Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 08-16-2011, 01:12 AM   #1
jasycz28
J.Sick

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
How accurate are boost gauges?

I have a whipple, muffler delete, and a custom tune no other mods. Whipples kit says it should be at 8.5psi. My AEM boost gauge only shows between 6 and touches 7 sometimes during WOT. What other way do I have to verify? Dyno boost reference?
Old 08-16-2011, 06:55 AM   #2
Rcfiddy1
Sold car...

Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow 2SS/RS #37115
Im new to the forced family, but I was told that our computers read boost as long as you have the right MAP sensor. So if your using a aeroforce interceptor it will read boost. Ill test that later since my tuner swapped out my map when it was tuned.
ECS Novi 1500 Supercharged, LS3 conversion, Small blower cam, Alky Meth injection, 3:45 rear, BMR Suspension parts, 1LE Sways, Billy Boat ZL1 dual mode exhaust.
Rcfiddy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 08:12 AM   #3
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
I am using the AEM Cobalt gauges, and my boost gauge is spot on at 12 lbs. I would trust the gauges over the literature, though that being said, it is possible to have a bad one... They are easy to test if you have a low pressure pump and a reference gauge... Put both gauges in line and pump air until you reach the middle of the sweep range of both gauges... Gauges are most accurate at the middle of their range... And are usually +/- either 1 or 3 percent accurate..., industry standards for non critical use gauges... I work with some that are accurate to .1 percent, but OMG are they expensive, and they have to be calibration certified every year...

To test the one you are using, try to have one with a simular range for accuracy comparisons across the board... Most any parts house should be able to help you out with a gauge to compare against... Or a performance shop will probably have some laying around

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote