Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Closed Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 08:16 PM   #1
Big Brunsy

Drives: 2010 supercharged LS3
so...Got my car towed today

Was driving down the road on my way back from my buddies wedding, when I look in my mirror and see a State Patrolman behind me with his lights on. I proceed to pull off of the road, put my windows down and wait for him with my hands on the steering wheel. He comes up to my window to tell me he pulled me over for speeding and tinted windows, the whole time staring at my pistol which was laying where most people have their 4pk guage cluster (long drive, didn't want to keep it in my holster). He asked me if I had a CCW which I responded yes and then had my gf step out of the car and told me to keep my hands on the wheel. He took my gun out of the car and put it in his pocket, which I didn't think was a big deal. I went back to his car, and he asked me if there were any other weapons or drugs in the car, to which I said no. I got 2 tickets for tinted windows (I figured that was coming, and didn't upset me because I knew the law and chose not to obey it) and a warning for 62 in a 55. What I never saw coming was when asked me if I wanted him to tow my car. I said not especially because I had to get home so I could get to work tonight. I said i'd go to wal-mart, buy a razor and take it off right now. He said he didn't care what i did, he was having my car towed because it's an "unsafe vehicle". He called dispatch and had them send a tow truck.

He then got out of his patrol car, and without ever saying a word to me about it, began to search my car. I'm not 100% sure but don't they either have to have your permission or a Warrant? After searching my car he took my pistol, completely broke it down, took all of the rounds out of the clip, and threw it all in my suitcase. I'm not quite sure why he did that when I was perfectly leagal to have the firearm? No other officer has ever done that before.

So all in all I got 2 tint tickets at 127.50 ea and a towing bill for 150.80. The tow truck driver said the same cop did the same thing to their tow truck a couple weeks earlier because it had tinted windows. Going to call the post commander and inquire why my car was searched, why my car was towed, and why my firearm was broken down and stuffed in my luggage. Who knows, maybe I'll get them to pay for my towing bill.

To top of my wonderful day, I was late for work because of the 2 hour ordeal.

I'm never going to another wedding as long as I live.
Old 05-01-2011, 08:23 PM   #2
LoneStar

Drives: 2011 IOM Camaro
***Note to self: Stay out of Iowa.***
Old 05-01-2011, 08:24 PM   #3
20Camaro11

Drives: SS
wow...that sucks. It is never good to have a bad day made worse.
Old 05-01-2011, 08:32 PM   #4
Nexus6
More human than human

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS
Whenever I'm asked to get out of the car by a police officer ,I take my keys with me and lock the doors.That way he has to get permission to search my vehicle,and the answer is always no.

1100 - 10/22/2008
3000 - 05/27/2009
3300 - 06/06/2009
3800 - 06/29/2009
4B00 - 06/29/2009

Warehouse 13 survivor

Blood stains,speed kills,fast cars,cheap thrills,rich women,fine wine,i lost my sense i lost control i lost my
mind.
Old 05-01-2011, 08:35 PM   #5
KnightRiderSS
Voodoo Medicine Man

Drives: Black 2SS with RS package
Sounds like a LEO with a either a grudge against CCW or Camaro's with tint...I'd file a complaint for sure...

Maybe some LEOs can chime in?
Old 05-01-2011, 08:37 PM   #6
stryder09
Nerd.

Drives: 2008 Dodge Challenger SRT8
Yeah, that doesn't sound normal. Unless he has probable cause, he cannot search your car without your permission.
Old 05-01-2011, 08:42 PM   #7
MARINE1991

Drives: COTW 8/29/11 2010 CAMARO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Brunsy View Post
Was driving down the road on my way back from my buddies wedding, when I look in my mirror and see a State Patrolman behind me with his lights on. I proceed to pull off of the road, put my windows down and wait for him with my hands on the steering wheel. He comes up to my window to tell me he pulled me over for speeding and tinted windows, the whole time staring at my pistol which was laying where most people have their 4pk guage cluster (long drive, didn't want to keep it in my holster). He asked me if I had a CCW which I responded yes and then had my gf step out of the car and told me to keep my hands on the wheel. He took my gun out of the car and put it in his pocket, which I didn't think was a big deal. I went back to his car, and he asked me if there were any other weapons or drugs in the car, to which I said no. I got 2 tickets for tinted windows (I figured that was coming, and didn't upset me because I knew the law and chose not to obey it) and a warning for 62 in a 55. What I never saw coming was when asked me if I wanted him to tow my car. I said not especially because I had to get home so I could get to work tonight. I said i'd go to wal-mart, buy a razor and take it off right now. He said he didn't care what i did, he was having my car towed because it's an "unsafe vehicle". He called dispatch and had them send a tow truck.

He then got out of his patrol car, and without ever saying a word to me about it, began to search my car. I'm not 100% sure but don't they either have to have your permission or a Warrant? After searching my car he took my pistol, completely broke it down, took all of the rounds out of the clip, and threw it all in my suitcase. I'm not quite sure why he did that when I was perfectly leagal to have the firearm? No other officer has ever done that before.

So all in all I got 2 tint tickets at 127.50 ea and a towing bill for 150.80. The tow truck driver said the same cop did the same thing to their tow truck a couple weeks earlier because it had tinted windows. Going to call the post commander and inquire why my car was searched, why my car was towed, and why my firearm was broken down and stuffed in my luggage. Who knows, maybe I'll get them to pay for my towing bill.

To top of my wonderful day, I was late for work because of the 2 hour ordeal.

I'm never going to another wedding as long as I live.
Yes he can with finding the fire arm, that all he needed, not saying he was right, but he had probal cause.. I know I would be pissed too..
Old 05-01-2011, 08:42 PM   #8
C586
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
Another cop that got picked on in high school and wanted you to know he has power over you because your a cool guy with a cool car.
Old 05-01-2011, 08:44 PM   #9
cleanwhiteSS
2011 White Camaro RS/2SS

Drives: 2011 White Camaro RS/2SS
Good luck with calling the Post commander. That is not going to work. To get anything you have to get a lawyer. Was your gun loaded? I don't know about Iowa but in other states you have to have the ammo and firearm away from each other.

Good Luck I would be pissed too.
Old 05-01-2011, 08:51 PM   #10
KnightRiderSS
Voodoo Medicine Man

Drives: Black 2SS with RS package
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARINE1991 View Post
Yes he can with finding the fire arm, that all he needed, not saying he was right, but he had probal cause.. I know I would be pissed too..
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanwhiteSS View Post
Good luck with calling the Post commander. That is not going to work. To get anything you have to get a lawyer. Was your gun loaded? I don't know about Iowa but in other states you have to have the ammo and firearm away from each other.

He said he had a CCW...I don't see how that would give probably cause just because he had a moving and non-moving violation...still, I'm not a LEO and none of chimed in yet?
Old 05-01-2011, 08:52 PM   #11
DevilsReject97
Nightmare

Drives: Your mom crazy in bed
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARINE1991 View Post
If you have a CCP, he had no business doing it. He should have checked it and verified it. Without any warrants or legal issues, he should have given it back to you when he was done.

The only thing I can think of that would have had him doing this was finding a weapon without a CCP and breaking it down to prevent you from using it.

As for the tint, I'm not really sure....that kind of thing is at the officer's discretion...although he sounds like a prick..

I'd still file a complaint at the very least... I'd be happy with them tossing the ticket...
Old 05-01-2011, 08:52 PM   #12
Hawkeye David
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 2SS
That sucks! I've got a question though, when you picked up the car from wherever it was towed was anything changed? If you drove it off the impound lot exectly as it was before it was towed, how did the act of towing it make the vehicle safe again?

http://apps.carryconcealed.net/legal...state-laws.php
Old 05-01-2011, 09:16 PM   #13
Big Brunsy

Drives: 2010 supercharged LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanwhiteSS View Post

Iowa you can carry it loaded. It was loaded, a round in the chamber, and the saftey on. Whats the point of carrying the gun if you have to take the time to load it before you can use it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye David View Post
That sucks! I've got a question though, when you picked up the car from wherever it was towed was anything changed? If you drove it off the impound lot exectly as it was before it was towed, how did the act of towing it make the vehicle safe again?

http://apps.carryconcealed.net/legal...state-laws.php
I rode in the tow truck the whole 3 blocks to their buisness. The cop told him there was no hold on the car and I could drive it as soon as I paid them. Nothing was changed, the tint is still on the car.
Old 05-01-2011, 09:21 PM   #14
its a syn
B.O.D. 02/16/10

Drives: 2010 SGM Sp. Edition 2017 RS Conver
is this the same cop that waited for u after work for the tinted windows?