Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Old 10-14-2011, 03:56 PM   #29
rolnslo
Rolling along...

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS SGM
bmorecam - I kept my V6 for 2 years and 3 months - 41600 miles. I don't think I would have even truly considered moving to an SS if the Aisin AY6 tranny wasn't such a piece of crap or if I really had other options for replacing the transmission with something better. I was headed down the same road I was on when GM replaced the first trans at 13k miles and I got tired of being on that one way road with no off-ramps. :(

The V6 certainly wasn't a bad car at all and I actually really enjoyed driving it when the transmission worked right.
Old 10-14-2011, 03:57 PM   #30
rolnslo
Rolling along...

Quote:
Originally Posted by drookster View Post
That's what I'm doing...Cheap!
Cheap is good sometimes...helps offset the fuel costs of an SS (when I can't keep my foot out of it). One of these days I may do the "how low can my mileage go" driving for a tank of gas.

Old 10-25-2011, 11:25 AM   #31
rolnslo
Rolling along...

Ugh...1300 miles and the first problem. No HEAT!

It's not like it's cold out here in Houston but I figured I'd run the heat this morning to clear the fog off the windshield. No go. Nothing but ambient air temp (~70deg) with the temp knob cranked on HOT! Ok, maybe it was just because I had it on defrost. Nope! Put it on floor and then dash but never had any hot air coming out at all. My 2010 could roast marshmellows when I cranked the heat and fan onto high. Guess I'm heading to the dealership later this week.

Really hoping it's not the heater core because I've read through the threads on replacing it and I really didn't want my windshield and dash taken out just to repair/replace the heater core.

Not happy.
Old 10-25-2011, 02:07 PM   #32
rolnslo
Rolling along...

What the hell...

So I went out at lunch and fired up the heater just to make sure I wasn't going crazy before I called the dealership and it worked perfectly - frigging hot air.

Ugh...I don't need odd electrical bugs in this car...I already own a Ford.
Old 10-25-2011, 04:52 PM   #33
Dangeruss
Bayoucitymusclecars.com

Drives: Camaro LSX
I had no idea man...just found this thread. Congrats and subscribed.
Dangeruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 06:13 PM   #34
rolnslo
Rolling along...

Thanks Russ. I made a brief appearance at the Texas Camaro Nationals with it (didn't run it because I had less than 200 miles on it at the time). Was only there for a couple of hours, most of it spent watching the track guys clean up the oil spills from the blown motors.

BTW: That last video you posted in your thread...holy hell your Camaro sounds awesome with that new engine under the hood!! LOVED the smokey take off down the street!
Old 10-25-2011, 06:25 PM   #35
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
Don't you just love electrical gremlins! Hopefully was a fluke. Build looks like going o.k. and nice plans for it I see. Have 350 miles on mine so far but mileage like yours, 17.3 on the first tank and 18.1 so far on the second, same type driving as usual except I am following the breakin proceedure, the part where it says dont lug the motor The m6 and hurst shifter is nice and not a problem in traffic really. I like the power and easy accel over the v6, cant even compare but are two animals. I was in 4th at 1000 rpm or so doing 40, rolled easily into the gas, not much really and doing 60 in no time!
Sat. Sneaks20 is coming over so I can see his 2011 SIM A6 SS. Well compare notes.
VR Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 06:52 PM   #36
Dangeruss
Bayoucitymusclecars.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolnslo View Post
Thanks Russ. I made a brief appearance at the Texas Camaro Nationals with it (didn't run it because I had less than 200 miles on it at the time). Was only there for a couple of hours, most of it spent watching the track guys clean up the oil spills from the blown motors.

BTW: That last video you posted in your thread...holy hell your Camaro sounds awesome with that new engine under the hood!! LOVED the smokey take off down the street!
Thanks bro. You need to come out to the H-Town meeting this weekend.
Old 10-25-2011, 07:00 PM   #37
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
NICE!! Vararam is BADASS, glad you are going that route. It is just so different than all the rest except New Era. Just can't beat it. Congrats on the new ride.
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 09:58 PM   #38
rolnslo
Rolling along...

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbee View Post
Don't you just love electrical gremlins! Hopefully was a fluke. Build looks like going o.k. and nice plans for it I see. Have 350 miles on mine so far but mileage like yours, 17.3 on the first tank and 18.1 so far on the second, same type driving as usual except I am following the breakin proceedure, the part where it says dont lug the motor The m6 and hurst shifter is nice and not a problem in traffic really. I like the power and easy accel over the v6, cant even compare but are two animals. I was in 4th at 1000 rpm or so doing 40, rolled easily into the gas, not much really and doing 60 in no time!
Sat. Sneaks20 is coming over so I can see his 2011 SIM A6 SS. Well compare notes.
Yeah, I keep having that same problem with acceleration in the SS. Really need to learn to keep it out of Sport mode.

Definitely a different animal than the V6 though. Each one has its own traits that make it a great car. I really loved the handling and balance of the V6 but love the power of the V8.
Old 10-25-2011, 10:01 PM   #39
rolnslo
Rolling along...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangeruss View Post
Thanks bro. You need to come out to the H-Town meeting this weekend.
Will try to make it out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackinBlackSS/RS View Post
NICE!! Vararam is BADASS, glad you are going that route. It is just so different than all the rest except New Era. Just can't beat it. Congrats on the new ride.
Definitely liking the Vararam intake...much to the chagrin of the debit card at the gas pump.
Old 10-25-2011, 10:11 PM   #40
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Subscribed... too.
Old 10-26-2011, 11:37 AM   #41
Dangeruss
Bayoucitymusclecars.com

Quote:
Awesome...hopefully we'll see you there.

Quote:
Definitely liking the Vararam intake...much to the chagrin of the debit card at the gas pump.
Don't want to hear you whine about the cost of gas. I can barely go long enough to get from one station to the next.
Old 10-26-2011, 11:41 AM   #42
rolnslo
Rolling along...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangeruss View Post
Awesome...hopefully we'll see you there.

Don't want to hear you whine about the cost of gas. I can barely go long enough to get from one station to the next.

Yeah, I'm sure you are no longer anywhere near the EPA numbers with your current setup.