Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 09-07-2011, 06:20 AM   #1
MrandMrsNinja

Drives: 11' SGM 2SS/13' GT/08' F-150 4x4
Unhappy Texas Wildfires

Things are pretty bad down here. Luckily we are out of the way, but I have alot of friends who have been affected by this. I know some friends were tryin to get their horses and other livestock moved out of the way and a few that have been evacuated and others are hoping they dont get evacuated. Any thoughts y'all can send our way would be greatly appriciated.

This is an excerpt from an article I was reading last night. I know a lot worse things have happened and will continue to happen over the next few days but it actually made me sick reading this:

John Chapman's home on about 20 acres was only singed and had some smoke damage, but the vintage-car collector lost about 175 vehicles he kept in a garage or under pole barns. His losses included about a dozen Corvettes and a Shelby Cobra.

As ashes swirled and tree stumps still spit flames, the 70-year-old Chapman pointed out the melted remains of a 1966 Pontiac GTO, a '57 Chevrolet pickup and a 1947 Studebaker pickup, and said: "You can either laugh or you can cry. You might as well laugh."

"The house is safe, my wife and I are alive and good, and I'm not going to worry about it," he said.

here's the article
http://www.heraldnet.com/article/201...WS02/709079858
Old 09-07-2011, 07:25 AM   #2
bossbunny
Mrs. Bunny to you

Drives: Not a Camaro
What amazed me is this started on Sunday and when people really needed information there wasn't any on the news or on the radio. It wasn't until Monday afternoon that the news started paying attention. Those people rely on the news to get info for their safety. I kept up with it on Twitter and I found radio stations and police/fire scanners to listen to. /End rant.

I feel really bad for these people displaced. And the whole state was practically in fear of a fire starting near them. Thankfully the conditions are getting better and these are being contained. Now we can evaluate and rebuild. My prayers are with these people.
bossbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 07:51 AM   #3
toesuf94

Drives: THR #11 E-force supercharged
Send a message via MSN to toesuf94
I hate hearing about car collections lost like this...and usually we find out it traces back to some mental midgets playing with a little camp fire or bottle rockets who leave what they started and go home. Cars are replaceable (in most cases) - people are not.
Old 09-07-2011, 08:03 AM   #4
MrandMrsNinja

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgebunny View Post
What amazed me is this started on Sunday and when people really needed information there wasn't any on the news or on the radio. It wasn't until Monday afternoon that the news started paying attention. Those people rely on the news to get info for their safety. I kept up with it on Twitter and I found radio stations and police/fire scanners to listen to. /End rant.

I feel really bad for these people displaced. And the whole state was practically in fear of a fire starting near them. Thankfully the conditions are getting better and these are being contained. Now we can evaluate and rebuild. My prayers are with these people.
there still isn't much being shared as far as locations go right now. One of my friends dad still don't know if his house in Bastrop burned dow or not. Last time he was there the fire was 150 yds from his house with firefighters in between the two. Another lady i work with hasn't been home since sunday and she still doesn't know if she has a house or not. Alot of these people aren't out of the woods just yet. Still need some serious rain to help everyone out
Old 09-07-2011, 08:05 AM   #5
MrandMrsNinja

Quote:
Originally Posted by toesuf94 View Post
I hate hearing about car collections lost like this...and usually we find out it traces back to some mental midgets playing with a little camp fire or bottle rockets who leave what they started and go home. Cars are replaceable (in most cases) - people are not.

i know the dude is thankful that his house and family is ok, but damn, that sucks about his cars. Can you carry insurance on that many cars? would home owners cover that? Just sucks...so many classics that can never be rebuilt again