Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-12-2007, 06:37 PM   #1
Hunter330123
Muscle Car Prodigy

Drives: 1973 Chevy Nova
ALOT!! info about the 2009 camaro!

ok i just found this post on another forum some one from austalia posted it and it is packed with info about the 2009 camaro so here it is...

"G'day,
This is my first post here, so be gentle. I heard some good news today. A friend who has a friend who works at General Motors Holden here in Melbourne, Australia, told me that Holden have designed and built 29 Camaros that are being tested at Holden's proving ground at Lang Lang, south east of Melbourne. Ten convertibles and 19 coupes, both LEFT HAND DRIVE and RIGHT HAND DRIVE have been built from "short run" dies and are going through the verification process before the production tooling dies are ordered. Then the cars will be built in North America late next year for an early 2009 release. About six months later a RIGHT HAND DRIVE Camaro will be offered for sale in Great Britain, Japan and, of course, Australia.

Based on the recently released (rear wheel drive, four door sedan) VE Holden Commodore, the Camaro will share its platform, which includes a totally new strut front suspension with forward mounted rack-and-pinion steering. At the rear, a totally new multi-link independent rear suspension has been designed and this all adds up to a four door sedan that handles like a sports car.

Instead of designing the car to compete just against the local Australian Ford Falcon, Holden has set its sights on BMW and Mercedes Benz and has suceeded admirably, going by the media reports on the VE sedan.

For several years now, Holden has made LHD versions of its Commodores and long wheelbase Statesmans for export to the Middle and recently the Far East where they are sold as "Chevrolet Luminas" and "Chevrolet Caprices" in the former and "Buick Royams" in the latter. Holden has earned a reputation for building low cost (compared to BMW etc.) high quality and very comfortable large sedans that are very popular in places like the United Arab Emirates.

Fitted with the 195 kW Holden V6 and the 270 kW six litre (Chevrolet) V8, these cars are a big hit for those who want performance as well as economy and reliability, but at a price less than half of what a German auto manufacturer requests.

And the new Camaro is being built on this platform. I understand that a convertible is on display in Detroit this week, along with the 2006 Hot Rod Magazine "Hot Rod of the Year", the Holden EFIJY, so take a look at them if you're going. I just wish I could.

Regards from Down Under

aussiejohn

my nova(underconstuction)
Hunter330123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 07:50 PM   #2
KILLER74Z28
MOD SQUAD

Drives: 2G1FT1EW9A9100666
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter330123 View Post
ok i just found this post on another forum some one from austalia posted it and it is packed with info about the 2009 camaro so here it is...

"G'day,
This is my first post here, so be gentle. I heard some good news today. A friend who has a friend who works at General Motors Holden here in Melbourne, Australia, told me that Holden have designed and built 29 Camaros that are being tested at Holden's proving ground at Lang Lang, south east of Melbourne. Ten convertibles and 19 coupes, both LEFT HAND DRIVE and RIGHT HAND DRIVE have been built from "short run" dies and are going through the verification process before the production tooling dies are ordered. Then the cars will be built in North America late next year for an early 2009 release. About six months later a RIGHT HAND DRIVE Camaro will be offered for sale in Great Britain, Japan and, of course, Australia.

Based on the recently released (rear wheel drive, four door sedan) VE Holden Commodore, the Camaro will share its platform, which includes a totally new strut front suspension with forward mounted rack-and-pinion steering. At the rear, a totally new multi-link independent rear suspension has been designed and this all adds up to a four door sedan that handles like a sports car.

Instead of designing the car to compete just against the local Australian Ford Falcon, Holden has set its sights on BMW and Mercedes Benz and has suceeded admirably, going by the media reports on the VE sedan.

For several years now, Holden has made LHD versions of its Commodores and long wheelbase Statesmans for export to the Middle and recently the Far East where they are sold as "Chevrolet Luminas" and "Chevrolet Caprices" in the former and "Buick Royams" in the latter. Holden has earned a reputation for building low cost (compared to BMW etc.) high quality and very comfortable large sedans that are very popular in places like the United Arab Emirates.

Fitted with the 195 kW Holden V6 and the 270 kW six litre (Chevrolet) V8, these cars are a big hit for those who want performance as well as economy and reliability, but at a price less than half of what a German auto manufacturer requests.

And the new Camaro is being built on this platform. I understand that a convertible is on display in Detroit this week, along with the 2006 Hot Rod Magazine "Hot Rod of the Year", the Holden EFIJY, so take a look at them if you're going. I just wish I could.

Regards from Down Under

aussiejohn
Nice find. Just take it with a grain of salt… Remember what Scott said.

“So........don't listen to what you hear from some people. There are many people out there making claims.....but when you investigate, you hear something along the lines of:”

"......well, my uncle's neighbor's sister's son's best friend's brother sells coffee filters to the GM Tech Center and HE KNOWS WHAT'S HAPPENING AT GM!!!"
KILLER74Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 07:57 PM   #3
Hunter330123
Muscle Car Prodigy

Drives: 1973 Chevy Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by KILLER74Z28 View Post
Nice find. Just take it with a grain of salt… Remember what Scott said.

“So........don't listen to what you hear from some people. There are many people out there making claims.....but when you investigate, you hear something along the lines of:”

"......well, my uncle's neighbor's sister's son's best friend's brother sells coffee filters to the GM Tech Center and HE KNOWS WHAT'S HAPPENING AT GM!!!"
lol will keep in mind

my nova(underconstuction)
Hunter330123 is offline   Reply With Quote