Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions > Gaming Lounge

Old 01-23-2012, 05:21 AM   #1
SILVERHAWK

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS, '22 Silverado Z71
Another 360 Unit bites the dust!!!

I'm starting to get a little pissed at Xbox. I had a white unit that lasted about a year when it went belly up. It suffered the symptoms of the Red Ring of Death, but never gave me the pleasure of seeing it. I sent it away and had it replaced under warranty. This unit went about another year or so and now its disc door gets stuck shut frequently. So I put this one in my spare room for a back up.
I bought a new black unit about this time last year. Guess what? Now this one is doing the same thing as the old white one. The unit tells me that the discs are unrecognizable or the game will actually start but then the game will freeze up. This happens intermittently, but like the last unit, I am sure it will get worse the longer we use it.
Just had to get out this frustration. I am sure they will cover this unit as well, but it gets old after a while.

Last edited by SILVERHAWK; 01-23-2012 at 09:10 AM.
SILVERHAWK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 08:11 AM   #2
Brokinarrow

Drives: 2012 Honda NC700x
Where do you have the box sitting? Make sure it's getting plenty of airflow, i have mine propped up off the shelf with a couple DVD cases, it has yet to have any issues. Course you might just have bed luck and keep managing to find lemon boxes :(
Old 01-23-2012, 09:19 AM   #3
SILVERHAWK

The unit sits on a shelf in my TV stand.... Its got lots of space all around it for air flow? 6 inches on each side (at least) and 4 inches over the top...also open to the rear of the game. I try to keep dust from collecting on the fins too. Guess I am just unlucky... Hell, anyone other system I have ever owned, we got rid of it just because it was nice to upgrade for better game play/graphics. I still have my Sega Genesis at my mother in laws beach house just for something to do if the weather gets bad at the beach. Somewhere in my basement is my Atari 2600. This is just horrible to have to deal with it once a year or so.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:42 PM   #4
yzrider58
Aviation guru

Drives: 10 1SS, 09 Acadia, 90 K1500 Z-71
It's time you got a PS3.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:47 PM   #5
SILVERHAWK

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzrider58 View Post
It's time you got a PS3.

Yeah, maybe I will have better luck
Old 01-26-2012, 11:19 PM   #6
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Drives: you wild...
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
It might be because there's no airflow getting to the system. How long is the unit on at a time? The unit might be heating the air around it and since there's no airflow to push the air around it.

Can you put the xbox on top of the shelf so there's open air all the way around it instead of being contained? I haven't had any issues with any 360 unit but I don't keep it in a cabinet.

The black box has been remodeled to avoid problems like that from what I understand, but I would take your next unit and give it open air, or a cabinet like you have with a small fan to push the hot air out so it doesn't accumulate above the unit.
Old 01-27-2012, 05:20 AM   #7
TRC-SS
700RWHP-650TQ

Drives: 2011 Forged LS3 Supercharged/Cammed
I caved and got the new all Black one.....When i traded mine in the guy said i had a "antique" haha.
Old 01-28-2012, 04:02 PM   #8
SILVERHAWK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindz View Post
It might be because there's no airflow getting to the system. How long is the unit on at a time? The unit might be heating the air around it and since there's no airflow to push the air around it.

Can you put the xbox on top of the shelf so there's open air all the way around it instead of being contained? I haven't had any issues with any 360 unit but I don't keep it in a cabinet.

The black box has been remodeled to avoid problems like that from what I understand, but I would take your next unit and give it open air, or a cabinet like you have with a small fan to push the hot air out so it doesn't accumulate above the unit.

Yeah, when I get this one back I will try to place it in a different spot, but honestly it shouldn't be having an air problem where it is. I mean its open to the front, rear, and 75 percent of the left side is wide open (just the side bar to the TV stand near it) its not like its in a mostly closed space like a normal shelving unit where there is a back on it... (like sitting in an open box) I'm leaning more towards.....dust....

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRC-SS View Post
I caved and got the new all Black one.....When i traded mine in the guy said i had a "antique" haha.

Yeah, the unit I just sent in....is one of the new black ones. BUT its was one of the first newer models to hit the shelves...maybe they had some older game boards left over
The used one I bought to tide me over is one of the modern warfare editions and has the same date code as my newer model black unit.

Last edited by SILVERHAWK; 01-28-2012 at 04:13 PM.
SILVERHAWK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 11:40 AM   #9
v6sonoma

Drives: 2010 SS RS
My Halo 3 console has been chugging away nicely since I bought it. Only problem is it sounds like a jet taking off whenever the disc drive is spinning but that's normal since day one. I mostly play PS3 since that's what everyone I know has but I still pick up a lot of 360 games too.

Mods: BBK Intake, BBK LT's and High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, SLP skip-shift eliminator.

7/1/09 Placed order for IOM/IO int/ SS/RS 6M
9/26/09 Took delivery!
v6sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 12:03 PM   #10
evan
ready...

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Consoles die, sort of a way of their life. PS3 or otherwise, it's bound to go.

One thing I did notice is air flow causes my xbox to perform a lot better, not lock up, and last longer. I had a fan pointed at mine while i played since day one. Only time i ever had an issue was if I forgot to turn it on---simpler solution is to buy a heat sink. Theres some nice ones out there that don't leech too much pwr from your xbox.
evan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 12:56 PM   #11
SirMike
Inland Empire Camaro Club

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS, 2015 Challenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by evan View Post
Consoles die, sort of a way of their life. PS3 or otherwise, it's bound to go.

One thing I did notice is air flow causes my xbox to perform a lot better, not lock up, and last longer. I had a fan pointed at mine while i played since day one. Only time i ever had an issue was if I forgot to turn it on---simpler solution is to buy a heat sink. Theres some nice ones out there that don't leech too much pwr from your xbox.
Kind of agree but the OP had this happen more than once. It does suck. Happend to me once. SUCKED!!! RROD.

With the prices we pay for 1)System, 2) Games and 3)xbox live I mean come on, we need something we can count on. My old xbox (non 360) still runs great.

Good luck OP, hope you get a great new one that does not overheat.

GAME ON!!!
Old 01-31-2012, 12:53 AM   #12
mastertypodemon
Late Night Crew

Drives: 2010 SIM 1LT
One of these works pretty well. I have one and it's pretty quiet and strong. It also stays on about a minute after you shut down the system to help cool it down faster.
mastertypodemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 09:30 AM   #13
SILVERHAWK

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirMike View Post
Kind of agree but the OP had this happen more than once. It does suck. Happend to me once. SUCKED!!! RROD.

With the prices we pay for 1)System, 2) Games and 3)xbox live I mean come on, we need something we can count on. My old xbox (non 360) still runs great.

Good luck OP, hope you get a great new one that does not overheat.

GAME ON!!!
Thanks, as a matter of fact, you are correct my old regular Xbox is still upstairs and works fine except the drive doesn't want to open sometimes. The kids still play it every now and then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastertypodemon View Post
One of these works pretty well. I have one and it's pretty quiet and strong. It also stays on about a minute after you shut down the system to help cool it down faster.
Good 411, guess I may have to consider one of these.
Old 02-10-2012, 02:59 PM   #14
IBM

Drives: '11 2LT/RS IBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brokinarrow View Post
Where do you have the box sitting? Make sure it's getting plenty of airflow, i have mine propped up off the shelf with a couple DVD cases, it has yet to have any issues. Course you might just have bed luck and keep managing to find lemon boxes :(
This. I took the sides off mine and it was a total mess. Reheated all the time.. but it's better after cleaning out all the dust.