Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 04-10-2012, 04:05 PM   #1
TBGreen40

Drives: 2011 Black 2SS
STOCK TUNE

I know this question has been asked a million time so don't kill me, but can the dealership tell if you have tuned and re-tuned to stock when you take it in?
Old 04-10-2012, 04:40 PM   #2
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
The ECM has a flash counter. Every time you tune, retune, or revert back to the stock tune you increase the counter. If that counter does not coincide with the number GM has, then yes they will be able to tell.

It should also be said that they only check the tune for major repairs or replacements involving the engine or drive train.

Also, personally with a cam installed I would not be willing to risk running the stock tune. You could very well cause more damage then what you originally had when you take the car in.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 05:27 PM   #3
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBGreen40 View Post
I know this question has been asked a million time so don't kill me, but can the dealership tell if you have tuned and re-tuned to stock when you take it in?
yes.

/thread

If you tune your car, GM can tell. Doesn't matter if you flash it back to stock. If you tune your car even just one time - your warranty is gone
Old 04-11-2012, 09:08 AM   #4
TBGreen40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
The ECM has a flash counter. Every time you tune, retune, or revert back to the stock tune you increase the counter. If that counter does not coincide with the number GM has, then yes they will be able to tell.

It should also be said that they only check the tune for major repairs or replacements involving the engine or drive train.

Also, personally with a cam installed I would not be willing to risk running the stock tune. You could very well cause more damage then what you originally had when you take the car in.
Oky dok. Since oil changes will not provoke them to check the the flash counter, I will not worry. If the motor grenades, I'm not taking it to GM anyway. I just don't want them giving me shit if a blinker goes out or the radio has problems.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:44 AM   #5
VanquisherSS
Hasbin of Stock Bottom HP

Drives: CTS-V Coupe, 04 TT Viper
Quote:
Oky dok. Since oil changes will not provoke them to check the the flash counter, I will not worry. If the motor grenades, I'm not taking it to GM anyway. I just don't want them giving me shit if a blinker goes out or the radio has problems.
They will not void your bumper to bumper warranty. Tuning voids your engine/powertrain warranty. Tuning your car has nothing to do with the stereo breaking or the window motor failing, etc. They'd have to prove it did and I'd like to see them try and prove that one.
VanquisherSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 01:31 PM   #6
TBGreen40

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanquisherSS View Post
They will not void your bumper to bumper warranty. Tuning voids your engine/powertrain warranty. Tuning your car has nothing to do with the stereo breaking or the window motor failing, etc. They'd have to prove it did and I'd like to see them try and prove that one.
Can't they make a case that tuning can affect other electronic signals, resulting in bad lights, or anything electrical, etc etc?

I knew I was on my own with the engine though.
Old 04-11-2012, 02:29 PM   #7
VanquisherSS
Hasbin of Stock Bottom HP

Drives: CTS-V Coupe, 04 TT Viper
Quote:
Can't they make a case that tuning can affect other electronic signals, resulting in bad lights, or anything electrical, etc etc?

Well i highly doubt they are going to check for a tune when performing work that isn't related to the engine/drivetrain. And I don't think they would do that I have had plenty of warranty related work done and I'm tuned. I wouldn't worry about it.
VanquisherSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 02:55 PM   #8
TBGreen40

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanquisherSS View Post
Well i highly doubt they are going to check for a tune when performing work that isn't related to the engine/drivetrain. And I don't think they would do that I have had plenty of warranty related work done and I'm tuned. I wouldn't worry about it.
Thanks!
Old 04-11-2012, 03:14 PM   #9
Mr_Draco

Quote:

Tuning? No.

Electrical only be an issue if you purchased something electrical (lights, motors, etc) and to power them you tapped them to an existing wire. Now if you was to have any problems with whatever that wire went to from factory, they could claim that your mod put an excessive load on that item which caused it to fail.
Old 04-12-2012, 02:15 PM   #10
AiRDawG

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS
Good point on tuning only voiding the powertrain warranty. So, in that same vein, what about my air conditioner not blowing cold after getting tuned? It seems that it's just a case of re-flashing the Body Control Module, but how do you think this would fall in regard to bumper-to-bumper or powertrain warranties?
AiRDawG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 03:13 PM   #11
Mr_Draco

Quote:
Originally Posted by AiRDawG View Post
Good point on tuning only voiding the powertrain warranty. So, in that same vein, what about my air conditioner not blowing cold after getting tuned? It seems that it's just a case of re-flashing the Body Control Module, but how do you think this would fall in regard to bumper-to-bumper or powertrain warranties?
If I'm not mistaken this falls under your bumper to bumper.
Old 04-12-2012, 03:25 PM   #12
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Yes and the cam might give you away also
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 12:44 AM   #13
LonghornLove
My Grille so Icey

Drives: Black 2SS/RS

:bangdesk:

HAHA J/K. everyone was a newbie at one point!

They won't check for something minor, anything big (engine, transmission, etc...) they will.

I'm convinced my local dealership would be too stupid to know anything about it.
They can't even tighten cats to the exhaust or put the plastic trim on the dash on better.(it was falling off, went to dealer to get it fixed, month later fail off). I'll stop there bc the list goes on and on.

With that said, I do remember hearing someone say someone from GM comes and checks the car for major repairs

WELCOME!

L99
LonghornLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 02:50 PM   #14
TBGreen40

Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
Yes and the cam might give you away also
Right! Hahaha nice one. The reason I asked was because I could return to stock(cam and everything) if something came up.