Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

View Poll Results: if you definitely want a cylinder please chose V6 or SS. need to figure out how many
I own a V6 20 20.83%
I own a V6 but will wait for a core exchange 7 7.29%
I own a SS 50 52.08%
I own a SS but will wait for a core exchange 21 21.88%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-30-2012, 03:13 PM   #43
IDEALG
Chevy's "Rumble" Best!

Drives: 2015 ZL1 6 speed
Send a message via AIM to IDEALG
Quote:
Originally Posted by iHasCamaro View Post
Also...
Are there rubber bushings on the clutch slave cylinder on these cars? (replace with poly/solid metal)
How long is the slave cylinder plunger? (install longer plunger)
Are the clutch lines rubber? (replace with stainless lines)

The slave cylinder will only move as much the master cylinder will allow it.
Thats why with making the master cylinder flow more volume of fluid it will push the slave cylinder further provided theres enough room for it to move further.
Old 03-30-2012, 03:41 PM   #44
piticu667

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEALG View Post
I don't have a price yet. Part of the procedure to do this is costly doing one at a time. I'm trying to figure out how to do it cheaper doing 50 at a time. But I want to make sure it's going to work for everyone first
I wonder if expanding the master cylinder will fix our problem on the AY6? Do you guys know if the master cylinder is the same for both vehicles?
piticu667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 04:00 PM   #45
IDEALG
Chevy's "Rumble" Best!

Quote:
Originally Posted by piticu667 View Post
I wonder if expanding the master cylinder will fix our problem on the AY6? Do you guys know if the master cylinder is the same for both vehicles?
Its the same part number so i yes i believe its the same .

I would need a v6 car to try it out though
Old 03-30-2012, 04:09 PM   #46
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Interested.
Old 03-30-2012, 04:20 PM   #47
Synner

Drives: cars
Interested depending on price. Was going to do the lines and maybe a separate reservoir this year sometime, it'd be nice to do this at the same time.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 01:59 AM   #48
mrgm
cheap and fast

Drives: older
i would like to try. may not fit your grinding requirment. happens at low speeds also
mrgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 06:56 AM   #49
IDEALG
Chevy's "Rumble" Best!

I just want everyone to please understand that this fix is primarily for high rpm shift grind. if your transmission is grinding at low speeds you probably have internal transmission issues.

I suggest everyone to change their fluid to royal purple or red line.
I also suggest that you let the transmission reach full operating temp. before beating on your car and shifting aggressively.
Shifting aggressively or at high rpm with this transmission cold with most definitely cause a grind .

I dont blame you for wanting to try this if your trans grinds at low speeds and in some cases it may fix the problem but dont be disappointed if it doesn't. its most likely an internal trans problem at low speed grinds.
Old 03-31-2012, 11:22 AM   #50
J-Rod6410
M6 9 second club

Drives: A 4000 Lb BeaSSt
I love this idea, the master def needs to flow faster. Also another problem is the extremely long clutch pedal travel. If you're driving the car at high rpm's shifting it's very easy to not remove your foot off the clutch pedal completely which in turn overheats the fluid and throw-out bearing which melts the plastic sleeve on the slave cylinder and then the slave blows out! I'm on my 4th slave already.

If this master could be made adjustable also like the ones that Tick makes for other gm cars we would be able to shorten the pedal travel and still flow more volume of fluid and it would be alot easier to not ride the clutch pedal and overheat it and you can shift faster. Either that or make a better slave that can take the heat

I've installed the tick adjustable master on my GTO and it completely changed the vehicle. Clutch travel is at about 50% from stock and since it flows more with less travel no more grinding gears and you can shift alot faster.

But either way i would be interested in ANYTHING that would make shifting easier at high rpm. My tranny has grinded second since day one. I've also had the sticking clutch pedal at high rpm launches since day one. The Lingenfelter return spring kit eliminated that problem though.

So yeah add me to the list. I'm def interested
Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/6410Jrod
Follow me on Instagram: @J_Rod6410
J-Rod6410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 02:10 PM   #51
iHasCamaro

Drives: Silver 2012 1SS
Quote:
The slave cylinder will only move as much the master cylinder will allow it.
Thats why with making the master cylinder flow more volume of fluid it will push the slave cylinder further provided theres enough room for it to move further.
Right, but additionally...

Stainless lines will not expand as much as rubber lines, and so has the same effect as pushing more fluid.
No amount of extra fluid will be used effectively if the plunger in the slave cylinder isn't long enough to actually move further.
If there is more pressure acting on the clutch, but the slave cylinder is being pushed back instead of pushing the clutch more due to rubber bushings, none of the fixes in regard to fluid flowing will be as effective as they could be.

I'm just trying to help the people with the problem. I don't know the Camaro well enough to know about the bushings, plunger, etc but I think it would be worth investigating. Seems like you are just dismissing the ideas without even checking them out.
iHasCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 03:12 PM   #52
IDEALG
Chevy's "Rumble" Best!

Quote:
Right, but additionally...

Stainless lines will not expand as much as rubber lines, and so has the same effect as pushing more fluid.
No amount of extra fluid will be used effectively if the plunger in the slave cylinder isn't long enough to actually move further.
If there is more pressure acting on the clutch, but the slave cylinder is being pushed back instead of pushing the clutch more due to rubber bushings, none of the fixes in regard to fluid flowing will be as effective as they could be.

I'm just trying to help the people with the problem. I don't know the Camaro well enough to know about the bushings, plunger, etc but I think it would be worth investigating. Seems like you are just dismissing the ideas without even checking them out.
Im not disagreeing with you and i'm not dismissing the ideas but i cant change the slave cylinder and the plunger isnt reaching its end of travel. if the plunger is reaching the end of its travel then you could shim it out to make up the difference. Trust me i've been through this this isnt a scheme to make money. I've wasted thousands trying to solve my grind issue.
Old 03-31-2012, 03:15 PM   #53
IDEALG
Chevy's "Rumble" Best!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrrod6410 View Post
I love this idea, the master def needs to flow faster. Also another problem is the extremely long clutch pedal travel. If you're driving the car at high rpm's shifting it's very easy to not remove your foot off the clutch pedal completely which in turn overheats the fluid and throw-out bearing which melts the plastic sleeve on the slave cylinder and then the slave blows out! I'm on my 4th slave already.

If this master could be made adjustable also like the ones that Tick makes for other gm cars we would be able to shorten the pedal travel and still flow more volume of fluid and it would be alot easier to not ride the clutch pedal and overheat it and you can shift faster. Either that or make a better slave that can take the heat

I've installed the tick adjustable master on my GTO and it completely changed the vehicle. Clutch travel is at about 50% from stock and since it flows more with less travel no more grinding gears and you can shift alot faster.

But either way i would be interested in ANYTHING that would make shifting easier at high rpm. My tranny has grinded second since day one. I've also had the sticking clutch pedal at high rpm launches since day one. The Lingenfelter return spring kit eliminated that problem though.

So yeah add me to the list. I'm def interested
Thats why Tick hasn't come out with anything yet. they are trying to make one thats adjustable in my opinion. I dont know them or have heard from them. the problem is the clutch pedal has a sensor on it and using an adjustable master cylinder must create some kind of problem .

i'll have more details on mine next week, so everyone hang tight and maybe we can solve this
Old 03-31-2012, 03:25 PM   #54
iHasCamaro

Drives: Silver 2012 1SS
Quote:
Im not disagreeing with you and i'm not dismissing the ideas but i cant change the slave cylinder and the plunger isnt reaching its end of travel. if the plunger is reaching the end of its travel then you could shim it out to make up the difference. Trust me i've been through this this isnt a scheme to make money. I've wasted thousands trying to solve my grind issue.
Haha I wasn't accusing you of scheming for profit. You seem genuinely dedicated to solving the issue, so I was just trying to help you and all the others, and make sure you didn't have the blinders on.

Good luck to you and everyone else. I hope you get it sorted.
iHasCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 04:48 PM   #55
IDEALG
Chevy's "Rumble" Best!

Quote:
Haha I wasn't accusing you of scheming for profit. You seem genuinely dedicated to solving the issue, so I was just trying to help you and all the others, and make sure you didn't have the blinders on.

Good luck to you and everyone else. I hope you get it sorted.
No worries wasn't taking it that way i just want it to be clear that im here to help and that i've been dealing with this problem with my own car and its driving me nuts

Not sure what rubber bushings you are talking about either because the slaves on these cars dont have any rubber bushings. Anyway the only way i see to solve this problem is with the master cylinder.

I still need a volunteer from jersey or anyone willing to travel to me to test this cylinder out .
Old 03-31-2012, 07:10 PM   #56
gjarzabek009

Drives: 1LT
I'm interested, can you message me more details. I have a v6 m6
-VMAX Ported TB
-Maces 25mm Insulator
-Ported Intake manifolds (soon)
gjarzabek009 is offline   Reply With Quote