Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 03-20-2012, 04:21 AM   #1
SixGracing

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3 A6
Switchable Tunes on Demand???

Does anyone know of a device that will work with HP tuners that I can install in my car that will allow me to switch tunes with the flip of a switch? I have two tunes for my car. One for its current mods running 91 octane and one that is tuned for 100 octane. Instead of having to load the files with a laptop it would be nice to be able to select the tune with a switch or button. Does this exist?

Thanks!
Old 03-20-2012, 09:27 AM   #2
grocerygetter
instigator

Drives: 2020 6.2 Trail Boss, 2022 XC90
Sct loader ... Or diablo
Old 03-20-2012, 11:08 AM   #3
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
I don't think the Camaro's ECM is capable of storing two tunes at a time to make this even possible. You'll have to wait and hear from one of the tuners here on the forums to make sure though.

The closest you'll be able to come to this is by using a handheld tuner such as SCT and keep it in your car and follow the programing procedure every time you want to change.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 11:56 AM   #4
Aries240SS

Drives: 2011 1SS RS Camaro, 1995 LSX 240SX
Unfortunately our cars can only store 1 tune at a time.
That said, with HP Tuners already, you can load the new tune in about 5 minutes, which will let you swap when you need to. It does suck to have to carry around the laptop all the time though.
Old 03-20-2012, 02:41 PM   #5
AiRDawG

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS
I have an old netbook with HPTuners installed and my dropbox (where I save my tunes on my desktop) set up so all I need is a wireless connection to sync up any changes to my tunes. I the netbook and a power inverter in the back of my passenger seat, the idea being that I can charge it up for a bit with the inverter, then put it on battery to write calibrations.

I'm not changing my tunes all that often, but I know I can be re-tuned or adjusted within 15 minutes, pretty much anywhere I am.
AiRDawG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 10:22 PM   #6
SixGracing

Cool, sort of what I've heard too. I probably won't be switching tunes all the time either and I guess the laptop isn't that big of a deal. Just thought it would be more batmobile to be able to switch a tune on demand.
Old 03-21-2012, 12:31 AM   #7
Nessal

Drives: Exige, Miata, Ghia
I liked how the VW guys can store like 3-4 tunes or something in their ECM. It has like 91 octane, 93 octane, 104 octane, and valet mode. Apparently you can't rev over 3k in valet or something.
Nessal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 02:48 AM   #8
Chrisco22

Drives: 2011 Chevy Camaro LS
Wow, not being able to rev over 3k in valet mode is an amazing idea. I did valet for about a year and the boss would give bonuses to whoever could run the car to the back lot the fastest. Not gunna lie, seen people top 90 in a matter of a two block drive in valet cars. I refuse to valet mine. I would never recommend it.
Chrisco22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 04:29 AM   #9
destroyerofu2
xbox360 tag

Drives: 2010 inferno orange 2SS
I have been looking at getting NOS and have seen where people have a regular tune and a diode to the MAF sensor hooked to a switch and run another tune (for like 200 shot of juice) with that (or timing or something of that effect) not sure how they do it but do know i have seen people do this. hope this helps.
It's mine, like it or not. http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108079
destroyerofu2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 05:38 AM   #10
Tampa Tuning
Account Suspended

Drives: TAMPA TUNING FACEBOOK & INSTAGRAM
Do a google search. Guys cant give away their used SCT handheld units. Pick one up for $75.00- $100.00 and keep the unit in your trunk and upload at will.
Tampa Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 06:57 AM   #11
SixGracing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampa Tuning View Post
Do a google search. Guys cant give away their used SCT handheld units. Pick one up for $75.00- $100.00 and keep the unit in your trunk and upload at will.

Good info, thanks!
Old 03-21-2012, 10:13 AM   #12
EliteCZM523

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
There is a way to do it, but its done through an EFI live custom OS. You can ground a specific pin on the ECM, and that will switch it to a different set of parameters. Not really a different tune, but usefull for things like a "meth only" spark table, or a on-demand switch that can be used for a race gas only tune.

Either way, this is something that IS possible to do, allthough with some limitations as to what can be changed/done.
EliteCZM523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 02:49 PM   #13
bigsquirrel
My car runs on acorns....

Drives: 2010 SS RS Inferno Orange
Quote:
Originally Posted by destroyerofu2 View Post
I have been looking at getting NOS and have seen where people have a regular tune and a diode to the MAF sensor hooked to a switch and run another tune (for like 200 shot of juice) with that (or timing or something of that effect) not sure how they do it but do know i have seen people do this. hope this helps.

This, depending on what you're doing. A great tuner can wire in resisters here and there that imitate cooler conditions so the engine advances the timing. My meth Kit is hooked up this way. When I turn it on effectively the car is looking for higher octane fuel and makes more power. When I turn it off it's looking for 91 octane. That way I don't have to worry about it all the time and the disaster that might happen if it malfunctions around town. I turn it on at the track and check for Functionality each time.

2.9 Polished Whipple, Kooks LT 1 7/8 headers, HiFlow Cats, Kooks Sleeper catback, Cooling Mist Methanol Injection, PFADT Sport Sways, PFADT Springs, PFADT rear trailing arms, ADM intake, JDP stainless brake lines, Jegs Catch can, Stock SS wheels widened to 10 3/4, Hawks HPS Pads, Pedders Rear Subframe Bushing Inserts, BMR Center Brace, MSD BAP, AAC side markers, Emblem Pro's Custom Lighted Door Sills, Dash-Floor-Cupholder ABL lighting and other stuff....
bigsquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote