Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 08-14-2011, 07:30 PM   #1
kaler

Drives: 2011 Dodge 3500 dually Mega Cab
IAT 130-140 deg do I have a problem?

I have a CAI inc. Intake. I have been data logging,the ambient temp is 95 deg at a stop the IAT is 130 - 140 deg and only drops to 120deg at 30-40 mph. I have to get up to 60+ mph to get the IAT below 100deg. Is this normal? Were the filter goes thru the side of the CAI box they have a rubber seal, there is a 1/4 inch gap all the way around the seal.
Old 08-14-2011, 07:46 PM   #2
Padre
Only drives on Sundays

Drives: '16 2SS A8 NPP MRC NGray
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaler View Post
I have a CAI inc. Intake. I have been data logging,the ambient temp is 95 deg at a stop the IAT is 130 - 140 deg and only drops to 120deg at 30-40 mph. I have to get up to 60+ mph to get the IAT below 100deg. Is this normal? Were the filter goes thru the side of the CAI box they have a rubber seal, there is a 1/4 inch gap all the way around the seal.
Name:  welltheresyourproblem-s.jpg
Views: 662
Size:  70.1 KB

I don't know the CAI design, but if you're drawing in hot engine air, there's problably something wrong with the install. 130*+ IATs are not normal.

Padre

OLD HOTNESS: The "Heretic": '11 2SS/RS L99 A6 Black/Inferno. Build Journal, Videos
D1SC GT9 JBA-LT = 720/680 | 10.330 @ 133.61, 1.546 sixty... Camaro King at ECS V, Darlington.
NEW HOTNESS: '16 2SS A8 NPP MRC. Bone Stock, 1/8th: 8.051 @ 89.44, 1.919
Padre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 08:31 PM   #3
bankrollb

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Mine reads ambient temps while driving. It is a great product. You may have it installed incorrectly.
Vararam cold air intake, TSP longtube headers with cats, Magnaflow street catback exhaust, SLP short throw shifter and knob, BMR trailing arms, BMR outer trailing arm bushings, BMR toe rods, BMR subframe inserts, Hotchkis Max Chassis Brace, BMR pro differential bushings, Granatelli spark plug wires. TSP 225/230 cam
bankrollb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 08:40 PM   #4
Rhino79

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS L99/Auto
I could see them getting that hot after shutting it off for 10-15 mins and restarting, just due to heat soak. Not normal operating temp though.
Rhino79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 08:02 PM   #5
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Stop and think about it. At idle, your car is sucking in air from anywhere it can. Just so happens, when there's no moving air, it will suck hot air from the engine bay, that comes from underneath. It will also get air from the front opening that's right beside the radiator. OTR CAI's are going to be just as bad, if not worse, since ALL their air is comes directly off the radiator. It's perfectly fine to have those temps when idling. Once you start cruising, they temps should drop accordingly.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 09:04 PM   #6
Rhino79

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS L99/Auto
I think the OTR will be better actually, because you are drawing air from in front of the radiator, and while you will have some heated air from the radiator, that will be better than the engine compartment next to the exhaust manifold.

I rarely see those IAT's when data logging, normally those extreme temps are from heat soak when shut off. If the temps are only dropping to 120* at 40 mph, either the system isn't sealed off very well at the heat deflector, OR it just hasn't had enough time to cool down. From 140*, it will take 2-3 mins of cruising 30+ mph to cycle enough air through to cool it back down.

I don't know what material their tube material is, but the aluminum tube will run a little warmer than plastic.
Rhino79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 11:33 PM   #7
axis
Search Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino79 View Post
I think the OTR will be better actually, because you are drawing air from in front of the radiator, and while you will have some heated air from the radiator, that will be better than the engine compartment next to the exhaust manifold.

I rarely see those IAT's when data logging, normally those extreme temps are from heat soak when shut off. If the temps are only dropping to 120* at 40 mph, either the system isn't sealed off very well at the heat deflector, OR it just hasn't had enough time to cool down. From 140*, it will take 2-3 mins of cruising 30+ mph to cycle enough air through to cool it back down.

I don't know what material their tube material is, but the aluminum tube will run a little warmer than plastic.
That might be true if the intake extended to the front of the car but it doesn't. The front of the car is pretty much enclosed and the heat from the radiator rises straight into the mouth of the intake. While that doesn't cause a problem when cruising, while sitting still the enclosed front of the car will hold the heat right where it is.

The CAI, along with almost all the other traditional spot CAI's have a heat shield that blocks off the direct heat from the engine bay. It can draw heat from the bottom when sitting still though. All CAI's rely on the car moving to get fresh air to their filter. Comparing idle IAT temps is pointless. I do agree that it takes a short while for the IAT's to come back down. A member on here video taped his IAT measurements and posted them up for all to see. I was amazed at just how fast your IAT's rise when you stop at a stoplight. It took considerably longer for them to go back down, once he was cruising again.
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)

Old 08-16-2011, 12:56 AM   #8
kaler

I can understand the IAT sky rocketing at a stop but mine seem to be staying high. I took the CAI out and inspected every thing. I think the boot that is installed in the side of the heat shield just does not fit tight enough around the filter. When I re installed it I put a bead of silicone around the base of the heat shield,under the lid and a nice thick one at the base of the filter were it buts up against the inside of the heat shield. I am not sure if the bead at the base of the filter will hold up because of the engine moving under load. I will data log the IAT tomorrow to see if this helps lower the IAT.
Old 08-16-2011, 01:52 PM   #9
Jayrcr3

Drives: 2011 IOM 2SS/RS
My CAI has no gap at all around the seal. Something is definitely wrong there. Every time I have logged mine I get 2-3* above ambient just about anytime I'm moving. Double check your install, and give Bill a call if something looks messed up. He will take care of you. My guess is he will respond to this post before the day is over.
American Racing 1 7/8" Headers and Hi-Flow Cats, CAI cold air intake, Flowmaster AT exhaust, Vengeance Racing Stage 2 cam, VMax ported throttle body, TEA valve springs and titanium retainers, Trick Flow hardened pushrods, 180* T-stat, Comp Trunion kit, ZL1 Fuel Pump, ADM Fuel Pump Control Module, 20% window tint, Whipple Supercharger. Tuned by Mike Norris Motorsports. 656rwhp/584rwtq @10 PSI.
Jayrcr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 02:10 PM   #10
SSBUSDRVR

Drives: '11 2SS/RS IBM/BLK M6
Quote:
My CAI has no gap at all around the seal. Something is definitely wrong there. Every time I have logged mine I get 2-3* above ambient just about anytime I'm moving.
No gap here either. And if remembering correctly, the 2d is just about in line with what the Janetty comparison test reported for the CAI Intake.

ProCharger Stage II D1X Race ,Monster Triple,Alky Control Meth Inj, Forgestar F14 Drag Version and a bunch of other blah blah blah.838/688 at 12lbs Street Friendly
SSBUSDRVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 02:15 PM   #11
axis
Search Ninja

There has to be a gap around the intake tube. The tube moves back and forth with the engine. If it wasn't there, it would eat up the heatshield.
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)

Old 08-16-2011, 02:30 PM   #12
SSBUSDRVR

Drives: '11 2SS/RS IBM/BLK M6
Quote:
There has to be a gap around the intake tube. The tube moves back and forth with the engine. If it wasn't there, it would eat up the heatshield.
Can't see the gap here Of course there is a tiny gap so there is some movement but that is splitting hairs.But there is noway a 1/4" gap like stated here. Something isn't right.

ProCharger Stage II D1X Race ,Monster Triple,Alky Control Meth Inj, Forgestar F14 Drag Version and a bunch of other blah blah blah.838/688 at 12lbs Street Friendly
SSBUSDRVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 07:07 PM   #13
Jayrcr3

Drives: 2011 IOM 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis View Post
I just checked mine. there is ZERO gap around the tube. I even used a flashlight. You can't see any light around the seal. If the OP has a 1/4 inch gap its installed incorrectly, or he has a defective seal.
American Racing 1 7/8" Headers and Hi-Flow Cats, CAI cold air intake, Flowmaster AT exhaust, Vengeance Racing Stage 2 cam, VMax ported throttle body, TEA valve springs and titanium retainers, Trick Flow hardened pushrods, 180* T-stat, Comp Trunion kit, ZL1 Fuel Pump, ADM Fuel Pump Control Module, 20% window tint, Whipple Supercharger. Tuned by Mike Norris Motorsports. 656rwhp/584rwtq @10 PSI.
Jayrcr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 02:37 PM   #14
kaler

I finally got a chance to data log the IAT again. The ambient temp was 97 deg. Driving at any speed the IAT went down to 102deg when I hammered it they dropped to ambient temp 97 deg. At stop lights they only climbed to 106 deg. The silicone seems to be working great but I don't think it will hold up long term. I am going to come up with a better way to seal the hole/filter in the heat shield.