Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 05-06-2011, 10:57 PM   #1
Steve@Subthump
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS IOM Vert
My Vert Got Bass

I bought this car knowing that we would need to design some audio upgrades for it. So from the moment I drove it home from the dealer, I have been anxious to get started because the system really is that bad IMO. There is literally no bass in this car. The factory sub is there but it barely moves. So you won't squeeze much bass out of it whatsoever. Mostly distortion if you push it too hard.

I planned to accomplish a lot last weekend, but my 3yr old broke her arm on Saturday:( so that put an end to that weekend. Got back to it on monday and whipped out a nice mount that will give the sub enough clearance for the surround so it doesn't hit on the plastic shield. There's not a lot you can do with the factory spot. It's just a small cavity. Not sealed or anything and not very deep. I can see that this spot is going to limit the type and size of subwoofer that can be used. W7 users will need to look elsewhere. You're simply not going to jam a mega sub in this spot. I decide to grab a kicker cvr10. It's the most popular sub we sell so it was only fitting to grab one and use it. At first I was worried that I'd need to use a free-air sub, but turns out you don't really.

Mounting the sub is quite easy. The holes in the surround on the mount bolt up to the studs that the factory sub plate uses. While I was at it, I installed a 300w amp in the trunk. BTW, our plug and play X3 harness works perfect on the convertible so no worries. I'll post more pics of the amp mount I made hopefully tomorrow. After a brief break in period, the bass notes started to hit real nice. The output is akin to what a 10" in a coupe stealthbox would be. The bass inside the car is really excellent, it does carry outside the car (probably a little more than the coupe) but it's not overpowering. If you are a total basshead and you want to blow people off the streets as you drive by, you should hold off for the trunk designs we are planning.

This is definitely something every vert owner should do at a minimum for a more enjoyable bass while curising around in your car. I will say though, that a lot of our crowd just want a nice easy upgrade' so that is why we did this one first. I knew it would quick and easy and it doesn't take up any trunk space whatsoever (plus I had to get that piece of junk factory sub outta there lol). So that may be quite valuable for some users over boxes that take up the trunk. ie the ablity to haul some luggage or golf clubs or whatever. Below is a quick vid I shot while I was messing around and doing some testing. Nothing fancy, just wanted to show what we did. This I believe is the 1st setup I have seen in the convertible. Lemme know what you think.

Steve@Subthump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 12:03 AM   #2
Iwantone2
Voice Of The Voiceless

Drives: CGM 1SS RS
Cool video! Glad that the Vert owners are going to have a better option!
Old 05-07-2011, 12:05 AM   #3
2010SLVRBULIT

Drives: G5(LLT) & C6(LS3)
need more excursion, how about an L7?
2010SLVRBULIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 12:28 AM   #4
Sevn86

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS ABM
Nice!
Dude, you go through cars faster than I go through underware!!
1000 Initial Order 9/14/2009 - Classic Chevy Sugar Land
1100 Order accepted at dealer: 9/15/2009 - NPGV41.
2000 Order accepted by GM: 9/29/2009
3000 Accepted By Production Control: 9/30/2009 - TPW 10/26/09
3100 Sequenced:10/12/09
3300 Scheduled For Production:10/13/09
3400 Broadcast:10/22/09
3800 Produced:10/27/09
4000 Available To Ship:10/28/09
4200 Shipped:10/29/09
5000 Delivered To The Dealer:11/09/09
6000 Delivered To Customer:11/12/09
Sevn86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 05:36 AM   #5
ToddB

Drives: 2011 2SS Convertible Supercharged
Very cool. I get my car today. I going for a JL Audio w7 install. I am a fabricater by trade so im up for the challenge. Wish me luck.
ToddB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 06:11 PM   #6
Edscapade
Edscapade

Drives: 2011 SS Camaro
Great job Steve! I am sure everyone appreciates your efforts.
Edscapade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 04:57 AM   #7
modawg2k

Drives: Topless 2SS/RS IOM
Can't wait to buy this.
modawg2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 12:01 PM   #8
Iwantone2
Voice Of The Voiceless

Drives: CGM 1SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddB View Post
Very cool. I get my car today. I going for a JL Audio w7 install. I am a fabricater by trade so im up for the challenge. Wish me luck.
Please share pictures when complete!
Old 05-09-2011, 07:57 AM   #9
Steve@Subthump
Account Suspended

Oh I will. Look for more sometime this week.
Old 05-10-2011, 08:49 PM   #10
Steve@Subthump
Account Suspended

Convertible Amp Mount

As promised, here are some pics of the amp mount for the trunk that we've been working on. This is similar to the coupe model as it has a base and a cover plate. This particular cover plate is trimmed out for the 5 channel amp since we will be offering a Total Enhancement Package for the vert too. Hint Hint. As you can see, it takes up very little space and does NOT interfere with the top going down into the trunk. In fact, these pics are with the top down. We did have to remove the retractible screen, but that thing is worthless anyway so no loss there.
Attached Images

Old 05-10-2011, 10:22 PM   #11
pony

Drives: 2011 2SS Convert; Color RJT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve@******** View Post
As promised, here are some pics of the amp mount for the trunk that we've been working on. This is similar to the coupe model as it has a base and a cover plate. This particular cover plate is trimmed out for the 5 channel amp since we will be offering a Total Enhancement Package for the vert too. Hint Hint. As you can see, it takes up very little space and does NOT interfere with the top going down into the trunk. In fact, these pics are with the top down. We did have to remove the retractible screen, but that thing is worthless anyway so no loss there.
So how did you bypass the failsafe of the top NOT going down, unless the screen is "pulled out"?

Still waiting on info about the X2/X3 harness working with a 5 channel amp utilizing the current speakers for those of us NOT wanting a "total enhancement package"
pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 06:24 AM   #12
Steve@Subthump
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by pony View Post
So how did you bypass the failsafe of the top NOT going down, unless the screen is "pulled out"?

Still waiting on info about the X2/X3 harness working with a 5 channel amp utilizing the current speakers for those of us NOT wanting a "total enhancement package"

I dunno. I unhooked the wire on the back of the sidewall carpet and it lets me fold the top whenever I want. Well, except when trunk is open. x2 and x3 will work just fine. A total enhancement would include the 5 channel amp to power the current speakers. We will also offer just sub upgrades with a sub amp and subwoofer so you can keep the stock amp. Pretty much everything we are doing for the coupe, we are gonna try to offer for the vert.
Old 07-20-2011, 09:48 PM   #13
chopper

Drives: 2011 camaro 2ss convertible
Steve if I wanna replace the factory amp and replace the factory woofed would I need a 5 channel amp or would I need a 4 channel amp for the factory speakers and a mono amp for replacing the sub?
chopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 09:57 PM   #14
Orange5thGen

Drives: 2011 Convert
Send a message via Yahoo to Orange5thGen
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper View Post
Steve if I wanna replace the factory amp and replace the factory woofed would I need a 5 channel amp or would I need a 4 channel amp for the factory speakers and a mono amp for replacing the sub?
Same question. I would like more bass a single 12 would be nice, but what will fit?

I would like to have at least the stock speakers with more power then replace them later...

Single 12 and one or 2 amps?
Come see me at www.chicago5thgen.com TEAM LLT, , 2011 Covertible 1LT RS, JDM Color Shift Halo's, Showstopper Camaro Bowtie Led Mirrors, Side Markers and Engine Cover, Pace Setter Catback Exhaust, BK Coilover Kit, 21" Full Crome GM wheels, Tinted windows, I WIN BEARS Plate. Full amber ABL dash and door update with IOM interior panels.
Orange5thGen is offline   Reply With Quote