Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 01-03-2009, 09:07 PM   #1
camarogrl42

Drives: 01 ss
Any motocrossers on here?!?

i'm curious, yes i may be a girl but i'm addicted to motocross whether it be watching it on tv or looking up gear online. anyone on here to give me advice on how to get started? i live in michigan and of course snow is alll over here but i've always wanted to learn how to ride! any help..anyone!?!

camarogrl42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 09:21 PM   #2
CynAgain

Drives: Chevy
Quote:
Originally Posted by camarogrl42 View Post
i'm curious, yes i may be a girl but i'm addicted to motocross whether it be watching it on tv or looking up gear online. anyone on here to give me advice on how to get started? i live in michigan and of course snow is alll over here but i've always wanted to learn how to ride! any help..anyone!?!
Don't let the snow scare you away! There are a few indoor tracks to ride in the winter. The best one I've seen is Extreme Sports Dome in Port Huron. But if you don't know how to ride - the track is not the place to do it.

You need someone with a bike to show you how to ride. If you like it then break out the check book.

Where you at in Michigan?
CynAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 09:26 PM   #3
camarogrl42

ah! haha, i'm over in Rochester Hills, which in my case was WAY too close to steven grant!!! but if you know the area it's pretty built up there's no where reallly to go out and ride if you know what i mean!

Old 01-03-2009, 09:57 PM   #4
Boomer Sooner
Banned

Drives: my girlfriend nuts
I used to race motocross when I was younger(8yrs-16yrs old) and absolutely loved it. It was fun as shit!!!!<------that was an understatement! I tore up my elbow pretty bad when I was 16 and had to quit as a result. Sucked ass!!! And to this day, still sucks ass!!!

My advice: get a cheap dirtbike and learn the 'clutch' system of the bikes and you should be good. We(my family) always had a house with atleast 5-10 acres to go with it, and my dad bought me and my younger brother a couple a dirtbikes and built us our own 'lil' track in the backyard to ride and learn on. He taught us the basics, clutchwork, and all. And then let us free. I remember back then(I'm 26 now) comin home from school and the only thing on my mind was riding my dirtbike around our track my dad built in our back yard! It was great! We lived in Edmond, OK at the time and found out the nearest track around us was within 20-30min away in Midwest City. My dad said if we kept our grades up he would take us every weekend. We(me and my bro) kept our grades up and we're there damn near every weekend. Turns out, this(the track in Midwest City, was the hometown track of two of the professional motocrossers on the AMA circuit, Guy Cooper-from Stillwater, OK., and Robbie Reynard from Moore Oklahoma). You can't even imagine the feeling your riding/racing on the same track that two proffesional riders from the AMA supercross/motocross circuit consider as their 'hometown track'. It was badass!!!!!!!

Needless to say, we(my brother and I) got many pictures taken with them, as well as autographs from them. And during the off season, seeing them out there tearing up the track was badass!!! Some of the jumps they would do were amazing, jumps as in doubles, triples....

Guy Cooper, from Stillwater, OK has like 50 acres in Stillwater, OK. He invited me and my family to his place and watch him race one weekend, My dad took me and my brother and it was badass. He had like 2 'supercross' style tracks, 3 'motocross' style tracks, and 3 'enduro/cross country' style tracks. It was badass, to say the least.

Along the same note, at the track in MWC(Midwest City), I'll never forget......there was a 90ft tabletop jump, followed shortly by a single jump about 15ft or so right after the tabletop followed by a quick 's' turn. Robbie Reynard, when he was there(and I happened to be there), was the only one that would 'clear them' both. When I say 'clear them', I mean jump the whole 90ft tabletop jump as well as the single jump and land on the landing edge of the single jump. It was SICK!!!!!!

Man, this brings back memories!!!!!!!

I wish I still had/could ride motocross!

It(this track in MWC) has produced many riders on the Pro Circuit(AMA).
My last couple of races there was this guy name Jonny Marley in the same class as me(80cc). He was badass! I shit you not. As soon as the gate dropped, he would let us go(he stayed at the line), we would be off and running and he would let us get a lap/lap and a half in front of him then he would come up and pass us and ****ing win the race! It was insane! I geuss it didnt hurt that his aunt/uncle owned the land/track. But still, it was badass! He is also on the AMA circuit nowdays.
Boomer Sooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 02:03 AM   #5
Boomer Sooner
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by shank0668 View Post
:( where my post go?
I donno man? Thats strage? I made a post regarding it.
Old 01-04-2009, 02:11 AM   #6
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Sorry Shank. But if you want to discuss atv's, please jump on in your atv thread here. Or, you can post in your other atv thread here. I didn't mean disrespect, but the OP, I'm sure, wishes her thread to stay on topic with motocross. That wasn't happening with the last 5 to 7 atv posts. On top of that, there was language that was not appropriate for this forum. Rather than try to censor some words to make the off topic posts sound better, they were just deleted.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 02:49 AM   #7
Boomer Sooner
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
Sorry Shank. But if you want to discuss atv's, please jump on in your atv thread here. Or, you can post in your other atv thread here. I didn't mean disrespect, but the OP, I'm sure, wishes her thread to stay on topic with motocross. That wasn't happening with the last 5 to 7 atv posts. On top of that, there was language that was not appropriate for this forum. Rather than try to censor some words to make the off topic posts sound better, they were just deleted.
I would appreciate/want to hear your opinion on my my thread regarding you.
Old 02-02-2009, 03:31 PM   #8
camarogrl42

yeah i'm killin to start suggestions for who makes the best dirtbikes guys?!?

Old 02-02-2009, 04:30 PM   #9
SAE05
inconspicuous observer

Drives: 05 GTO
You know you want to get into it. You have the money to spend on it. You are in shape to do this. You have medical insurance. You are tough. You don’t get discouraged easily. You can dedicate yourself to this.
If you answered yes to all of these questions then perhaps this will be something you will enjoy.

Get a used bike, smaller displacement bike that has tunable suspension, it will need to be “set up” to your height and weight, it’s key for a properly handling bike, otherwise you are fighting it in corners over jumps, through whoops, ect.

Get the gear used except the helmet, go buy a new one the fits correctly so you will need to go and try them on even if you are going to order off the net. You never know you might end up not liking it.

There were 3 of us that raced and had access to a couple of tracks and track level riding areas that allowed us to practice and hone our riding. I raced for motocross for 6 seasons, AMA district 14 and also MRA district races. I raced at the dome and a lot of flat track on the ice in sanctioned events. Most of the racing I did was in Michigan.

IMO, since I rode Suzuki, and still do in road racing that, is my first pick. My second is Honda. It may be preference. You may want to research a bit and see if there is a bike suited to your body profile. Some bike manufactures offer bikes that have a wide adjustment range to set seat height and preloads for the shock settings.