Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 10-29-2011, 03:54 PM   #1
Bangarang

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT SIM w/ Carbon Fiber
SES Light Coming up

So I bought my 2010 Camaro LT used through an auto broker who didn't know much about the vehicle but it was a steal compared to other cars in BC. I took it in for an oil change and discovered there's a warranty block due to a tune that was installed by the previous owner. I somewhat expected this, as the car has had a lot of aftermarket parts installed on it, wasn't too upset about the warranty.

However, the Service Engine Soon just came up not too long ago (surprised it's taken this long because it has headers, exhaust, CAI, suspension upgrades) but now my remote start wont work. So, I'm wondering if there's any point in taking it to GM to get the code checked due to the fact that it's been tuned.

Will their diagnostic tool be able to work with a tuned ECM? Will they wipe my tune and I have to pay another shop to re-tune it? I'm not even sure what type of tuner was used on it so it's not like i can just buy another tuning tool and reset the code.

Winter's coming and I'd like to be able to start my car from inside the house rather than running out to it!
Bangarang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 05:33 PM   #2
BowlingSS
Camaro Owner Since 1987

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS L99 RJT
You need to get someone to read the code. It could be from the headers. I would not even take it to a dealer. They might want to put it back to the stock tune. If you do take it to a dealer have someone with HPTuners or EFILive read your tune and save it to a file. That way you can go back to your tuned one.

A number of AutoZones and Advance Autos will read your code for free. Record the code and come back to this site. We have a number of people that can help.

Good luck.

Bill
VMax Ported RJT Throttle Body
XSPower Headers and XSPower 3" Exhaust System
Elite Engineering Tunnel Brace,
Gorilla Wheel Lock System; Bear Rotors, Hawk HPS
Tinted Windows 35%;EFILive Tune
BowlingSS is offline   Reply With Quote