Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 01-28-2011, 09:10 PM   #1
Prochargedchevyi

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
5th Gen DIY Turbo Build

Hey Guys,

I started my turbo build today and wanted to share a few pictures. This is the first of many updates I'll be doing, so make sure to check back if you're interested in this type of project.

After some planning, I've decided to do a single rear mounted turbo - mainly because I haven't seen one on a 5th Gen and I'm attempting something a little different. I built a similar kit for a cammed LS2 GTO and it ran a 10.1 at sealevel, so I'm hoping for decent results at this altitude (6000ft).

I'll be using a Turbonetics BB T76 .81 A/R using 2.5 pipe intermediary pipe. If I did my math correctly, the 42psi of back pressure the LS3 creates and the 2to1 merge into a 2.5", I should see full boost around 3100rpm - which I can totally live with.

Since I didn't want to completely fabricate new intermediary pipes, I searched around for a stock H-Pipe setup. My new best friend Larry (2010 SS RS) graciously donated his stocker to me so I could do this build. Thanks again Larry!

So this is what I started out with. Just a plain Jane exhaust system off of a 2010 SS.

The first step is to brace the two pipes together. There's A LOT of cutting involved and the most important thing to do is keep the pipes perfectly separated so that everything will line up with the manifolds once it's ready to be installed.

I just used to some extra 1/4" flat stock I had laying around. Nothing fancy.

Next came the cutting. I made the cut approximately 9" from the first 90* bend and continued down through the intermediary plate (H-Pipe). The trick is to remove enough pipe so that the merge will connect where the old H-Pipe was. We'll get to the actual fabrication of the merge further down the thread.

After the initial cut was made, I had to remove the stock H-Pipe section. It was faster to make a new section and notch it for a merge than using the existing H-Pipe hole. So the first step was to remove the old section.

Remember the other side of the exhaust that I removed? Well I reused some of the straight pipe to make my new section (I'm big into recycling scrap).

Last edited by Prochargedchevyi; 01-30-2011 at 09:36 AM.
Prochargedchevyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 09:17 PM   #2
Prochargedchevyi

Before I cut into my main exhaust, I made sure to mark the pipe with a Sharpie so I can make sure everything lines up before I weld it.

Then I made the "real" cut.

Before I started to tack weld the pieces in place, I made sure to level the tubing faces to ensure that the pipes sat flush.

Then I started to tack

Before making the final welds, I made sure the piping was lined up and level.

Last edited by Prochargedchevyi; 01-28-2011 at 09:31 PM.
Prochargedchevyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 09:24 PM   #3
Prochargedchevyi

Next came creating the merge pipe. I had some extra 2.5" exhaust bends from my old Corvette, so I cleaned them up and began cutting.

I forgot to take a picture of the hole cutting process, but basically I used a 2 1/8" bi-metal hole saw and then a die-grinder to enlarge the hole. The picture below shows the merge pipe "mouth" tack welded in.

After measuring the distance between the two pipes, I used some extra scrap from the other side of the exhaust and joined the two pipes together.

After doing the final welds, I cut off the bracing and the hardest part of the build was done.

Next week I'll be posting the positioning of the T4 flange, removing the resonator and cutting/fitting the Wastgate pipe.

Stay tuned!

Vince
Old 01-28-2011, 09:32 PM   #4
Silver2SSRS6spd
Prefer to be blown!

Drives: 2010 Silver/Black 2SS/RS Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prochargedchevyi View Post
Hey Guys,
I

After some planning, I've decided to do a single rear mounted turbo - mainly because I haven't seen one on a 5th Gen and I'm attempting something a little different.
You want to see a wild rear mounted turbo, check the one out at the link below.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38022
Old 01-28-2011, 09:35 PM   #5
Prochargedchevyi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver2SSRS6spd View Post
You want to see a wild rear mounted turbo, check the one out at the link below.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38022

Very nice, but it's not a SINGLE rear mounted turbo...

Unless I'm missing something.
Old 01-28-2011, 09:47 PM   #6
Silver2SSRS6spd
Prefer to be blown!

Quote:
Very nice, but it's not a SINGLE rear mounted turbo...

Unless I'm missing something.
You are not missing anything, just wasn't sure if you saw the dual setup. Good luck with your build, I'm subscribed!
Old 01-28-2011, 09:52 PM   #7
Prochargedchevyi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver2SSRS6spd View Post
You are not missing anything, just wasn't sure if you saw the dual setup. Good luck with your build, I'm subscribed!

Old 01-30-2011, 09:35 AM   #8
Prochargedchevyi

So after some interesting feedback I received on another board, I'm going to redo my merge pipe. Apparently I used too many transitional bends that would could turbulance and inhibit the flow; so I'm going to rebrace the pipes and do something like this. Don't mind my awesome MS Paint skills....lol

Old 01-30-2011, 10:22 AM   #9
Z_Rocks

Drives: everyone crazy...
Quote:
"This house is protected by the good Lord and a gun. You'll meet both if you show up uninvited."
So, I suppose the "uninvited" will meet the gun FIRST, than soon after, he'll meet the good Lord...
Z_Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 10:40 AM   #10
Prochargedchevyi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z_Rocks View Post
So, I suppose the "uninvited" will meet the gun FIRST, than soon after, he'll meet the good Lord...
Pretty much....I actually named my rifle St. Peter because that's who will greet you before the pearly gates.... My attempt at levity
Old 01-30-2011, 10:44 AM   #11
franknbeans
Whipped

Drives: 2010 CAMARO
looks neat. . . can't wait to see the end product.
Old 01-30-2011, 12:04 PM   #12
Silver2SSRS6spd
Prefer to be blown!

Quote:
Pretty much....I actually named my rifle St. Peter because that's who will greet you before the pearly gates.... My attempt at levity
Old 01-30-2011, 12:05 PM   #13
Boost6924

Drives: 2SS/RS
Very interesting. Something different. Looking forward seeing the end result.
Boost6924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 12:05 PM   #14
Silver2SSRS6spd
Prefer to be blown!