Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 08-09-2011, 09:56 AM   #1
toyboy1980

Drives: 2012 45th 2LT/RS
Vararam vs Roto Fab

Hey guys. I currently have a Roto Fab cai installed on my 2LT. Here's my question...

Should I keep the Roto Fab and install the air scoop + washer bottle relocation kit, or buy the Vararam?

Would love some opinions on this, especially if there are any of you who've had both.
Mods: RX Catch Can / MRT Version 2.0 Exhaust / RotoFab CAI / Apex Motorsports Scoop + Windshield Washer Bottle Relocation / Hurst "HardDrive" Plate / Mud Guards / Heritage Grill + Street Scene Lower Valance / Metra Kit + Pioneer AVIC Z120BT / AAC "Ghosted" LED Concept Side Markers / P13W Plasma LED Bulbs + DRL Harness
toyboy1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 10:04 AM   #2
E.T.

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by toyboy1980 View Post
Hey guys. I currently have a Roto Fab cai installed on my 2LT. Here's my question...

Should I keep the Roto Fab and install the air scoop + washer bottle relocation kit, or buy the Vararam?

Would love some opinions on this, especially if there are any of you who've had both.
Would probably be cheaper to do the relocate and scoop. That way, you get the ram air effect without having to worry about all the fitment issues. I'm doing the same thing with my CAI.

E.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 10:38 AM   #3
Shuffler
God Bless Dawson

Drives: Synergy for my Daughter
Do whatever you want to do on it.

I went with the Vararam and am very happy with it. I have had no fitment issues.

I had the stock breather before this. I did not have another CAI.

Several folks have switched from other manufacturers. In the end it is up to what you want.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:40 AM   #4
toyboy1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.T. View Post
Would probably be cheaper to do the relocate and scoop. That way, you get the ram air effect without having to worry about all the fitment issues. I'm doing the same thing with my CAI.
Yeah I hear ya on cost. I'm torn.
Mods: RX Catch Can / MRT Version 2.0 Exhaust / RotoFab CAI / Apex Motorsports Scoop + Windshield Washer Bottle Relocation / Hurst "HardDrive" Plate / Mud Guards / Heritage Grill + Street Scene Lower Valance / Metra Kit + Pioneer AVIC Z120BT / AAC "Ghosted" LED Concept Side Markers / P13W Plasma LED Bulbs + DRL Harness
Old 08-09-2011, 10:50 AM   #5
BenningJ

Drives: 2013 AGM 1SS/RS LS3
I currently have the Roto-Fab and switched from the Vararam. I had a lot of fitment issues. I liked the VR but it wouldn't sit right and even screwed up my fuel trims for awhile. The RF has a nice increase in power and I think if the RF is already working for you then you should just get the relocation kit and ADM Scoop. Besides I think the RF looks better; there aren't any empty areas underneath the hood.
| LS3 | CAI Inductions, Inc Intake | Vmax Ported Throttle Body | Dynatech 1.875" Long Tube Headers | Apex Scoop & Washer Bottle Relocation | Lethal Racing Night Fury Cam | BTR 7.400" Push Rods |LS2 Dampener | Melling 10296 Oil Pump | IWIS Chain | BTR .660" Dual Valve Springs | BTR Trunion Upgrade Kit | Lethal Racing Tuned | Anvil Notch Spoiler | BMR Split Drop Springs | Eaton TrueTrac | GM 3.91 Gears | LPW Diff Cover | Rohana RF2 275/40 20x10F 315/35 20x11R | BMR Polyurethane Motor Mounts
BenningJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 11:24 AM   #6
toyboy1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenningJ View Post
I currently have the Roto-Fab and switched from the Vararam. I had a lot of fitment issues. I liked the VR but it wouldn't sit right and even screwed up my fuel trims for awhile. The RF has a nice increase in power and I think if the RF is already working for you then you should just get the relocation kit and ADM Scoop. Besides I think the RF looks better; there aren't any empty areas underneath the hood.
Just curious, how long ago did you have the Vararam and have fitment issues? From reading through different threads on here, it kinda looks like they've been corrected.
Old 08-09-2011, 11:33 AM   #7
OOLIE

Drives: 2011 LS
Honestly I am not sure it is worth taking the monetary loss on your current set up. I don't think the gains from Vararam are going to be that much more to make it worth losing the money. If you scoop I know you will see an improvement in your set up as I did the Foglight scoop to my injen short ram and noticed a difference right away.

If I had the stock intake I would buy vararam for sure, but I can't see changing now. Ultimately it is your decission obviously, just my 2 cents from my experience
Old 08-09-2011, 12:29 PM   #8
BenningJ

Drives: 2013 AGM 1SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by toyboy1980 View Post
Just curious, how long ago did you have the Vararam and have fitment issues? From reading through different threads on here, it kinda looks like they've been corrected.
I have had my Roto-Fab for about 2 weeks now. I returned the Vararam about a week previously; I was part of the 2nd group buy. The fitment issues were actually the least of my worries. After being instructed to trim the horn the unit fit much better. However my fuel trims got messed up somehow cause I was definitely not seeing the mileage I was on long trips. The intake made a good difference but I am feeling the same differences with my RF as I was with the VR. As OOLIE said for the amount of money I don't see that gains being that significant enough to make a difference.

You are correct, they had spent a lot of time getting everything to work on every car possible. I spent a lot of time talking with Patrick on the design and flow characteristics. Most was for my benefit of knowing more on how the fitment changed the performance and some was for their benefit in explaining what issues I was having and ways to modify their current design. If you had the stock box I would probably recommend the VR or the RF but I would likely push more for the RF due to the ability to custom color match to your car. I haven't done much research yet on the ADM scoop but I would think that you will see much closer numbers with it installed.
| LS3 | CAI Inductions, Inc Intake | Vmax Ported Throttle Body | Dynatech 1.875" Long Tube Headers | Apex Scoop & Washer Bottle Relocation | Lethal Racing Night Fury Cam | BTR 7.400" Push Rods |LS2 Dampener | Melling 10296 Oil Pump | IWIS Chain | BTR .660" Dual Valve Springs | BTR Trunion Upgrade Kit | Lethal Racing Tuned | Anvil Notch Spoiler | BMR Split Drop Springs | Eaton TrueTrac | GM 3.91 Gears | LPW Diff Cover | Rohana RF2 275/40 20x10F 315/35 20x11R | BMR Polyurethane Motor Mounts
BenningJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 02:17 PM   #9
Shuffler
God Bless Dawson

Drives: Synergy for my Daughter
Any cold air can be color matched.
Old 08-09-2011, 02:58 PM   #10
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
I would keep the RF unit and do the scoop. I had a modded airaid(more holes for air) then switched the the Injen long tube. I noticed difference there so maybe the scoop will do the trick. More air to the Injen from the front ducts I have also helped also helped, so get all the air to it you can within its A/F parameters of course.
VR Baron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 03:09 PM   #11
toyboy1980

Thanks for all the comments/viewpoints guys.
Old 08-09-2011, 03:09 PM   #12
WCoolBreeze
2SS

Drives: 2016 2SS, Red Garnet Tint
I am very Happy with the setup I have in my Camaro 2LT/RS. I had been holding out to get the GM CAI except it has never been released. So after doing nearl 1.5 years of research I got the Roto-Fab CAI. I did not like the way the stock washer bottle blocked the intake so I got the the Roto-Fab W/W Relocation Kit and then I finally got the ADM Race Air Scoop. I am VERY HAPPY with this setup and I also have the GMPP Exhaust (with Tips). The last item I am thinking of adding to my car are the DT Shortie Headers and then I will leave things alone. Also the highest I have seeen my present setup as far as MPG has been 35 mpg and this is only if I keep my foot off of the gas pedal. Sound is GREAT.

Walt B.

Gen6, 2016 Camaro 2SS, Red Garnet Tint (with Silver Rally Stripes)

Ordered: 2-12-2016
TPW: 3-7-2016
Built: 3-7-2016
VIN 1G1FH78G0157626
Delivered: 4-26-2016

Last edited by WCoolBreeze; 08-17-2011 at 08:05 AM.
WCoolBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 03:19 PM   #13
NYJets77

Drives: 2013 2LT/RS Summit White
Unless you can sell what you have, work with it.
NYJets77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 03:28 PM   #14
TJ91
:chevy:

Drives: 2LT/RS
what scoop are you guys talking about?
If you experience Permagrin exceeding 4 hours after taking Camaro, seek immediate Camaro5 Help
CAMARO Bringing excitment back into the Garage
TJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote