Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V6

Old 02-02-2012, 09:46 AM   #1
FaytalsCamaro
Distributor of Liquor

Drives: My Wife Crazy
What mods should I install in preparation for FI

First let me start off by saying all of you guys are amazing. The wealth of knowledge that i have gained just by reading the threads here since I've gotten my camaro are priceless. 6 months ago if you had asked me about anything about a cars engine or how it works i would of looked at you with a look of confusion. So from me to all of you Thanks a Million!

So I'm patiently waiting for a supercharger worthwhile for our v6s (which so far all signs point to RX/Tracy as the lead choice) and i started to think that it would probably be to my best interest to start preparing my car for FI. Keep in mind my black beauty is completely stock aside from the MRT v1 that I got through research on here. Which on a side note sound amazing. But anyways what kind of of mods should I start getting for my car that will only make the transition into FI land that much easier. Any advice on particular manufacturers and pricing would be greatly appreciated.

So far all that i can think of is:
Suspension - but no idea who to go through
Rear wheel axle - to handle the power increase
LT headers - How much this will help i have no idea but i planned on getting them anyways
CAI - Which i plan on getting from Vararam
Catch Can - From RX

Thats all i got so far. If anything we could turn this into an informative thread for any other members wanting to go down the FI road but are clueless as where to start. Thanks in advance!

Edit: I also just realized im Auto transmission. Think i would have to upgrade it also?
FaytalsCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 10:10 AM   #2
JustFresh

Drives: 2011 1LT RS M6 Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by FaytalsCamaro View Post
First let me start off by saying all of you guys are amazing. The wealth of knowledge that i have gained just by reading the threads here since I've gotten my camaro are priceless. 6 months ago if you had asked me about anything about a cars engine or how it works i would of looked at you with a look of confusion. So from me to all of you Thanks a Million!

So I'm patiently waiting for a supercharger worthwhile for our v6s (which so far all signs point to RX/Tracy as the lead choice) and i started to think that it would probably be to my best interest to start preparing my car for FI. Keep in mind my black beauty is completely stock aside from the MRT v1 that I got through research on here. Which on a side note sound amazing. But anyways what kind of of mods should I start getting for my car that will only make the transition into FI land that much easier. Any advice on particular manufacturers and pricing would be greatly appreciated.

LT headers - How much this will help i have no idea but i planned on getting them anyways
Catch Can - From RX

Thats all i got so far. If anything we could turn this into an informative thread for any other members wanting to go down the FI road but are clueless as where to start. Thanks in advance!

Edit: I also just realized im Auto transmission. Think i would have to upgrade it also?
I am no expert but like you I pretty much read everything on here so a few things to note:

1. Suspension is always a great thing to upgrade...i'm happy with my Pfadt springs and I have heard their other parts are top notch. Getting the power to the ground is what matters most. I think most beef up their trailing arms etc. to eliminate wheel hop

2. Rear axle... I think that your axels will be fine for the power you will encounter when going FI

3. Hold off on headers until you decide which system you are going to go with as some systems won't work with them

4. CAI...if you plan on going FI then you won't need a cai as it will be removed for one that fits the blower or turbos

5.Catch can is a great idea! I really need to get one of those but get yours from Tracy@ RX as his are well recommended. I think once you go FI you will need one for crankcase evac...

6. Think about tire options too maybe? Those Pirelli P-Zeros don't offer the best grip even on my car haha

7. What will you be using your car for? Race? Daily driver?
JustFresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 11:10 AM   #3
FaytalsCamaro
Distributor of Liquor

actually its a DD. The supercharger is to renew that permagrin when it starts to fade a lil
Old 02-02-2012, 11:16 AM   #4
Amarr014
BAD BEE

Drives: very fast!
get everything ported... tb, Im, heads, and get the insulator... thats what im gonna be doing soon.
2011 V6 LS M6 | straight piped | HIDs | Injen CAI| 75 Shot NX nitrous|Trifecta Tune|RX ported TB,IM and matched heads, Isolator| RX Catch Can | AAC Red Halos | AAC Red interior lighting | Red bowties | 15% tint | Tinted Tails | SS wheels and tires | SS tips| Cat delete| Arc audio 10's| ******** box|Scosche&kenwood|
Amarr014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 11:39 AM   #5
bmorecam
Account Suspended

Drives: jealous vendors mad!! HAHA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FaytalsCamaro View Post

Catch Can - From RX

last time I talk to tracy all of those mods should be able to support the SC so mod away as you would normally do as long as your money let you
bmorecam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 11:44 AM   #6
JustFresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmorecam View Post
last time I talk to tracy all of those mods should be able to support the SC so mod away as you would normally do as long as your money let you
Even the vararam?
Old 02-02-2012, 12:28 PM   #7
TexasCamaro5
Bayou City Muscle Cars

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS
The Vararam intake will most likely be replaced if you get a centrifugal supercharger since the supercharger unit itself would be sitting somewhere in the location of the stock air box, but I would think Tracy would include the intake tube and filter needed with his supercharger kit.
TexasCamaro5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 01:59 PM   #8
Amenti

Drives: 2017 1SS Convertible
If you want to put down the extra power, you should prioritize suspension upgrades and some drag radials (if you're going to the track).

If you have an automatic transmission, you may wish to research a rear-differential swap (which necessitates driveshaft, wheel hub and rear axle swaps) in favor of a limited slip differential. If you opted to replace the V6/A6 pumpkin (3.27 ratio) with a V8/M6 pumpkin (3.45 ratio), you would also need a tune to compensate for the different final-drive ratio. Tracy actually did a rear-end swap on Gretchen's TT build; I and a couple of other members have also done rear-end swaps.

As others have stated, you wouldn't want to get a CAI; because, any forced induction solution would replace the CAI in favor of itself. In the case of headers, you would not necessarily want to get headers if you were leaning towards the RX twin-turbo solution; because, the differing lengths of various long-tube headers on the market would require Tracy to do a bit of custom fabrication in order to mount the turbos in a consistent location. That's not a concern with the RX supercharger, since it's compressing outside air instead of exhaust gases as with a turbo; so, you can go with whatever headers and exhaust you like.

Appearance Mods: RiderGraphix LS7 Front Fascia Blackout Vinyl, Gill Insert Vinyl, Rear Deck Lid Vinyl (Gloss Black), Gary's Customs Painted Bowties

Coming Soon: BMR Trailing Arms
Amenti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 02:06 PM   #9
SIXJAK

Drives: MO's only SC'd LLT.
I don't know of any SC options that are not compatible with LT headers. Am i wrong here? Great suggestions so far. You'll definitely want to upgrade suspension and brakes for sure.
IPF supercharger kit, IPF tune, SW LT's, R. Tech HFC's, ARK DT-S catback, SS Brembo brake upgrade, BC Racing adjustable coilovers, Hurst STS, Pfadt rear arm package, Pfadt adjustable sways & end links, Pfadt diff bushings, BMR rear cradle full kit blk bezels,SS diffuser, Innovate gauges.
SIXJAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 02:46 PM   #10
JustFresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIXJAK View Post
I don't know of any SC options that are not compatible with LT headers. Am i wrong here? Great suggestions so far. You'll definitely want to upgrade suspension and brakes for sure.

I didn't read that he only wanted a supercharger...was thinking turbo setups...My Bad!
Old 02-02-2012, 02:54 PM   #11
Pt_killa

Drives: Black 2010 Camaro V6
No rush to upgrade all components after you go FI as I've been using stock brakes, suspension, and rear dif (Auto 6) for 35,000 miles turboed. Brake rotors are still good, suspension is getting a little soft but still good. Transmission fluid will take a beating though so change that every 20,000 miles I suppose.
(Sold Sept 2015) Stock 18" Heritage w/ BFG G-Force ZR tires / Blacked out bowties and tail lights / DIY Remote-Mount Turbo Kit (Precision 6776S .81ar ex. @ 6.5psi, Tial 38mm WG, Greddy Type-S BOV) / RX Catch Can / RX-FTI 3600 Stall / Blue Well Lights / Team LLT
Pt_killa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 04:42 PM   #12
FaytalsCamaro
Distributor of Liquor

So...what I've gathered so far is that for my choice of supercharger over turbo I shouldn't worry too much about headers havin a problem. As far as CAI goes dont bother seeing as how SC is setup. Rear differential isnt required but recommended. As far as going to the track I would say once in a blue moon. So would you guys still prioritize suspension over stuff like headers and such?
Old 02-02-2012, 05:10 PM   #13
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
CAI is included in our SC system as is the APEX washer relocation kit but do anything you want w/exhaust. The catchcan if you buy it ahead of time we will convert to the dual valve system or just buy the dual valve from the start and cap the secondary valve until needed.
SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 05:15 PM   #14
Can't_C_Me
Don't Sleep on My V6

Drives: 2016 C7 1LT
^^^^^^As I was typing Tracy beat me to it

Ok these are the things you won't need when going any RX FI route. You won't need a CAI or a Catch Can. They both get upgraded to the RX FI versions. The Trans, Diff, and engine oil's is a must to keep thing properly lubed. Tracy upgrading all of mine to AMSoil's. Also get the AEM A/F gauge that Tracy offers for extra (you only get the boost/controller gauge with kit). And get some advice from Gretchen on beefing up your A6. I think he has done it all, I have a M6. But for a DD I don't think you would have to go crazy on the A6 upgrades. Suspension wise look at my sig and that is basiclly everything you will need to tame the power to the ground. My set up is good for 600hp (I will also be running Nitto's on the rear), The springs will come later after I get my skid plate mounted.