Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 03-14-2012, 07:09 AM   #1
allmotor
movin' down the motorway

Drives: Summiit White 2SS/RS/M6
COPO hood install

I'm looking into going with the Copo fiberglass hood and the way I see it, which is why I'm posting this thread, is that all I need to do is have a body shop install it. I have a shop that is highly recommended, but I haven't talked with them yet. I wanted to get as much info as possibile regarding installing an aftermarket hood.

So if anyone has had experience installing or having a fiberglass hood installed, I like to hear how everything went, things I should watch out for, what should I do with the underside of the hood, which I assume will be bare fiberglass. Any input/advice, will be greatly appreciated.

Mike

Old 03-14-2012, 07:55 AM   #2
DarkneSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS 6MT
My body shop guy told me to stay away from anything fiberglass when it comes to hoods, Take it as you may.
DarkneSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 08:20 AM   #3
allmotor
movin' down the motorway

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkneSS View Post
My body shop guy told me to stay away from anything fiberglass when it comes to hoods, Take it as you may.
Did he mention why?
Old 03-14-2012, 08:27 AM   #4
DarkneSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublefatty View Post
Did he mention why?
Something about heat expansion in the summer or winter when the engine starts heating up the engine bay. As well as fitment issues, but a good shop will take care of that, just costs money. And longevity. he said he could install it and make it look perfect no problem but it wouldnt last, 3-5 years?

Anything that expands and contracts constantly will probably run into issues, makes sense.

Again take it as you will, you will get many different opinions I imagine but I trust this guy a lot. He always takes care of me and strongly recommended not getting one.

Besides the stock hood is the lightest you can get, maybe find an aftermarket made of the same material? Will be more pricey though..

If I've concerned you, take the time to do a little research into reliability with fiberglass so you can make a good decision.

Good luck!
DarkneSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 08:33 AM   #5
allmotor
movin' down the motorway

Thanks for the input. Just more information to help me make an informed decision.
Old 03-14-2012, 09:22 AM   #6
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]

Drives: 2012 CRT NF Cammed 2SS/RS For Sale
The worry about fiberglass isnt really temperature, I mean the vette and my 4th gen both came with fiberglass panels from the factory.

The usual problem is fitment, you will almost always have issues with the aftermarket ones, steel hoods fit like 99% of the time out the box. Some fiberglass, or other composite hoods are even too far off to even sand or try to "fix" otherwise.

Id say read reviews but ive seen some of the more expensive and quality hoods on camaro5 come out perfect for some and be really far off for others.

Personally because of that I am only considering the ZL1 hood from GM as a possible replacement until I see one that fits 99% of the time.

The MPD1 hood and the sinister hood are most popular, but again Ive seen people with horrible fitting ones, so Im not sure about them anymore
Old 03-14-2012, 09:24 AM   #7
allmotor
movin' down the motorway

Quote:
Originally Posted by vroomapunk View Post
The worry about fiberglass isnt really temperature, I mean the vette and my 4th gen both came with fiberglass panels from the factory.

The usual problem is fitment, you will almost always have issues with the aftermarket ones, steel hoods fit like 99% of the time out the box. Some fiberglass, or other composite hoods are even too far off to even sand or try to "fix" otherwise.

Id say read reviews but ive seen some of the more expensive and quality hoods on camaro5 come out perfect for some and be really far off for others.

Personally because of that I am only considering the ZL1 hood from GM as a possible replacement until I see one that fits 99% of the time.

The MPD1 hood and the sinister hood are most popular, but again Ive seen people with horrible fitting ones, so Im not sure about them anymore
^^^^ that is what freaks me out..... no assurance of OEM fitment