Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 01-20-2011, 01:14 PM   #1
jagan323
I have no life

Drives: 06' Subaru STI, ex-Camaro V6 LLT
Do I need the TPMS?

Hi guys,

I'm planning on buying some new wheels. Complete with it's own set of tires. The TPMS are not cheap, so I'm considering not buying them if I don't have to.

My question is, would this cause any problems for the Camaro? I check my tire pressure with a handy pressure sensor anyway. So if it doesn't mess up the Camaros sensors or causes any warning lights. I'll be good to go.

I'm keeping my stock rims for winter, that's why im not transfering the sensors over.

Anyway, any help on this matter will be appreciated.
Thanks
Old 01-20-2011, 01:15 PM   #2
Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Drives: under contruction
The light will come on in the dash every time you start your car. Also the small light will stay on all the time. If that doesn't bother you, it won't cause any harm.

I bought a set of OEM sensors when I got new wheels. If you do decide to get sensor, don't buy cheap after market sensors. Many of those don't work in the Camaro... I found that out the hard way.
Darth_Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 01:16 PM   #3
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
You will get continuous warnings, I don't think it sets the SES or anything though. If you use OnStar Diagnostics this will reflect it as well. If you're not gonna use your old wheels all the time why not transfer them over?
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD LT 6.0 - Tow Vehicle
1991 Alfa Romeo 164S - Project Car
1994 Volkswagen Golf - Race Car

"Like" my race team on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/farfrumwinnin
Rogue Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 01:29 PM   #4
Awesome_SS
Jeff

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
I believe the car is designed to slow itself down in the event of a blowout or extremely low air pressure. I would contact your service manager at the GM dealer. You may be without a good safety feature if you do. So, just check.

Awesome_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 01:38 PM   #5
Darth_Emma

My TPMS are not paired with my car right now (I have wheels on for winter) and it in no way affects how it drives. PQ is driving with no sensors at all and it doesn't affect how it drives. You just get the warning lights.
Old 01-20-2011, 06:37 PM   #6
jagan323
I have no life

Drives: 06' Subaru STI, ex-Camaro V6 LLT
Okay thanks for the answers fellas. I have the same kinda reasoning as Darth Emma... I don't want to transfer the sensors everytime i swap summer and winter wheel sets. =p I will see how much the OEM sensors cost. The aftermarket ones that would be shipped with the wheel are like 299 a set. Hopefully OEM are the same, or cheaper o_o
Old 01-21-2011, 07:08 AM   #7
Nine Ball

Drives: 1969 & 2016 Camaro SS
OEM sensors are usually in the $35-40 each range. You do not need them for your car, they affect nothing in terms of drivability. Just the low tire warning each time you start the car. No biggie. The main reason TPMS sensors were invented was to monitor the run-flat type tires. With those tires, you cannot tell when they are flat. With our conventional tires, it is easy to spot a flat tire.
Old 01-21-2011, 09:09 AM   #8
mkeeler

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS2 RS Bumblebee
I tried it and the warnings were really annoying. I have them installed now, they are only 30 bucks
Rally Yellow, Black Stripes and Ground Effects, 20" Polished Aluminum Rims, MGW Shifter, Custom Engine Cover, K&N CAI Series 69 Typhoon, Borla Exhaust, Tinted Windows, Heritage Grille, Subwoofer system, Trunk Mat, Trunk Organizer, UltraShield Clear Vinyl, Camaro SS license Plate Covers, "BY BY" Personalized Plates.
mkeeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 10:10 AM   #9
Darth_Emma

I paid about $200 with tax for OEM sensors. I got them from the dealer and they ordered them based on my VIN. You can probably get them cheaper from GM parts direct.

I was actually happy to get them because they fixed the issues I'd been having with some after-market sensors.
Old 01-21-2011, 10:48 AM   #10
JCO2185
RIDING ON AIR

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS Summit White
i dont think you NEED them. I bought a set of winter wheels and tires from Tirerack without the sensors. The warning comes up everytime i get in the car, but i just turn it off. Not a big deal if you can take the little indicator light staying on the cluster

--John--2010 Camaro 2LT/RS, Summit White
Air Ride Suspension, BBK Longtube Headers, Hi-Flo cats, Doug Thorley catback exhaust, Elite Catch-Can, Airraid CAI, Trifecta tune, ZL1 front end with Phantom grille, ZL1 side skirts, MRR228 graphite wheels
JCO2185 is offline   Reply With Quote