Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-07-2011, 07:25 PM   #1
midlife

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2ss
Chevrolet assorory Exhaust

Performance Exhaust Upgrade Package
Upgrade the look and sound of your Camaro's exhaust system with one of our tuned, emissions-legal bolt-on exhaust kits. They deliver a great performance sound and reduced restriction, which promotes increased power - especially when combined with other performance parts.

V8 (LS3) Exhaust Upgrade Kit, Round Tip - For Use on Vehicles without Ground Effects
$ 950.00

Any thoughts on this system. It is offered by Chevrolet as a factory dealer install item.
Attached Images

midlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 07:27 PM   #2
stangkilr

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1
I have the off-road one and love it
stangkilr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 07:29 PM   #3
cdn2usa

Drives: 2010 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by midlife View Post
Upgrade the look and sound of your Camaro's exhaust system with one of our tuned, emissions-legal bolt-on exhaust kits. They deliver a great performance sound and reduced restriction, which promotes increased power - especially when combined with other performance parts.

V8 (LS3) Exhaust Upgrade Kit, Round Tip - For Use on Vehicles without Ground Effects
$ 950.00

Any thoughts on this system. It is offered by Chevrolet as a factory dealer install item.
Look around, way tooooo much by my standards. I got Borla for half that price and I assure you it will not affect my warranty.

My .02
Hurst Shifter,CAI,Vmax throttle body, Kooks LT Headers, High Flow Cats,Borla Touring Axle Back, ADM Scoop, Washwater relocation,Diablo Predator(c/w Ted's Magic), Custom start defeat switch, painted engine cover, shark fin & bow ties, ABL lighting, Rear Camera.
cdn2usa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 07:59 PM   #4
Xmicro_SS
Thank You GM

Drives: Sky Redline & Camaro 2SS/RS
For under $800 you can have a Full Cat Back SOLO Mach X System delivered to your door. The Solo system is full stainless and is a completely mirrored system, which means equal length and bends in both sides making for even flow. Not to mention some awesome Dual Walled polished 4" tips out the back. Killer sound and much better throttle response. Save a few bucks and get something better.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:05 PM   #5
Boxer4PSI

Drives: 2010 "Bumblebee" Camaro 2SS
Quote:

$ 950.00

I have the LS3 w/o Ground Effects Kit installed and have driven 15k miles with it. The only reason I went with the GMPP one is because I thought I may be moving to CA, and I didn't want to deal with the CARB BS of an aftermarket system (prior to this I almost always used Flowmasters).

The exhaust system is only an "axleback" system that swaps the big muffler blocks out in the rear of the car. It will involve you cutting the stock piping and fitting the GMPP ones up there. Your local Chevy dealer will install this part since it is a GM part (I had mine do it).

Overall, the sound has the same tone (of course noticeably louder tone) as stock at regular driving levels. However, if you punch it, it will sound like a true muscle car as you get closer to the top end. Bottom line though is that you can have a conversation with a passenger with this system, and you can handle the noise of the system while you're out on an extended road trip.
Boxer4PSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 06:26 AM   #6
midlife

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2ss
Thanks

Thanks for all of the responses all very informative. When they say a CAT back exhaust system, does that mean that you are removing the CATS?
The GMPP unit only replaces the muffler box? Leaving the factory GM CATS in place?
Keeping near stock is always a good thing. The GM stamp on the muffler also adds some detail. They are a little pricey for what you get.
midlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 06:29 AM   #7
cdn2usa

Drives: 2010 2SS
Quote:
Thanks for all of the responses all very informative. When they say a CAT back exhaust system, does that mean that you are removing the CATS?
The GMPP unit only replaces the muffler box? Leaving the factory GM CATS in place?
Keeping near stock is always a good thing. The GM stamp on the muffler also adds some detail. They are a little pricey for what you get.
Cat Back = From the discharge end of the catalytic converter to the end of the exhaust tips.
Hurst Shifter,CAI,Vmax throttle body, Kooks LT Headers, High Flow Cats,Borla Touring Axle Back, ADM Scoop, Washwater relocation,Diablo Predator(c/w Ted's Magic), Custom start defeat switch, painted engine cover, shark fin & bow ties, ABL lighting, Rear Camera.
cdn2usa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 07:07 AM   #8
newmoon

Drives: 2019 GT350
I got the non off road version of this installed as part of their $1,500.00 of free accessories upgrade promotion. I love the sound of it, they had another Camaro with the off-road version installed and it was a bit loud for me. I'm not sure if it adds any hp and I do think it's overpriced but to me it was funny money. I've since added the high flow cats and the sound is perfect on the car for me.
2012 SRT Challenger 392 auto 12:40s 112 stock
2012 Ford Mustang 5.0. Brembo, 3:73s
2010 SS, LS3, Cammed, LTs, 12:20s
2004 Redfire Cobra, Pullied & Tuned
1986 GT, Ed Curtis 347ci, 11:20s motor. 10:30s 100-hp shot
newmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 09:47 PM   #9
Boxer4PSI

Drives: 2010 "Bumblebee" Camaro 2SS
Quote:
As was already mentioned, "Catback" means the piping leaving the catalytic converter all parts going from there to the rear of the car is replaced. The catalytic converter however is NOT replaced.

The GMPP only replaces the two muffler boxes/bricks that you can see from the back of the car (if memory serves, I think the instructions state that you cut 12-14 inches in front of the muffler, but triple check both the instructions and your measurements before you cut). All existing resonators and cats STAY on the car.

The GMPP muffler comes with the "GM Performance Parts" stamp on the muffler housing, in addition to "Chevy Bowties" on the exhaust tips, which are already attached to the mufflers. In practice though, you never see the bowties because the curve of the bumper cover covers it up.
Boxer4PSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 10:01 PM   #10
nancygrl
雪の玉

Drives: '22 Z71 RST Silverado
Borla make the GMPP exhaust options. However; they're still too restrictive and quiet. I like the quiet but not the restictive part. I just installed the Borla Touring kit, it's much nicer than the GMPP and a bunch less expensive.
nancygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 10:17 PM   #11
camaromax2k10

Drives: 2010 1SS ABM
Check out Solo Performance. they have cat back and axle back systems available, that have J pipes. these are suposed to eliminate the drone that many people complain about, when they modify thier exhaust.
camaromax2k10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 09:22 AM   #12
Gene Culley
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 SS
Smile

I installed the GMPP Touring (Track Pack) exhaust on Thursday and am thinking of doing a GP on these exhausts. Let me know if you're interested and here is my thread with a couple of short videos on the sound.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2982138
Gene Culley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 05:26 PM   #13
St33lsinger
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2010 1 RS/SS
We love ours!!

Had: 69' RS, 78' Z28, 98' SS Have: 2010 1RS/SS
St33lsinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 09:48 AM   #14
chevyb

Drives: 2010 red SS
Solo Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaromax2k10 View Post
Check out Solo Performance. they have cat back and axle back systems available, that have J pipes. these are suposed to eliminate the drone that many people complain about, when they modify thier exhaust.
I have this SOLO axle back with J-pipes and it is a very nice sound and NO DRONE . Just what I wanted and installed it myself.
SS 6M Very satisfied.
chevyb is offline   Reply With Quote