Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 03-09-2011, 04:13 PM   #29
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
So you reallllly think a car weighing 500 pounds more with a 60 HP deficit with a solid rear axle can beat a Z06 around any track?

I'm skeptical.
I'm holding my breathe until we see what it runs at another track, or a longer track. Let's see what happens around the 'Ring... I'm not questioning what it runs, but if it only runs faster at one track - that's a little misleading... I guess I have to read the reviews when they're available, because something isn't adding up...

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 04:18 PM   #30
CoolestCamaro873
The Road's A Bad Joke...

Drives: '12 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
I'm holding my breathe until we see what it runs at another track, or a longer track. Let's see what happens around the 'Ring... I'm not questioning what it runs, but if it only runs faster at one track - that's a little misleading... I guess I have to read the reviews when they're available, because something isn't adding up...
+1
Old 03-09-2011, 04:32 PM   #31
thePill
Account Suspended

Drives: '11 Mustang GT Premium
You can watch the Boss 302 race every month in Grand Am, they will eventually hit every track this year. Multimatic did help tune this car from the Multimatic car from last year... Kind of like On The Job Training... I think the Boss could take the GTR on the Streets of Willow because it is a slower track and limits top speed... I guess the Boss Laguna Seca is set to be at least a second faster than the Boss 302.

If the car performs at Laguna, I expect it to do just as good if not better on other US courses... The gap between the GT500 and Z06C was about 6 seconds but on Willow it was about 4 seconds. Laguna is a faster track as far as MPH go, Willow is much tighter where the Z06 lost 13mph average and the GT500 loses about 10mph. Thats where the time is made up... The GTR is faster than the Z06C at Willow but 3 seconds slower at LS...
thePill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 04:43 PM   #32
thePill
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
The Boss will not do this good on a longer track where long straights and top speed is paramount, like Daytona...

Edit: I doesn't have to add up, in road racing there are far too many variables to calculate... The GTR beat the Z06 at Willow and it outweighed it by almost 800lbs... the Mustang should not be compared to a Corvette... It was made to compete with the M3 and it wins... by alot...

Last edited by thePill; 03-09-2011 at 04:58 PM.
Old 03-09-2011, 04:58 PM   #33
garagelogic
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Shelby GT500
Does anybody truly think Chevy is going to "step up their game" and create a Camaro of any variety that out-performs the Z06 Corvette? Not anytime soon.

Now, when the next generation Corvette comes out, and if it has even better performance than the C6 versions produced today (which one would expect), then the game might change.
garagelogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 05:08 PM   #34
thePill
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by garagelogic View Post
Does anybody truly think Chevy is going to "step up their game" and create a Camaro of any variety that out-performs the Z06 Corvette? Not anytime soon.

Now, when the next generation Corvette comes out, and if it has even better performance than the C6 versions produced today (which one would expect), then the game might change.
Good point...
Old 03-09-2011, 05:11 PM   #35
GrnMchin
Not easy being Green

Drives: 67 Nova SS
Quote:
So you reallllly think a car weighing 500 pounds more with a 60 HP deficit with a solid rear axle can beat a Z06 around any track?

I'm skeptical.
Well the numbers said it does and its an 06 ZO6 not current model. You work for GM and I would expect you to say something to that effect. Up the game or fall behind or did they lie, because then you could use that same argument over the number the ZO6 produced or even the ZL1 when they come out. The numbers don't lie it's a impressive car and Ford has seemed to have done their home work. 4 out of 5 cars I own are GM and never have owned a Ford, but will acknowledge the fact the Boss is a very impressive car.

Last edited by GrnMchin; 03-09-2011 at 05:59 PM.
GrnMchin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 05:11 PM   #36
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:

I'm skeptical.
Add me to the club. The Boss is impressive.....but it's not that impressive. I can't quite comprehend the hype...

It's a Mustang with a modest power bump, retuned suspension, and manual-adjustable shocks......Woooooooooo...... Ford has done to the Mustang what people around here have been doing to their Camaros since it came out....Naturally, I'm biased to a factory package, and for that I give them credit, but

IMVHO....the Boss is as much a product of Ford's excellently persuasive PR and marketing people as it is a product of their performance division.

I've said it before and haven't wavered; Nurburgring times are, at best, purely entertainment because there is no governing body that oversees the runs. However -- it is one of a very few road courses that measure a cars entire potential with a myriad of long straights, moderate sweepers, and super-tight turns....Will most of us ever be able to race there? No....but I'd be curious to see that time...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thePill View Post
[The Mustang] was made to compete with the M3 and it wins... by alot...
No it wasn't.
Old 03-09-2011, 05:19 PM   #37
GrnMchin
Not easy being Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by garagelogic View Post

No never. Unless they repeat 84 and the GN. There are more then a few that will look to the Mustang over the Vette for price and cost of ownership and will settle for a car that comes very close to the Vette with a better overall cost, if GM doesn't fill the gap.

Last edited by GrnMchin; 03-09-2011 at 05:36 PM.
GrnMchin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 05:24 PM   #38
garagelogic
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
No it wasn't.
Actually, that was the stated objective by Ford with the Boss 302.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Motor Company
For us, that meant a production Mustang that could top one of the world’s best – the 2010 BMW M3 – in lap times at Laguna Seca
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor Trend
But today Ford’s not trying to beat the Camaro at the track in formal competition; instead they’ve targeted the Germans, specifically the 2010 BMW M3.
Old 03-09-2011, 05:26 PM   #39
thePill
Account Suspended

This specific Boss 302 was made to compete with the M3, It competes with the M3 in Grand Am and it was specifically built to embarrass BMW for less money... and it did... I don't care what happen to the Z06's track record, the Z06 was just in the way along with the GTR... Ford said what they were going to do and who they were going for... anyone that feels beat was not intentional, it was merely colladeral damage.

The Boss has the same live axle it uses in Grand Am, has hand adjustable shocks, has better rubber and a broader power curve... This is not a Z06 competitor, the Z06's current record is 1:37.40 with the Carbon package, thats 2.8 seconds ahead of the Boss... Everyone calm down...

Or... We can burn our GM shareholder certificates in the living room next to the window curtains!!!
Old 03-09-2011, 05:32 PM   #40
GrnMchin
Not easy being Green

Quote:
This specific Boss 302 was made to compete with the M3, It competes with the M3 in Grand Am and it was specifically built to embarrass BMW for less money... and it did... I don't care what happen to the Z06's track record, the Z06 was just in the way along with the GTR... Ford said what they were going to do and who they were going for... anyone that feels beat was not intentional, it was merely colladeral damage.

The Boss has the same live axle it uses in Grand Am, has hand adjustable shocks, has better rubber and a broader power curve... This is not a Z06 competitor, the Z06's current record is 1:37.40 with the Carbon package, thats 2.8 seconds ahead of the Boss... Everyone calm down...
I'm more then clam. I find it funny that people argue about the numbers give the stang some credit its a great car and that comes from someone who is almost a GM fan-boy.
Old 03-09-2011, 05:32 PM   #41
garagelogic
Account Suspended

Quote:

Or... We can burn our GM shareholder certificates in the living room next to the window curtains!!!

Nice point, too. Most people only look at the peak HP/TQ numbers when it's the area under the curve that matters. The Boss does very well in this area with it's puny 5.0L displacement.
Old 03-09-2011, 05:37 PM   #42
tjbusa
Serious Sleeper

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS M6
If I were to invest the kind money a new boss will cost, and put the difference into my SS Camaro, I'd have a full blown race car.

Fact of Life:

After Monday and Tuesday
even the calendar reads...
W T F
tjbusa is offline   Reply With Quote