Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 04-13-2012, 03:39 PM   #1
SSFury
My Road Rage is Legendary

Drives: 2011 IOM 2SS/RS "Fury"
Area Behind Taillights?

Ok.. I made a silly mistake. I was removing my taillights, and dropped my wrench. Normally that shouldnt be an issue with taillights.. unfortunatly for me, our cars have a nice little "Channel" at the very trailing edge right underneath the taillights, that allows dropped objects..(like wrenches) to fall down below.

I looked up from below, under the rear valance, and all I can see is the bottom of the trunk. This channel was designed for water to drip through when you open the trun, and water runs off the trunk lid into the recessed around the trunk lid. But does anyone have any idea how to get into that area to retrieve things? Like 10mm wrenches..
Old 04-13-2012, 03:42 PM   #2
ORANGA2D

Drives: 2011 IOM 2SS/RS M6
Ack, that sucks. Sorry man, hope someone knows the secret to get in there. GL!
ORANGA2D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 04:13 PM   #3
rolnslo
Rolling along...

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS SGM
I was thinking the photos in this thread might help but I doubt it after taking a closer look...http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9545

Best option would be to go buy some sort of magnetic snake tool and see if you can fish the wrench out...http://www.amazon.com/TEKTON-7611-24.../dp/B000NPR3ZW

Good luck. I hate it when I drop things into places I can't easily reach.
Old 04-13-2012, 04:20 PM   #4
y2k king

Drives: 2011 ss camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolnslo View Post
I was thinking the photos in this thread might help but I doubt it after taking a closer look...http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9545

Best option would be to go buy some sort of magnetic snake tool and see if you can fish the wrench out...http://www.amazon.com/TEKTON-7611-24.../dp/B000NPR3ZW

Good luck. I hate it when I drop things into places I can't easily reach.
yeah, get one of these snake magnet tools. you'll be needing again, believe me.
fyi...i always jam a towel down spaces like that to keep nuts and bolts from disappearing on me. been loosin stuff for too many years.
Old 04-14-2012, 01:02 PM   #5
SSFury
My Road Rage is Legendary

Drives: 2011 IOM 2SS/RS "Fury"
A towel? I actually... wouldnt have thought of that. I hadnt anticipated dropping anything, but thats when it gets you i suppose. Thanks for the pics rolnslo, they actually do help..
Old 05-27-2015, 07:36 AM   #6
Guelphguy

Drives: 2013 - 2SS Vert
I just changed my taillights last night and did just this, lost a 10mm wrench down that channel that the wrench has now disappeared somewhere in behind the bumper skin. I also looked underneath and can see anywhere that I can access that area?
I drove the car this morning, turned a corner, heard a metal clank from the rear....assuming that the wrench is now lodged somewhere back there....no more noise rest of the drive however.
I assume that the wrench is just there for a surprise should I or someone else ever remove the bumper skin?
It won't cause any problem just leaving it there? Would it?
Guelphguy is offline   Reply With Quote