Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 06-29-2011, 09:59 PM   #1
Dr. Evil

Drives: 2013 SS
BMR Trailing arms are in

I know its not a huge mod or even a hard one. It took me all of about 20 minutes from start to finish. I hope this helps with the wheel hop. I only have about 1800 miles on my car but have done a few launches trying to get a feel for the car/clutch.
I'll take her for a spin and report back in a few days the results.
Obligatory pics for those that have read this far.

Dr. Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 07:32 AM   #2
2quick

Drives: none
Is that at your house? Nice garage!
2quick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 08:12 AM   #3
blazzin1

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS R6P
Man, I wish I had a lift like that in my garage!!! That would be sweet!!!
blazzin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 08:17 AM   #4
mhog

Drives: 2010 V6 Camaro 2LT/RS
I got the ones made by sphon. It put the tires on the ground. Much better traction.
mhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 08:46 AM   #5
BMR Sales

Drives: Race Car
You should see a considerable difference using our BMR trailing arms over the stock trailing arms. Go out and drive it and let us know how it works out for you.
BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 01:25 PM   #6
Dr. Evil

Went for a drive earlier to test it out. I only tested it as far as stright line acceleration is concerned and not pushing it in any turns. That'll come later.

Observations:
Wheel hop is still there but is reduced. Its there only on the initial 'hit' and then it settles out.
What I did notice a difference on is the car feels more settled on hard launches or burnouts.
What all this means is that the car settles in faster and is more predictable than before. Before it would wander a bit when taking off hard and you really couldnt tell what the car was going to do next. Now not so much. I think its a worthwhile mod for the price esp. I'll be adding more stuff in the future and add commentary/opinion as it happens.

Disclaimer:
I'm no expert race car driver but I have owned a string of F bods and 2 C4 corvettes(After driving a 350rwhp C4 at 10/10ths on a closed course with race tires I know all about getting feedback from a car). I have a few regional SCCA autox championships, track days and a boatload of backroad experience. None of that qualifies me as an expert but I do know a thing or two about handling
Old 06-30-2011, 01:31 PM   #7
mhog

Drives: 2010 V6 Camaro 2LT/RS
This is a mod that everyone should do. Doesn't matter if you drag race of drag the kids to sunday school it improves traction big time. The stock arm is very flimsy.
mhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 01:59 PM   #8
BMR Sales

Drives: Race Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Evil View Post
Went for a drive earlier to test it out. I only tested it as far as stright line acceleration is concerned and not pushing it in any turns. That'll come later.

Observations:
Wheel hop is still there but is reduced. Its there only on the initial 'hit' and then it settles out.
What I did notice a difference on is the car feels more settled on hard launches or burnouts.
What all this means is that the car settles in faster and is more predictable than before. Before it would wander a bit when taking off hard and you really couldnt tell what the car was going to do next. Now not so much. I think its a worthwhile mod for the price esp. I'll be adding more stuff in the future and add commentary/opinion as it happens.

Disclaimer:
I'm no expert race car driver but I have owned a string of F bods and 2 C4 corvettes(After driving a 350rwhp C4 at 10/10ths on a closed course with race tires I know all about getting feedback from a car). I have a few regional SCCA autox championships, track days and a boatload of backroad experience. None of that qualifies me as an expert but I do know a thing or two about handling
It is considerably harder to control the wheel hop in the manual cars then it is with the autos. The manual cars shock the tires much harder when launching and shifting which really contributes to the wheel hop. You are probably going to want to look at toe rods, rear cradle bushings, and diff bushings. These parts will also help control rear suspension movement which will lead to much reduced wheel hop.
BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 03:16 PM   #9
Dr. Evil

Thats what I was trying to say Kyle. The wheel hop is still there but only on the initial 'hit'. I'm pleased with your products so far.
I'm already looking at what my next mods from you guys will be and what I can spend next month as well.

My last car was a 96 vette that also had ind rear susp and a manual trans. Of course the dana 44 setup in that car was vastly different in that it had a more straightforward approach to trailing arms (2 per side) but it also had the transvese leaf spring setup. That car would launch in a very consistent manner with no drama. 1.75 - 1.80 60 foots were easy on DR and it would leave straight and true. Thats where I'd like to take this car.
Alignment plays a big part in how well the car leaves too but thats a whole other thread.
Old 06-30-2011, 04:10 PM   #10
PoorMansCamaro

Drives: Really Slow
if you want something more challenging, get the trailing arm bushings. Unless you have the right tools, this is a PITA. lol