Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 10-23-2011, 05:09 PM   #1
redirish

Drives: 10' IOM 2SS/RS/M6
cleaning rubber from burn out in wheel well

I ran the car yesterday at the track and washed it today. I have so much rubber stuck inside my back wheel wells and it would not come off. I ended up using a plastic spackle tool and some Green Wheel Cleaner. After spending about 30 min on each wheel well I still have some on there. What can I use to get the rubber off and what can I put on the well so it will come off easier next time?
redirish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 05:12 PM   #2
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
I use Turtle Tar & Bug remover, but mostly on the quarter panels and not inside the wheel well. It absolutely turns track rubber and VVT to mush... then you have to wipe it away with old rags.

Prior to hitting the track... use the blue painters tape on your paint... much easier to deal with that way...
Old 10-23-2011, 05:44 PM   #3
redirish

I have splash guards on so I didn't get much on the quarter panel it was all in the wheel wells. I will pick up some of the Turtle Tar and bug remover and clean them up. I wondering if I put some detail spray or wax on the wheels if that will help?
Old 10-23-2011, 05:55 PM   #4
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by redirish View Post
I have splash guards on so I didn't get much on the quarter panel it was all in the wheel wells. I will pick up some of the Turtle Tar and bug remover and clean them up. I wondering if I put some detail spray or wax on the wheels if that will help?
I never got anything on my wheels... but the Armour All wheel protectant will help keep brake dust down. Be sure you have plenty of old rags available with that tar remover... you'll need it...
Old 10-24-2011, 05:37 PM   #5
redirish

I did some research and came up with a producted called Geddex Burnout Guard. You are suppose to spray the wheel wells and quarter panel with it before you go to the track and then hose it off when you get back home. They say all the burnt rubber will come right off. Sounds like it worth a try!
Old 10-24-2011, 05:39 PM   #6
az2ss
HMFIC

Drives: 2016 1SS
Quote:
I did some research and came up with a producted called Geddex Burnout Guard. You are suppose to spray the wheel wells and quarter panel with it before you go to the track and then hose it off when you get back home. They say all the burnt rubber will come right off. Sounds like it worth a try!
That stuff is nothing more then Pam cooking oil with a marked up price tag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
az2ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 05:48 PM   #7
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
Pressure washer has always done well for me... at least getting the bulk of the rubber and track prep out of there. The rest of the liner is easily tackled with a long handled brush and a little APC.

I had to do this on all 4 wheels of my buddies 1000+ hp AWD Silverado SS and all the B&T remover in the world wouldn't touch it until I got the pressure washer out and knocked the biggest chunks lose first.
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 05:51 PM   #8
Ocikat

Drives: 2012 2LT 45th convertible
Try Adams undercariage cleaner, it keeps mine looking new, feels slightly slick to the touch when clean so perhaps the rubber won't stick so bad next time, I don't run mine on the 1/4 mile but the road track, different situation I know but I think it would be worth a try

Ocikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 06:06 PM   #9
redirish

Adam, I will have to use the pressure washer and then the APC/Brush next time. Ocikat, I never tried the under carriage cleaner but I have a small bottle of it. I will give it a try
Old 10-24-2011, 06:08 PM   #10
redirish

Quote:
Originally Posted by az2ss View Post
That stuff is nothing more then Pam cooking oil with a marked up price tag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I knew it was to good to be true! lol
Old 10-24-2011, 06:18 PM   #11
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
Quote:
I never tried the under carriage cleaner but I have a small bottle of it. I will give it a try
Keep us posted... its not something we advertise it for, but I'd be curious to know if it helps at all.
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 08:08 PM   #12
Ocikat

Drives: 2012 2LT 45th convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan@Adams View Post
Keep us posted... its not something we advertise it for, but I'd be curious to know if it helps at all.
I'm interested to see if this works for you also, I know it works really well for daily driving and the ocasional road trak excursion. good product !!

Ocikat is offline   Reply With Quote