghost View Post
Your dealer sounds very unorganized. Once you get your car back and I would not accept it if they haven't fixed what they said they would. It's sounds like its been sitting there and they haven't done a thing.

I would e looking for another dealer to get my service done in the future. Don't think I would be taking it to them.

My dealer does great service, but the body shop seems very unorganized. I went in to see about getting a high wing spoiler installed that I was buying from their parts department and they didnt seem interested at all in doing the work and when I actually got the manager to take me seriously and talk to me about doing the work. He acted like they didn't want to do it and pretty much gave me an absurd price for it. Basically he also told me they would have to reprint most the car to get my trunk to match and this is on a new car!!

So I do my own oil changes to save money. I like Mobil 1 and Mobil 1 filter, I save $60.00 doing my own oil change. They want $90.00 and a day to change oil. The service department has been doing service I can't do on my wife's car since 2006 and have been great. Always getting her car back to us same day.

For bodywork though I will be using a different dealer. Sounds like yours is the same as mine.
While there certainly have been some screw-ups with my dealer, they've apologized and are trying to make things right. I have my car now (they had it for 3 days when they did the touch up I ended up not being happy with). When the grille comes in, I'll take it back and they said the repaint should take another 2-3 days (not sure how they're gonna do that when it took them 3 days for a simple touch up, but we'll see). If the repaint isn't done right, you can be sure I will insist they either fix it or find someone who can.

If my dealer wasn't providing free oil changes and if I had a better place to work on my car (no garage and a steep driveway) I might consider doing my oil changes, but honestly I'm just as happy to let someone else do it.

I haven't had any experience with this dealer's service dept yet, I'm hoping they are better than the other two area Chevy dealers I've previously gone to. When I had my Grand Am I took my car to a Pontiac dealer (now GMC-Buick) that I really liked -- unfortunately they don't do warranty work on Chevy's unless it is an emergency.