Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 02-20-2011, 09:33 PM   #1
redZ28

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Conv.
retrofit success: GM mirror with backup camera LCD and Onstar

I recently purchased a GM mirror with the LCD display (and Onstar) off of eBay, and installed it last night. The mirror was a take-out of a 2011 Acadia. I am happy to report that all works (both Onstar and the backup display)! I am not terribly impressed with the Boyo license plate camera video quality, but I hope to have it replaced under the Boyo warranty.

I spent ~2 hours installing the camera and running the wires up to the mirror. I had to replace the plug for the mirror, which meant cutting each wire from the stock mirror 10-pin plug and soldering to the new mirror's 16-pin plug, which took another hour. Interestingly, the wire that registers +12v when in reverse is already in the stock 2011 Camaro SS/RS plug.

I had an initial fear that the mirror with LCD display would be too big, but the observed difference when sitting in the car is actually negligible. I was also worried that the LCD display would be too small to help, but I love it! I of course still have to use the outside mirrors for backing, but the camera definitely makes backing much easier. I really believe that having the camera display will prevent what would have been future backing collisions!

The key to success: the eBay seller from which I purchased my mirror is an expert in these mirrors, so he told me how to do the wiring. If you want to go the same route, I would definitely encourage you to buy from him (his eBay ID is copper_z71). He just asked me about my current setup (auto dim, onstar,etc), then told me how to wire the new mirror.

The only warning, be sure to lengthen the wires enough (by not trimming too much of the new mirror's wiring harness) to account for the different plug location on the new mirror. I was lucky to have just enough wire length after soldering. Also, the old plastic pieces that cover the wires behind the stock mirror will not transfer directly, but the upper piece can still be used if you can find a way to effectively attach it.

Attached (hopefully) will be some pictures that compare the stock vs new mirror, pictures of me doing the wiring, and the working final product.
Attached Images

redZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 09:34 PM   #2
blackknight
Camaro Lover

Drives: 2014 GMC Sierra 5.3L
Cool!
Old 02-20-2011, 10:26 PM   #3
Alfieboy
Madman

Drives: 2017 1SS
nice
Alfieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 11:23 PM   #4
LED Crazy
okcamaros.com

Drives: 2016 SS
What's the price tag?
LED Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 11:38 PM   #5
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y

Drives: FAST
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Unique4U View Post
What's the price tag?
They are on ebay for about $250. If I hadn't already spent a small fortune on a car I don't even have yet I would be all over this.
SUX2BU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 11:46 PM   #6
Edscapade
Edscapade

Drives: 2011 SS Camaro
Nice Job! Looks good - something else to put on my list of things to add.
Edscapade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 06:25 AM   #7
Darth Martel
Darth Martel

Drives: Black 1SS with 20% tinted windows
$250? Now that sounds doable. Saw another price posted of around $850. That's CRAZY!!!! Ofer is working on a plug n play solution to avoid soldering so stay tuned...
Darth Martel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 07:28 AM   #8
Switchin2Chevy

Drives: Currently 2015 Mustang GT manual.
$250 really isn't bad for that set up. Looks pretty good..!
Switchin2Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 07:36 AM   #9
bee sting

Drives: 1997 30th Ann. Z28 & 2010 2LT RS
Plug and play would be great...keep us posted and nice job Red!
Old 02-21-2011, 07:40 AM   #10
el ess A
Older Than Dirt

Drives: 2010 & 2013 Camaros
Nice mod!

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26108&dateline=142898  4774
el ess A is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 08:01 AM   #11
redZ28

I forgot to mention that the second picture shows the two mirrors on top of each other, to illustrate the size difference.
Old 02-21-2011, 10:21 AM   #12
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Martel View Post
$250? Now that sounds doable. Saw another price posted of around $850. That's CRAZY!!!! Ofer is working on a plug n play solution to avoid soldering so stay tuned...
Yeah, I would jump on that $250. It won't be around for long.
Old 02-21-2011, 10:29 AM   #13
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y

Quote:
Originally Posted by redZ28 View Post
I recently purchased a GM mirror with the LCD display (and Onstar) off of eBay, and installed it last night. The mirror was a take-out of a 2011 Acadia. I am happy to report that all works (both Onstar and the backup display)! I am not terribly impressed with the Boyo license plate camera video quality, but I hope to have it replaced under the Boyo warranty.

I spent ~2 hours installing the camera and running the wires up to the mirror. I had to replace the plug for the mirror, which meant cutting each wire from the stock mirror 10-pin plug and soldering to the new mirror's 16-pin plug, which took another hour. Interestingly, the wire that registers +12v when in reverse is already in the stock 2011 Camaro SS/RS plug.

I had an initial fear that the mirror with LCD display would be too big, but the observed difference when sitting in the car is actually negligible. I was also worried that the LCD display would be too small to help, but I love it! I of course still have to use the outside mirrors for backing, but the camera definitely makes backing much easier. I really believe that having the camera display will prevent what would have been future backing collisions!

The key to success: the eBay seller from which I purchased my mirror is an expert in these mirrors, so he told me how to do the wiring. If you want to go the same route, I would definitely encourage you to buy from him (his eBay ID is copper_z71). He just asked me about my current setup (auto dim, onstar,etc), then told me how to wire the new mirror.

The only warning, be sure to lengthen the wires enough (by not trimming too much of the new mirror's wiring harness) to account for the different plug location on the new mirror. I was lucky to have just enough wire length after soldering. Also, the old plastic pieces that cover the wires behind the stock mirror will not transfer directly, but the upper piece can still be used if you can find a way to effectively attach it.

Attached (hopefully) will be some pictures that compare the stock vs new mirror, pictures of me doing the wiring, and the working final product.
Could you post a pic of where you mounted the camera?
Old 02-21-2011, 10:59 AM   #14
redZ28

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUX2BU View Post
Could you post a pic of where you mounted the camera?
I used the Boyo license plate camera. I like the design- you can't even tell it's a camera. Also, you can rotate the camera to get the angle that works for you. I just need to get the video quality worked out.

I got mine a little cheaper doing a Yahoo! search, but here's one on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Boyo-Install-W.../dp/B003M1M21Y

or here:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-yfCkmh1...yo-VTL375.html