Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 01-04-2011, 06:33 PM   #1
OHIOSS
Russ

Drives: Yukon Denali, Charger, CamaroSS
Send a message via AIM to OHIOSS
Livernois CAI/Tune Package, is it worth it?

I contacted Livernois Motorsports to get info on a tune for my
2010 SS/RS/M6. I already have a G5CR CAI but Livernois said they would have to install their own CAI and I could sell mine, no problem with that. They estimated the package would give me a 30HP increase. Does anyone have a definitive answer if an engine tune would have any effect on the GM warranty?

Has anyone had this tune done @ Livernois? Any comments good or bad? Is this a reasonable price?

2010 Camaro L99/LS3 CAI/Tune Package

Cold Air Intake
Professional Installation
Livernois Motorsports Dyno Tune

$749.00

Thanks, Russ
OHIOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 07:06 PM   #2
csjcsj

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS 6spd
Sounds about right on! 3 to 350 for the CAI (not sure what theirs cost but thats the going avg rate for most), 350 for the tune (that will void the warranty) 50$ for the 20 min to install the CAI...
Old 01-04-2011, 08:45 PM   #3
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
livernois is a very well respected place with some of the best tuners around. take a visit to there shop and you will know what i mean.i would recommend you getting this.
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 09:13 PM   #4
csjcsj

My thing is you don't really need a tune with the CAI! Like other threads if you want your warranty shot for a CAI go for it! Wait to tune when you get headers, cam S/C or what have you! But like I said its what you want! These motors stock can benefit some with a tune alone!
Old 01-04-2011, 09:43 PM   #5
OHIOSS
Russ

I sent an email to the Service Manager at the dealer I ordered the car from. Will he be able to tell me for sure if a tune or CAI will void the warranty? If not, who for sure can tell me?

I didn't know the CAI would void anything with the warranty. The only reason I am questioning the warranty issue is a guy I work with bought a Corvette Z06 and had a tune and CAI installed at a local speed shop. He was told by the dealer he bought the car from (not the same dealer I bought my Camaro from) said the warranty is not voided for the work he had done.

I would think the warranty info would be the same for a Camaro as it is for a Corvette, right?

If it's going to void my warranty I think I will wait. I only have 7000 miles on the car so I've got some time before the warranty expires.

Russ
Old 01-04-2011, 09:48 PM   #6
csjcsj

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122303

Check this thread out!!!!
Old 01-04-2011, 10:12 PM   #7
MarylandSpeed
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 ZL1 & 2010 2SS/RS
This again? Has anyone here ever had their warranty voided because they have a tune? I have never seen a post here, and I know I sell a lot of tuners, and parts that would require a tune. I mean I would imagine there is someone, somewhere that it will happen to one day..but my thought is that there are way greater risk of something much worse happening to the car in the course of being driven every day. Kinda like how people are afraid to fly on airplanes, but it is actually safer than driving in a car. In most cases, a tune makes the engine run more efficiant and get better gas milage. I personally have several LSX cars, many heavily modded with tunes..and never have had warranty work questioned. That being said, I have never had a drivetrain failure either. I think with these cars, the hood is more likely to fly off then the drivetrain break..even with bolt on mods.

To me, it makes more sense to mod when the car has a warranty, and there is a chance they can fix it, then to wait 5 years and try and mod a car with no warranty and tens of thousands of miles.

That being said..It is you $40K..so guess I understand a caution point of view.
MarylandSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 09:04 AM   #8
SSN8R
Addicted to G's

Drives: 2011 IBM 2SSRS / 2002 Camaro SS NBM
My salesman/dealer took my car to Livernois BEFORE I took delivery of it. I had headers, catback, CAI and tune. I LOVE the mods. Great setup, professionally done.

I too wonder how many have ACTUALLY BEEN DENIED.

There are certainly a bunch of people that will tell you your warranty will be voided but I've NEVER actually seen it. Seems like more of an envy thing to me.

Plus you could always go back to Livernois before you take the car in for a drivetrain failure and have the tune reverted back to factory.

FWIW,

SSN8R
SSN8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 10:03 AM   #9
IndeedSS1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarylandSpeed View Post
This again? Has anyone here ever had their warranty voided because they have a tune? I have never seen a post here, and I know I sell a lot of tuners, and parts that would require a tune. I mean I would imagine there is someone, somewhere that it will happen to one day..but my thought is that there are way greater risk of something much worse happening to the car in the course of being driven every day. Kinda like how people are afraid to fly on airplanes, but it is actually safer than driving in a car. In most cases, a tune makes the engine run more efficiant and get better gas milage. I personally have several LSX cars, many heavily modded with tunes..and never have had warranty work questioned. That being said, I have never had a drivetrain failure either. I think with these cars, the hood is more likely to fly off then the drivetrain break..even with bolt on mods.

To me, it makes more sense to mod when the car has a warranty, and there is a chance they can fix it, then to wait 5 years and try and mod a car with no warranty and tens of thousands of miles.

That being said..It is you $40K..so guess I understand a caution point of view.

You care to step up and say that if I get a tune, for some reason have a major powertrain/drivetrain issue that GM refuses to warranty because of a tune or more importantly the flash counter doesn't match, that you will foot the parts and labor? You are getting a good deal here, because my car is never raced, strickly my daily driver, and I take care of my stuff.

She is only memory now.
IndeedSS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 10:53 AM   #10
KEEP RT
Wonderfully Awful Idea

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndeedSS1 View Post
You care to step up and say that if I get a tune, for some reason have a major powertrain/drivetrain issue that GM refuses to warranty because of a tune or more importantly the flash counter doesn't match, that you will foot the parts and labor? You are getting a good deal here, because my car is never raced, strickly my daily driver, and I take care of my stuff.
They will never tack you up on that. I'm sure you know that as I've read many of your posts and respect your thoughts. You make a very important point and if they truly felt strongly about their thoughts of non-void of warranty or damage caused by tunes than they should automatically offer to cover any thing that the voided warranty wont. But they wont do that.
Old 01-05-2011, 11:15 AM   #11
Dr Jkel
and MR. HYDE

Drives: 2010 2SS RJT/BLK 6Spd Man
Here is the thing you must think of when you decide on ANY mod. If you are like most it will not stop at a CAI and tune, there will be more.

What you should do, IMHO, is decide what you want from your car. If you are looking for a type of sound, then go in that direction. If you want added power then go in that direction.

Just remember that no matter what you decide that every decision has consequences.

If you sit down and decide I want added power, good drivability, dependability etc... then do some research, find a shop you are comfortable with and do it.

If all you are after is a sound you can achieve that with an axle back exhaust.

For me, I wanted the muscle car lope, the added power was a bonus. To maximize the cam I added headers, high flow cats, cai and of ocurse a tune to make it run.

Later I added suspension upgrades and I am now adding electric cut outs.

Personally I do not regret my decision. Vengeance Racing in Georgia did mine. Great folks, great price, great work. JMHO
Dr Jkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 04:55 PM   #12
OHIOSS
Russ

Sorry if this topic has been beat to death. My main question was if the CAI/tune from Livernois was a good deal and if anyone on the forum has had it done.

I don't spend a lot of time on the forum so I don't see every single topic that has been brought up. I did do a search on Livernois and read everything I could find, but no mention of the CAI/tune service.

Back on the warranty topic, I have purchased a lot of GM vehicles from the same dealer. My Camaro only has 7K miles and I have had it since June 2009. I don't beat the car by racing it or doing anything else to "break" the car. I would be VERY pissed off if something happens to the car and GM would not cover it under warranty. If they can void the warranty by checking the computer to see of the flash has been modified, they can certainly check the computer to see how the car was driven and/or if it has regularly been driven hard.

Don't you think?

Russ
Old 01-05-2011, 04:59 PM   #13
OHIOSS
Russ

Dr. Jkel- I agree with what you said and I already have exhaust cutout's because I like the sound of a big HP V8 but not all the time. That's the great thing about the cutout's, you can open them as much as you want, or close them to get the factory sound.

The reason for the tune is I want to get as much out of the car that I can but I don't want to spend several thousand bucks right now. I'm putting some money aside every chance I get so I can buy a supercharger, but that will be after the GM warranty expires for sure.

Russ
Old 01-05-2011, 05:02 PM   #14
JoeP@TeamBeckyD

Drives: SS,PaceCar,ZL1,1LE,C7Z51,Z06,17-ZL1
I sent my L99 pace car to Livernois for CAI and tune and absolutely love it. It's a completely different car and so much more fun to drive. In the big world of mods, this is a pretty cheap upgrade compared to the other possibilities. Livernois is the best...... And when you are in the neighborhood, stop by, I'm on the way!!
JoeP@TeamBeckyD is offline   Reply With Quote