Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 05-17-2011, 03:02 PM   #1
ppiamp

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS Auto Hyper Blue
Stereo Install Pictures--Not done yet

Hi,

I am in the middle of the process of the install.
Currently using:
Alpine Imprint Processor
Alpine PDX 4.150 Front Stage Bi Amp/Wired
Alpine PDX 4.100 Rear Stage (only for back up beeper)
Alpine PDX 1.1000
JL Audio Two 12W3v3
Boston SPZ 60's
40 farad cap
600 cca battery
monstercable and zero noise cables.

Will be using a false floor so you will not see any of the equipement.

I am tuning the Sub box and deciding if I want to point the sub forwards or not. I have heard there are pro's and con's to both. I am about 85% happy with the subs now....There is a resonance Fs at about 80 to 100Hz I am trying to deal with. If a track hit this hard it will make the make the trunk vibrate like a tuning fork.....Yes, 70sqft. of dynamat I think the issue is the trunk itself is blocking the wave, a box inside a box. I am not sure if the front aiming box would correct this, but JL audio's 1300.00 stealth box does the same thing...and those guys try everything before releasing an item....Can anyone chime in here?

The car also has a midrange peak at about 3db @1 to 2k hz. I used the imprint to get rid of it but dealing with that is a must for balenced sound.

Also, If you use use the stock tweeter pods you need to be 2db down at least/and or Time delay them seperately.

Getting through the door with wires is a real pain, but worth it as the stock wire has tweeter wires and other things on the line in parallel...I tried with the stock wire and it didn't cut if for SQ...they were quite noisy IMO.

I want to thank Steve@******** and Topdown for all the advice.
Attached Images

Last edited by ppiamp; 05-17-2011 at 11:20 PM.
ppiamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 03:36 PM   #2
Iwantone2
Voice Of The Voiceless

Drives: CGM 1SS RS
This looks promising...

Old 05-17-2011, 03:44 PM   #3
Topdown
The wait is over!

Drives: 2010 Camaro, IOM, L99, Auto
looking good so far!

should sound great. that peakiness is what I was fighting with as well... I also ended up dropping my tweeters about -3db and man aged to EQ'd out most of the peakiness.

looks like you got into the doors nice and tidy/clean, I like it... cant wait to see it all done.

AlphaDamp CLD Mat - Get more Sound Deadening with less Sound Deadener
Topdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 04:08 PM   #4
ppiamp

Thanks guys,
I will post Imprint graphs of the final Fs sweeps, I am still tuning the sub box down before I commit to the final false floor. Front stage is 95% , bass box is 85%. Any ideas on the how to tune that sub box? I seem to be fighting it...
My other idea is a deathbox bandpass, with a small 5 channel amp. This will allow my to get rid of my battery and cap...Topdown, What do you think?

Last edited by ppiamp; 05-17-2011 at 11:22 PM.
Old 05-17-2011, 06:19 PM   #5
=Stephens=

Drives: 2011 LS
are you hooking this up to your stock radio?
=Stephens= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 06:33 PM   #6
ppiamp

Yes, Stock radio directly into the Alpine Imprint processor, which controls TA, eq and xovers and gain
Old 05-17-2011, 06:39 PM   #7
ppiamp

Topdown,

My midrange peak is a lower Fs in the mid....the boston xover is at 3K so a tweeter adjustment will not get it for me....you might look into it. The Imprint found it every time.
Old 05-17-2011, 07:10 PM   #8
USNSCPO
Gearhead

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppiamp View Post
Thanks guys,
I will post Imprint graphs of the final Fs sweeps, I am still getting the sub box down before I commit to the final false floor. Front stage is 95% , bass box is 85%. Any ideas on the how to tune that sub box? I seem to be fighting it...
My other idea is a deathbox bandpass, with a small 5 channel amp. This will allow my to get rid of my battery and cap...Topdown, What do you think?
Lets have some details on your enclosure. Sealed, ported, 4th or 6th order bandpass? Total volume without drivers? one shared airspace, or one per driver? Does the peak shift if you drop the rear seat? Then I can grab the driver specs from JL, and run some numbers for ya.

You describe a huge 80hz peak makes which makes me think its an alignment issue as opposed to sub placement. Placement would affect cabin gain. Typical cabin gain doesn't start to manifest (to the ear) until about 65hz rising to 40ish hz, the falling off. Oh, and if you think you have peak now, the DECWARE deathbox will really pound, and is adjustable, as you know... but it isn't a real good SQ solution since its a 4th order BP. It has some odd phase characteristics.
Old 05-17-2011, 07:17 PM   #9
=Stephens=

Drives: 2011 LS
What does the Imprint do for your system?
=Stephens= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 07:31 PM   #10
2010SLVRBULIT

Drives: G5(LLT) & C6(LS3)
front facing subs will yield less impact(muffled by the back seat), face them towards the rear and allow the reflected bass wave to get into the cabin somehow(remove the 6x9s?), theory of 'cornerloading'.
2010SLVRBULIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 07:32 PM   #11
greenmachinedriver

Drives: white 2010 ss and 2011 6.2 silvy
wow, ive put together a few systems before but you guys are way over my head. kudos to the audiophiles.
greenmachinedriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 10:11 PM   #12
Topdown
The wait is over!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppiamp View Post
Thanks guys,
I will post Imprint graphs of the final Fs sweeps, I am still getting the sub box down before I commit to the final false floor. Front stage is 95% , bass box is 85%. Any ideas on the how to tune that sub box? I seem to be fighting it...
There really isnt much tuning you can do to the sub, one of the drawbacks to a sealed enclosure, but try playing with the sub phase and crossover point/slopes. In my install with a class-d sub amp, I had to cross over higher than normal with a sharp roll-off to blend with my mids with a less aggressive roll. 100hz on my subs and 80 on my mids, with my subs firing out of phase with my mids, then I EQ'd a small hump in my mids at 40hz, which is well below the cutoff, but it brought the bass forward into the cab instead of just a pounding from the trunk.

then I EQ'd the peak around 80hz out of the subs and actually used a small (2db or so) bass boost at 35hz to make it reach 25hz with some authority. normally I really dislike bass boost, but without a processor and only limited EQ functionality, I am doing what I can with what I've got.

needless to say, tuning this car has been fun, but definitely a challenge... now if I could just leave it the hell alone I would be in great shape.

Old 05-17-2011, 10:15 PM   #13
Topdown
The wait is over!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010SLVRBULIT View Post
front facing subs will yield less impact(muffled by the back seat), face them towards the rear and allow the reflected bass wave to get into the cabin somehow(remove the 6x9s?), theory of 'cornerloading'.
his subs are rear-facing... and I agree, I think removing the 6x9 will help with the "stangled bass" effect that you'r likely running into.

Old 05-17-2011, 10:16 PM   #14
Edscapade
Edscapade

Drives: 2011 SS Camaro
Nice work - Thanks for sharing. Keep the pictures coming.
Edscapade is offline   Reply With Quote