Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Other Generations > 1st & 2nd Generation Camaros

Old 11-27-2008, 11:06 PM   #1
Drsandman2

Drives: None
LS3 Second-Generation Camaro Engine Swap

Has anyone around here done this, or know anyone that has? Or maybe an LS7? I was looking to get a new 2010 SS, but with the LS3 crate engine being so cheap... I think I'll drop it into a 78-81 Z28 T-top.

Thanks!
Drsandman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 11:24 PM   #2
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Hope you don't mind....but since you are talking about placing the LS3 in a second gen, I moved the thread over to the 1st/2nd Gen forums. Thanks. And I'd love to help ya, but don't know anyone that has.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 07:05 PM   #3
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
not an LS3 but still close

http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...aro/index.html

http://www.ls1bandit.com/g2_embed/v/...e/first_drive/
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 07:58 PM   #4
BowtieGuy
Enlightened

Drives: Nothing Currently
If you want to make any kind of real power you don't want to put it in a T-top car. If that chassis flexes at all it's just going to crack the glass. It is a great idea, I hope you decide to do it. The LS7 is a great engine stock, but its potential is somewhat limited by the design that makes it so great. It would take more money than it's worth to fully build an LS7. Then again, 505hp is great by itself.

People have to talk about something just to keep their voice boxes in working order. So they'll have good voice boxes in case there's ever anything really meaningful to say.
Kurt Vonnegut
BowtieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 04:31 PM   #5
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

LS2 in a 72 camaro...

http://www.detroitspeed.com/projectp...alejr_main.htm

and I concur with bowtieguy about not using a t-top car if you plan on racing the car at all
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Quote:
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Old 11-30-2008, 09:49 PM   #6
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
LS2 in a 72 camaro...

http://www.detroitspeed.com/projectp...alejr_main.htm

and I concur with bowtieguy about not using a t-top car if you plan on racing the car at all
We learned our lessons about chassis flex in the V8 Vega years. Sure alot of fun tho even after we had to weld the doors shut because they wouldn't close anymore.

I haven't checked on crate motors in awhile, if you go any farther, make sure the ecu you get for the engine is programmed for a 'stand alone' setup, not dependent on other functions of the car, like speedo, tranny etc. Probably need a speed sensor somewhere in the driveline tho.

Hope you got deep pockets. Bet you spend more than a new SS costs before you're finished.

Last edited by Mr Twisty; 11-30-2008 at 10:02 PM.
Mr Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 04:31 PM   #7
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterCamaro69 View Post
I haven't checked on crate motors in awhile, if you go any farther, make sure the ecu you get for the engine is programmed for a 'stand alone' setup, not dependent on other functions of the car, like speedo, tranny etc. Probably need a speed sensor somewhere in the driveline tho.

Hope you got deep pockets. Bet you spend more than a new SS costs before you're finished.
the stand alone setup wont be entirely needed if you flash it with an M6 tune. then you can run any choice of non pcm controlled trans with it. unless you want a pcm controlled trans

Quote:
Quote:
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Old 01-21-2010, 04:21 PM   #8
Vega

Drives: 91' Camaro RS
Send a message via Yahoo to Vega
Ive actually been interested in this as well, my dad has an 81' Turbo T/A that we're looking forward to restoring, he is into rebuilding and keeping the original turbo 301 but im more into hot rodding it, i preffer cars that look completely stock on the outside but are built like modern day muscle cars under the skin. Our T/A is a black and gold Bandit (not sure if it is numbers correct or not but its got all the right tell-tale signs) also it is a T-tops car which would be a problem as previously mentioned here, but you can buy parts to strengthen the frame

My idea was to keep the car an automatic for many reasons, 1) All Turbos were automatic and as stated before i would want it to be as stock as possible inside and out. 2) Im not into doing a transmission swap, i dont really have the know-how and i just couldnt bring myself to cut up an original Bandit. 3) The automatics in the new Camaros are even faster than most manual transmissions anyways...other than that id want either an LS1 or a new crate LSX376, both engines are amazing
Vega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 04:25 PM   #9
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator

Drives: '13 BLK 1LE
L99 with VVT manual transmission in a second gen, f bod, that is my dream car.
I'll make it happen some day.
Old 01-21-2010, 04:53 PM   #10
Vega

Drives: 91' Camaro RS
Send a message via Yahoo to Vega
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milk 1027 View Post
L99 with VVT manual transmission in a second gen, f bod, that is my dream car.
I'll make it happen some day.
Haha, that sounds amazing man, in fact i was just talking to my friend about how my perfect car would be a 73' Trans Am that looks completely stock on the outside but underneath has all parts from a 2010 Camaro (cept maybe the rear end, gotta preserve some originality at least haha), id preffer the 6-speed myself even though the auto is shifts seamlessly, id be looking for fun not performance haha...then later id look into swapping the LS3 with an LSX454, those engines are nuts, 620hp and still gets 25mpg...then maybe bore it out just 1 more cube so itd be that magical 455 =D haha, that or just leave it stock and put 455 decals everywhere since 1 cube isnt really much to nit-pick over :p
Vega is offline   Reply With Quote