Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Dragstrip and Launch Techniques Discussion

Old 09-21-2011, 09:22 PM   #1
apeko

Drives: 2011 2-SS/RS SGM
Test and tune day at the track help

I am thinking of taking my car out to the local drag raceway to see what she could do. It’s a stock 2ss auto.
What driving tips could some of you more experienced racers could share? Such as manual shifting and how to get the best launch.

Thanks
Old 09-21-2011, 09:24 PM   #2
Rage
TRI-COUNTY CAMARO... FTW!

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6 Cyber Grey
In the auto i think u just mash the right pedal and hold on.... lmao
CAI inc. cold air intake, LG G6x3 cam, Patriot Gold Extreme Dual springs, Titanium retainers and locks, LG SuperPro 1 7/8 Long Tube headers with full 3" exhaust, DynoMax VT mufflers, SLP 4" tips, Moroso catch can, Race Ready electronic exhaust cut outs, Full painted Razzi body kit, Headlight Armor Smoke taillight and marker blackouts, T-Rex aluminum upper and lower grille, Polished aluminum front and rear bowties. Professionally installed and Dyno Tuned by HorsePower Sales, Pompano Beach FL.
Rage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 09:27 PM   #3
apeko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rage View Post
yea i think i know that part.....i was looking for just a bit more. But thanks ill try tha first lol
Old 09-21-2011, 10:14 PM   #4
MagnusKrans

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS L99
I've read about this a little on these forums and it appears that the general opinion is to: put the car in "M" but don't use the paddle shifters, let the car shift. Tap the traction control button once to turn off traction control. Rev the car up to about 2500 rpms or so with your foot on the brake at launch, then go! I've also read that with the stock tires its best to avoid the water pit and just do a slight burnout before the race. Hope this helps a little!

2011 1SS/RS L99 VR

- - Livernois 2c-hl cam, Livernois stage 2 heads, ported intake, ported TB, CAI intake, ADM scoop, Stainless Works 1-7/8" headers w/ hfc, Magnaflow 3" exhaust. - - 451 rwhp/411 rwtq - -
MagnusKrans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 10:32 PM   #5
BBaxter

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rage View Post
Yes, not a lot of skill required. Hit the gas and just sit back and let your automatic transmission have all the fun.
BBaxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 10:39 PM   #6
squat

Drives: 2011 Dodge Charger
Put it in M, rev the car to about 2k with yer foot on then brake and let er rip.
Old 09-22-2011, 09:00 AM   #7
Cincy10SSRS

Drives: 2010 2SS RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by squat View Post
Put it in M, rev the car to about 2k with yer foot on then brake and let er rip.
And go on the last yellow light; if you wait to actually see the green light up you've lost time already.
Cincy10SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 11:16 AM   #8
armysig
Catch me if you can

Drives: 2012 IOM ZL-1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy11RS View Post
And go on the last yellow light; if you wait to actually see the green light up you've lost time already.
No, your time down the track doesn't start until you trip the start censor, now your reaction time does start on the green.
Old 09-22-2011, 12:27 PM   #9
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Leave on the last Yellow light. Don't wait until you see green. By the time you see that last yellow, you react, and then your car reacts.....you'll cut a reasonable light.

Don't do a John Force burn out and go out past the staging lights. Back when I was 16 and raced for the first time I had always watched the Funny Cars and Pro Stock cars do that. I thought all cars did that. Nope....I got harrassed for a while after doing that and it's still stuck in my mind to this day. Just do a quick little burn out. All you need to do is basially get the tires turned a couple time to just get the rocks and dust off the tires. Oh...and drive around the burn out box water. If you drive through the water box with street tires you'll have water retained in the tread which will cause you to loose traction at the line.

Lower your rear tire pressure down to 25psi. Just know that you'll need a way to get them back up to 36 psi before you leave the track.

For the first time or so you might just leave it in drive and punch it. It gets very nerve racking when going up to the line trying to remember everything to do. You're not out there to win anything so don't expect to get some bad ass time the first time out. Just get down the track without breaking anything for now and you're good.

Go up and watch the way people do a quick burn out and how they stage their car so you'll have a clue when you go to the line. Typically you pull up till you turn on your first stagging bulb...and then barely ease up until that second stagging bulb comes on. Then be ready to go....don't forget to leave on the last yellow and not green.

If you're in the far right lane (assuming it's the outer lane) and even if you finish first, always wait until the other guy is off the track first. Don't turn in front of someone unless you're 100% positive you won't get hit.

Go out and have fun. Don't worry about how fast the guy's car is next to you. All you're doing is working on your mechanics of getting a good launch and getting down the strip without any issues.....it's called "seat time" and you'll need plenty of it before you get any good.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 07:38 PM   #10
apeko

Quote:
Originally Posted by caverman View Post
Leave on the last Yellow light. Don't wait until you see green. By the time you see that last yellow, you react, and then your car reacts.....you'll cut a reasonable light.

Don't do a John Force burn out and go out past the staging lights. Back when I was 16 and raced for the first time I had always watched the Funny Cars and Pro Stock cars do that. I thought all cars did that. Nope....I got harrassed for a while after doing that and it's still stuck in my mind to this day. Just do a quick little burn out. All you need to do is basially get the tires turned a couple time to just get the rocks and dust off the tires. Oh...and drive around the burn out box water. If you drive through the water box with street tires you'll have water retained in the tread which will cause you to loose traction at the line.

Lower your rear tire pressure down to 25psi. Just know that you'll need a way to get them back up to 36 psi before you leave the track.

For the first time or so you might just leave it in drive and punch it. It gets very nerve racking when going up to the line trying to remember everything to do. You're not out there to win anything so don't expect to get some bad ass time the first time out. Just get down the track without breaking anything for now and you're good.

Go up and watch the way people do a quick burn out and how they stage their car so you'll have a clue when you go to the line. Typically you pull up till you turn on your first stagging bulb...and then barely ease up until that second stagging bulb comes on. Then be ready to go....don't forget to leave on the last yellow and not green.

If you're in the far right lane (assuming it's the outer lane) and even if you finish first, always wait until the other guy is off the track first. Don't turn in front of someone unless you're 100% positive you won't get hit.

Go out and have fun. Don't worry about how fast the guy's car is next to you. All you're doing is working on your mechanics of getting a good launch and getting down the strip without any issues.....it's called "seat time" and you'll need plenty of it before you get any good.
Dude thanks for all that! It was what I was looking for. With my car just being stock its about having a little fun. With all the great info you gave me it will make it that much more!
Old 09-23-2011, 03:27 PM   #11
caverman

You'll have to play around with the your tire psi to get what's good for you. 25 psi on stock tires and wheels works decent for me. Tried going down to 22 psi one time and didn't like it. My best times were with 25 psi.

Maybe drop down to 29 psi or maybe 30 psi. See what happens. You can always take out more air.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
Old 09-23-2011, 03:36 PM   #12
caverman

Ok....no expert here so you don't have to do everything I say or do. This is just my procedure I use. I've been video taping lately to watch what I'm doing. This should at least give you an idea.

First off, notice how I drive around the water in the water box and then get my car straight. I then do a real small burn out which is really just getting the top layer off the tires. Then I pull up to the first staging light comes on. Then I barely ease forward until the second light comes on. Once that second light is on I get ready by grabbing the streering wheel, bring up the RPM, and trying to leave on that third yellow light.

Build Journal
Old 09-23-2011, 03:39 PM   #13
rykeith

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT M6
Which track? I'm thinking of going to a test and tune at National Trail Raceway in Hebron in October.
Old 09-23-2011, 05:03 PM   #14
apeko

Quote:
Originally Posted by rykeith View Post
Which track? I'm thinking of going to a test and tune at National Trail Raceway in Hebron in October.
Thomson raceway in Ohio oct 8.