Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 04-10-2012, 08:34 PM   #1
Fnfalguy
Supreme Advisor

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS Convertible
Newbie Tune Question

I've only had my 2011 SS Convertible for about 2 months now. Since my purchase I've installed Magnaflow Mufflers and as soon as I get the cash, plan to do a CAI or K&N filter on the car. If I take my car to a shop to have it tuned does it void all GM factory warranties????? I have no plans to do anything more to the car but hoped that getting the tune would maximize my exhaust and intake performance. However, if the tune voids all of my warranties then I don't know that I want to do much more to the car.

Fnfalguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 09:07 PM   #2
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
If you tune, kiss your power train warranty good bye. You'll still have your warranty on everything else, just not your engine, tranny, and other drive train components.

Also, on your exhaust did you only get mufflers? If all you are going to do on your car is mufflers and a intake then don't waste your money on a tune. The tune will only give you 5-10 hp max. I would recommend getting at least a set of long tube headers and complete exhaust and a intake before spending the money on a tune.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 09:15 PM   #3
Fnfalguy
Supreme Advisor

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
If you tune, kiss your power train warranty good bye. You'll still have your warranty on everything else, just not your engine, tranny, and other drive train components.

Also, on your exhaust did you only get mufflers? If all you are going to do on your car is mufflers and a intake then don't waste your money on a tune. The tune will only give you 5-10 hp max. I would recommend getting at least a set of long tube headers and complete exhaust and a intake before spending the money on a tune.

Thanks so much for the advice! I figured that the tune would void the warranty so I'll consider this again once I get past the standard warranty period I guess. Regarding my muffler upgrade I only got the Magnaflow mufflers however the resonator (sp?) was also removed so I believe that I have straight pipes all the way back to my new mufflers now.
Fnfalguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 05:18 AM   #4
JLE58

Drives: CGM,twin turbo, cam 2010 SS/RS
Quote:

I would just go talk to my local dealership and see what it will void and how they feel about it.

By Law they CAN NOT void your whole warranty for a tune. They would have to provide reason of how the tune cause the damage on the part in for warranty. You have rights by law.
JLE58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 05:50 AM   #5
HufferSS
I Wanna Go Faster!!

Drives: 2011 2SS Synergy Green M6
For mufflers and a CAI I don't really think a tune is all that necessary anyways.....if you added LTs and high flow cats then yes but not just these mods.
RPM Level 7 4L80e + Coan Converter
Hendrix 9" Rear Axle + 3.50 Gear
ARH 2" LTs+3.5" Exhaust
Fore Fuel System, Bogarts + Hoosier Slicks
Pfadt Drag Pack Suspension
My Build Thread | Best Pass To Date
HufferSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 09:32 AM   #6
Mr_Draco

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLE58 View Post
I would just go talk to my local dealership and see what it will void and how they feel about it.

By Law they CAN NOT void your whole warranty for a tune. They would have to provide reason of how the tune cause the damage on the part in for warranty. You have rights by law.
Well first, it's not up to the dealer to say what it will void and what it won't, this decision is up to GM. The dealer may tell you one thing but if something breaks and GM says no then your dealer will not work on it no matter what they originally told you because GM will not pay for the work.

M&M really isn't worth the paper it's wrote on. Manufacturers have spent hundreds of thousands of dollars running numerous tests showing that any changes outside of factory spec can and does result in unknown damage and premature failure. In a court of law it actually falls on the owner to prove that his mod did not cause the damage and to disprove all the testing the manufacturer has done. The cost of fighting a reasonable denied claim will easily far exceed the cost of the car and I've never seen anyone win.
Old 04-11-2012, 01:43 PM   #7
JLE58

Quote:
Well first, it's not up to the dealer to say what it will void and what it won't, this decision is up to GM. The dealer may tell you one thing but if something breaks and GM says no then your dealer will not work on it no matter what they originally told you because GM will not pay for the work.

M&M really isn't worth the paper it's wrote on. Manufacturers have spent hundreds of thousands of dollars running numerous tests showing that any changes outside of factory spec can and does result in unknown damage and premature failure. In a court of law it actually falls on the owner to prove that his mod did not cause the damage and to disprove all the testing the manufacturer has done. The cost of fighting a reasonable denied claim will easily far exceed the cost of the car and I've never seen anyone win.
There are plenty of people including me that's had warranty work with a car that has been tuned over the last 10 years.
Old 04-11-2012, 03:24 PM   #8
geaux_tigerss

Drives: 2019 GMC Sierra 1500 AT4
If your car is an auto, then the tranny tune can make a night and day difference. Motor wise it really isn't worth it until you get headers or more.

The tune will likely make is very difficult if not impossible to obtain warranty work on drive train repairs (motor, transmission, differential, axles, driveshaft). It depends on the dealer.

The tune will not affect the bumper to bumper warranty on the rest of the car (windshield wiper motors, power windows, heated seats, etc.).

Some dealers will be pains in the ass regardless of any of this.
geaux_tigerss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 03:55 PM   #9
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:

Quote:
There are plenty of people including me that's had warranty work with a car that has been tuned over the last 10 years.
No.

If you tune your car your power train warranty is gone. Period. You want GM to prove the tune is the problem? Here: "by tuning the car you changed the operating parameters of the engine. There by putting more stress on the engine then it was designed to handle." Now if you go in for say your leather seats cracking you'll be fine. As your leather seats are covered under bumper to bumper
Old 04-11-2012, 04:11 PM   #10
Mr_Draco

Quote:
Apparently you missed these 3 little words "power train warranty".

There's nothing stopping you from still getting warranty work done on a tuned car. You just won't get warranty work done on your power train. Also not every warranty claim will result in the dealer checking for a tune. Only major replacement or repairs to a power train item requires a dealer to check.
Old 04-11-2012, 05:01 PM   #11
JLE58

Apparently you didnt read what I said. There has been plenty of people including me That has had warranty work done on a tuned car. I've never had a problem with my camaro but this isn't by far the first LSx car I've owned. Yall are trying to say if someone gets a Cai, and long tubes with a tune if the axles brake they aren't going to cover under warranty. I had gm replace a whole rear end replaced twice in a f body bolt on car with a tune. You guys must be going to the wrong dealer or you have never even tried and just assume you cant. This is exactly why I said he need to talk to his dealer.
Old 04-11-2012, 06:11 PM   #12
Mr_Draco

Quote:
Yall are trying to say if someone gets a Cai, and long tubes with a tune if the axles brake they aren't going to cover under warranty.
That's not what anyone is saying. Read the post above yours.

Quote:
Also not every warranty claim will result in the dealer checking for a tune. Only major replacement or repairs to a power train item requires a dealer to check.
Axles and rear differential isn't classified as major in GM's book and thus doesn't require the dealer to check for a tune.
Old 04-11-2012, 06:38 PM   #13
JLE58

[QUOTE=Mr_Draco;4786508]If you tune, kiss your power train warranty good bye. You'll still have your warranty on everything else, just not your engine, tranny, and other drive train components.

You said it....

Maybe I should just say I have always Had good dealings with my dealer when I had to have warranty work and leave it at that.

Last edited by JLE58; 04-11-2012 at 08:48 PM.
Old 04-18-2012, 06:58 PM   #14
foxygrandpa55

Drives: 2012 IOM 2SS/RS
Ok well what about this? Say you purchase a tuner that allows you to re-program the computer back to stock if you need to take it back to the dealership for something. Would a dealership be able to see if the car had been tuned?
foxygrandpa55 is offline   Reply With Quote