Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 01-01-2011, 03:03 PM   #1
Revo1
Don't Like it? Suggit.

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Question SO, final word on tune detection??

I'm sure this topic has been covered, I'm just late to the party. Can a Diablosport tune be detected by the dealer?? I apologize for my ignorance on the topic, but alot of these debates end unresolved.

"Tops off, tach up baby- loud and proud!"
A Camaro lover from day one- 1996 3.8 V6 Camaro, to 1996 5.7 LT1 Camaro Z28, to the sold 2002 5.7 LS1 Camaro SS, and NOW, a [I]6.2 L99 VR 2SS/RS: XS Power stainless full exhaust, Airaid CAI, BMR drop springs and sways, custom tune by Cal Speed- 411rwhp
Revo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 08:29 AM   #2
Ohten

Drives: Granite Crystal Challenger SRT
Attached Images

Old 01-03-2011, 08:41 AM   #3
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Drives: '16 Camaro 2SS, '20 Equinox Redline
Yes. GM uses a flash counter so even if you revert back to stock tune GM will know! They can check to see if the date and time stamps on the flash counter match the last known GM flash. If not they will void the powertrain warranty!
ssmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 02:21 PM   #4
Revo1
Don't Like it? Suggit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC2150 View Post
But they ONLY scan for flash count if there is a claim they suspect a tune may have contributed to.

The cost of the time to scan every car is NOT reimbursed to the dealership so unless it is going in for a warranty repair that seems an obvious tune caused failure not much to worry about.
Good to know! So a simple Diablo tune to deactivate AFM is not something to stress about?

A Camaro lover from day one- 1996 3.8 V6 Camaro, to 1996 5.7 LT1 Camaro Z28, to the sold 2002 5.7 LS1 Camaro SS, and NOW, a [I]6.2 L99 VR 2SS/RS: XS Power stainless full exhaust, Airaid CAI, BMR drop springs and sways, custom tune by Cal Speed- 411rwhp
Old 01-04-2011, 07:14 AM   #5
IndeedSS1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revo1 View Post
Good to know! So a simple Diablo tune to deactivate AFM is not something to stress about?
Yes it is, as I understand it. You have to flash to deactivate AFM and flash to set back to stock. That is 2 additional flashes beyond what GM has provided. When looking to see if the flash counters are mismatched, they do not care what the flash changed or didn't change. Example - you could download your stock tune and flash that stock tune to your ECM. Nothing has actually changed or been edited. However you now have an unauthorized flash. GM flashes=0 your ECM=1. What they are looking for is GM record of flashes=your ECM flashes.

I know this sucks. I can't tell you how many times I made changes and flashed my Impala SS, to make is better and was looking forward to doing the same with the Camaro. However, my SCT will be used for datalogging and checking/clearing codes, until I can afford to take on car payments and a major powertrain or drivetrain failure. For me the warranty is like insurance.

And to someones point. If you take your car in for the HVAC whining, it is HIGHLY unlikely they are going to check your flash counter.

She is only memory now.
IndeedSS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 09:56 AM   #6
Revo1
Don't Like it? Suggit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndeedSS1 View Post
Yes it is, as I understand it. You have to flash to deactivate AFM and flash to set back to stock. That is 2 additional flashes beyond what GM has provided. When looking to see if the flash counters are mismatched, they do not care what the flash changed or didn't change. Example - you could download your stock tune and flash that stock tune to your ECM. Nothing has actually changed or been edited. However you now have an unauthorized flash. GM flashes=0 your ECM=1. What they are looking for is GM record of flashes=your ECM flashes.

I know this sucks. I can't tell you how many times I made changes and flashed my Impala SS, to make is better and was looking forward to doing the same with the Camaro. However, my SCT will be used for datalogging and checking/clearing codes, until I can afford to take on car payments and a major powertrain or drivetrain failure. For me the warranty is like insurance.

And to someones point. If you take your car in for the HVAC whining, it is HIGHLY unlikely they are going to check your flash counter.
AH.... Damn LOL :(
Well that seems to be a last word on the topic alright, thanks Indeed! I've been trying o get them to hear the tapping that happens sometimes on startup, so I better hold off on that tune :/

Old 01-04-2011, 11:16 AM   #7
IndeedSS1

Quote:
AH.... Damn LOL :(
Well that seems to be a last word on the topic alright, thanks Indeed! I've been trying o get them to hear the tapping that happens sometimes on startup, so I better hold off on that tune :/
Yeah, I would definitely wait until after. You don't want to be the first to post, that you were screwed by the flash counter. I know my luck and why I just can't bring myself to take that step, despite already having a SCT from Jannetty. The temptation haunts me, but for now I just can't do it.

She is only memory now.
Old 01-04-2011, 12:15 PM   #8
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Drives: '16 Camaro 2SS, '20 Equinox Redline
I've been tempted since I bought the car to get a tune but my wife would divorce me if I had an output shaft go and get refused warranty because of the flash counter! But I'm still very tempted and may just give in! idk! Ted Jannetty keeps saying "you don't what your missing" and "your missing out on a lot of fun without a tune" ! Damn....decisions, decisions! :seesaw:
ssmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 01:23 PM   #9
IndeedSS1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmike View Post
I've been tempted since I bought the car to get a tune but my wife would divorce me if I had an output shaft go and get refused warranty because of the flash counter! But I'm still very tempted and may just give in! idk! Ted Jannetty keeps saying "you don't what your missing" and "your missing out on a lot of fun without a tune" ! Damn....decisions, decisions! :seesaw:
He told me that too. If I had the L99, I believe it would be harder to hold out. In my mind the LS3 makes it less of a necessity.

She is only memory now.
Old 01-04-2011, 02:17 PM   #10
Revo1
Don't Like it? Suggit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndeedSS1 View Post
He told me that too. If I had the L99, I believe it would be harder to hold out. In my mind the LS3 makes it less of a necessity.
This. Getting an X-pipe and resonator+muffler delete today, so it's going to get even harder to hold off.......

Old 01-04-2011, 02:25 PM   #11
y2k king

Drives: 2011 ss camaro
Quote:
This. Getting an X-pipe and resonator+muffler delete today, so it's going to get even harder to hold off.......
i held off as long as i possibly could, but gave in to that siren's call of performance.

and ya know, it was worth it.
Old 01-04-2011, 02:31 PM   #12
blackknight
Camaro Lover

Drives: 2014 GMC Sierra 5.3L
I took my Camaro in to my dealership and its being repaired for the Lifter tick recall TSB. i had a Diablo on it, but i took it off before i brought it in.

They haven't said anything about it tho.
Old 01-04-2011, 02:34 PM   #13
IndeedSS1

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackknight View Post
I took my Camaro in to my dealership and its being repaired for the Lifter tick recall TSB. i had a Diablo on it, but i took it off before i brought it in.

They haven't said anything about it tho.
Since there is a TSB, I doubt they will take the time to look.

She is only memory now.
Old 01-04-2011, 02:38 PM   #14
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
If it's a known issue then I'm guessing you'll be fine.

Really you are banking on the fact that there won't be a Major engine problem that can be connected to a tune.

Otherwise you are probably not gonna have any problems with a hand held tuner.

If you are concerned at all, I'd wait to get all the warranty work done then do the tune.
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote