Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 04-06-2012, 02:47 PM   #1
Reborned

Drives: 2011 Black 2SS
Could the same happen to my/our cars?.....

So my best friend has a 5.0 mustang which needs a new engine.

Back in october i wanna say he installed a steda/steeda cai for his car, and a tune with an SCT tuner that tuned the car because the intake needed it. A week ago he threw a misfire code, and now he has discovered that two of his cylinders are dying. They both have lost 30% of the power that they give to the car. Now...he needs an entirely new 5.0 engine. Apparently he has been running lean (or rich i forget) and this is what caused the cylinders to bust. Does anyone have feedback on if this same danger could come to our cars? I am going to be honest that I have my car can tuned like his was with just a superchips tuner that turned off AFM and changed my shift points. He's telling me that his tune changed compression ratios and many other things. I am just wondering on if this situation makes sense to yall and if any canned tune such as the one i have until i can get a proper dyno tune will be safe? I love not having AFM on but am afraid now myself. My mods are a CAI and exhaust which is also what he had done. No LT's yet.

Thanks Camaro5 community!
Old 04-06-2012, 02:49 PM   #2
Camaro21

Drives: SOLD - 2013 M6 ZL1
I always use a Custom Tune from a Shop like Andy at ADM Performance in Lewisville to tune my engine. I wouldn't trust an "Out of the Box" tune. FWIW !!
Camaro21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 02:52 PM   #3
Reborned

I dont have 400 or 500 to just spend no offense :/ im a full time college student and the little handheld was really cheap as a friend of ours was getting rid of it :(

Im just afraid because his car seems like a good warning and also i have heard that the LS engines have had lifter failure problems
Old 04-06-2012, 03:34 PM   #4
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reborned View Post
I dont have 400 or 500 to just spend no offense :/ im a full time college student and the little handheld was really cheap as a friend of ours was getting rid of it :(

Im just afraid because his car seems like a good warning and also i have heard that the LS engines have had lifter failure problems
let me tell you a secret about modding cars. if you cannot afford to get good parts and good tunes. do not mod. this happens a lot when somebody goes cheap on parts and hurts there engine. in the long run cheap can cost more. also you realize that messing around with your tune, voids your warranty right ?
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 03:49 PM   #5
bhall82
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 SS/RS
Quote:

You can afford a 2SS but not a good tune????

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeSS View Post
let me tell you a secret about modding cars. if you cannot afford to get good parts and good tunes. do not mod. this happens a lot when somebody goes cheap on parts and hurts there engine. in the long run cheap can cost more. also you realize that messing around with your tune, voids your warranty right ?

THIS
bhall82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 04:02 PM   #6
Switchin2Chevy

Drives: Currently 2015 Mustang GT manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeSS View Post
I can't tell if you're serious....

just kidding. You made a good point there..
Switchin2Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 04:11 PM   #7
iHasCamaro

Drives: Silver 2012 1SS
If you change the intake it can change the amount of air that goes into the engine compared to whati it thinks is going into the engine in open loop operation. If it's MORE, the engine is running leaner than it thinks. Running too lean can damage your engine. You take responsibility for the operation of your engine add soon as you start changing things.

PS no tune can change the static compression ratio lol. That's why it's static.
iHasCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 04:15 PM   #8
bmorecam
Account Suspended

Drives: jealous vendors mad!! HAHA!!
what's so hard about investing on a good scanner and gauges I never understood why some peoples want to tune their car but doesn't want to make sure that their car is healthy. I don't care how good a tuner is, I would never be happy without seeing things with my own eyes. by the time your tuner see a log it might be too late.

Sent from my LG-P500 using Tapatalk
bmorecam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 04:18 PM   #9
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
So my best friend has a 5.0 mustang which needs a new engine.

Back in october i wanna say he installed a steda/steeda cai for his car, and a tune with an SCT tuner that tuned the car because the intake needed it. A week ago he threw a misfire code, and now he has discovered that two of his cylinders are dying. They both have lost 30% of the power that they give to the car. Now...he needs an entirely new 5.0 engine. Apparently he has been running lean (or rich i forget) and this is what caused the cylinders to bust. Does anyone have feedback on if this same danger could come to our cars? I am going to be honest that I have my car can tuned like his was with just a superchips tuner that turned off AFM and changed my shift points. He's telling me that his tune changed compression ratios and many other things. I am just wondering on if this situation makes sense to yall and if any canned tune such as the one i have until i can get a proper dyno tune will be safe? I love not having AFM on but am afraid now myself. My mods are a CAI and exhaust which is also what he had done. No LT's yet.

Thanks Camaro5 community!
The Mustang 5.0 is already set on Kill Right from the Factory, and the Yahoo Tuners Put More timing in them and they Break this is a well known issue.

We don't have these problems because we know better.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 05:01 PM   #10
Slowhawk

Drives: 1999 Trans Am
Blowing up new 5.0's is almost common.

The LS could certainly damage itself with a cold air but luckill gm has a very sensative knock system to pull timing.
Slowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 08:25 PM   #11
Reborned